Back to forum
rss 152 weeks ago
Thanks to Jackpot777 for the idea. Illustrator halftone dots took me a while to figure out myself, so I'm sure these tips will help out lots a few artists out there!

Illustrator halftone dots are a bit more involved and resource intensive, so if you have a sub-great machine it might chug like goo up a straw.

Here we go:

1) Draw your shape

2) Give it a gradient fill (black to white, or grey to white. The lighter the black the less dense the dots will be)

3) Make sure there's no stroke

4) Top menu > Effect > Pixilate > Colour Halftone

5) Max Radius controls how big the dots will be, The screen angles can be left well along as we're dealing with just black. Say ok.

6) Top menu > Object > Expand Appearance

7) Top menu > Object > Live trace > Make and Expand

8) Double click the object to go into that object layer,

9) Press [a] for the Direct-Selection tool,

10) Select any white piece of the resultant object

11) Top menu > Select > Same > Fill colour

12) Press [delete]

13) Now you have a piece of halftone in illustrator that you can move and delete down the the last vector!

14Comments
    152 weeks ago
    You. Are. The. MAN!!
    152 weeks ago
    also very good, as I use both programmes

kthx
    152 weeks ago
    Great tips, Jackpot777 & Tuism! Just an added tip to Tuism's... You can use a gradient mesh for this, too. It doesn't have to be the generic "linear" or "radial".
    151 weeks ago
    If you click "ignore white" in the Live Trace dialog you don't have to fiddle with deleting the white parts manually.
    151 weeks ago
    I use Photoshop, and here's what I do:

1) Make my gradient on a new layer (Ex. Black to transparent over a layer of white)

2) Ctrl+Click on Layer icon to select it (Cmd+Click on Mac)

3) Switch to Quick Mask Mode (Q)

4) Filter>Pixelate>Color Halftone (Values I use are radius=4, 0, 0, 0, and 90 or 45, depending on angle of gradient.)

5) Disable Quick Mask Mode (Q)

6) On a New Layer, fill the selection with the color of the Gradient (In the example, Black)

7) De-select, and hide Gradient layer

It works out pretty well for me.
    151 weeks ago
    roofoo that's a nice tip :) I'll remember that!

OEBlaze, I used to do that too, well still do - but I make most of my designs in Illustrator now, so porting halftone to Illustrator is irritating and slow :)
    151 weeks ago
    Yessssssss! Thanks so much!
    148 weeks ago
    thanks!
    148 weeks ago
    So im using cs5 and when I do it this way all I seem to end up with is a black mass at the bottom of the shapes gradient. The dots don't seem to taper down towards the lighter side of the gradient. Suggestions?
    148 weeks ago
    beware1984 said: So im using cs5 and when I do it this way all I seem to end up with is a black mass at the bottom of the shapes gradient. The dots don't seem to taper down towards the lighter side of the gradient. Suggestions?

Put a white background under it on the same Layer. Let me know if that works...
    148 weeks ago
    beware1984 said: So im using cs5 and when I do it this way all I seem to end up with is a black mass at the bottom of the shapes gradient. The dots don't seem to taper down towards the lighter side of the gradient. Suggestions?

Make your gradient much more obvious - like from black to white. And then try it again. Subtle gradients don't really work out so well.
    147 weeks ago
    Began using illustrator> Bookmarked this page.

135 weeks ago
    I'm trying to make a highlight on a black object, so I can't delete white if that's what I want to show up, but I'm left with a white box behind my halftone dots. Any tips to get rid of the box but not the white halftone? I'm kinda stuck!
    135 weeks ago
    Is it better ? Using Illustrator i mean, than using Photoshop