This might be a stupid question but....I was wondering if you used blue all over an area for example, then used a lighter blue for highlight (or vice versa, a darker blue for shading). Would those variations of solid shades of blue count as two colors? I'm guessing it does, but I was wondering how artists do this and get away with the 6 color limit? I read something about halftones...but what are they and how would one use them?

Also, I read that you can only have 5 colors with dark shirts and 6 colors with light shirts, but I also read that it is now 6 colors dark OR light, could someone clarify that for me?

Thank you very much for your help!
3Comments
  • image zipper
    39 weeks ago
    Yes, it would count as two colors. Many artists use halftones to give the appearance of more ink colors. They're a series of small dots, as can be seen in the background of this design. Google and you should be able to find guides that will show you how to create them in your art program of choice.

The color limit is currently six colors on all shirts. Please read the TeeFury Design Guidelines post for more information about design requirements :)
    37 weeks ago
    Great, thank you for your help! How about gradients? I see them used a lot with halftones...does that mean they are printed with just one color? (Sorry I'm completely new to halftones!)
  • image zipper
    37 weeks ago
    Bowtiescool said: Great, thank you for your help! How about gradients? I see them used a lot with halftones...does that mean they are printed with just one color? (Sorry I'm completely new to halftones!)

You can create a pattern of one ink color halftones that looks like a gradient :) I'd suggest doing some googling for tutorials if you need help figuring out how to do it.