Back to forum
rss 43 weeks ago
Im working on a Beatles tee, just wondering if its "pop culture" enough for a site like this.

Here is the wip.

The point is that the title and the actual semaphore is switched, with the "new unknown john vocalist" conspiracy added as a sub title. The album is HELP if anyone wondered.

Thanks
5Comments
    43 weeks ago
    If I recall correctly Teefury previously had a purely Beatles design that was taken down due to the copyright holder contacting them. So such a design is probably in the reject pile for them even before you submit it.

For what it's worth, I don't believe this is a particularly strong idea. I think the idea is obscure. Perhaps more avid Beatles fans will get it, but it's an often repeated saying that if the joke has to be explained, it doesn't work.

Sometimes, speaking from my own experience here, you get an idea in your head that turns out to be not nearly as cool as you thought it was. The best I've managed to savage from hours/days wasted on designs like that is a few elements I may be able to reuse elsewhere. Getting honest feedback early on helps you decide whether you want to continue.

If you decide to continue with this design I'd suggest choosing a better font (perhaps making a font and the design overall imitate the album cover). Also lose the blue gradient, I think it's not working and a tidy solid color would look nicer.

Hope this helps. (no pun intended)
    43 weeks ago
    Thanks for the honest feedback, I agree on most of your points. The font was planned to be changed, imitating the album cover.
    And yes, its probably to obscure a reference :)
    Thanks again
    43 weeks ago
    You're welcome.

I just noticed I typo'd salvage as savage. Though it accurately reflects my feeling on designs I worked ages on that turned out not to sell. The unexpectedly popular designs kind of make up for it though. :)
    43 weeks ago
    Yeah, I'd agree with Chuffy - a Beatles idea could work, but it'd have to be recognizable for a lot of people. I'm aware of the album, but I didn't recognize this as a reference to it until you explained it.

I'd say chalk this one up as practice, salvage any elements you can, and move on...
    43 weeks ago
    Yeah, I'd agree with Chuffy - a Beatles idea could work, but it'd have to be recognizable for a lot of people. I'm aware of the album, but I didn't recognize this as a reference to it until you explained it.

I'd say chalk this one up as practice, salvage any elements you can, and move on...