Back to forum
rss 89 weeks ago
My submissions to TeeFury for August 2012.

You may need to refresh the page once or click the image links if you don't see any pictures

'Star Princess' is Princess Leia as Betty Boop or is that the other way round? Look at the pretty picture and squee.

Star Princess Link to Image

Inspired by that awesome game 'Plants vs Zombies' by Popcap (you really should try it if you haven't already, it's very very good), 'Deadly Harvest' pays tribute to the seed company from the game that keeps your lawn secure and your brains safe from the Zombies.

Deadly Harvest Link to Image

After 3 days solid of working on these and some other designs, my eyes are burning. Hopefully I should have some more new ones soon. If I submit additional designs this month they will appear in this thread, scroll down to check. :)
7Comments
    89 weeks ago
    Nice work Chuffy! Great job on the Betty Boop mash up. Very creative and well done. I have to say thought I really like the Bloom and Doom tee. Solid design! The only thing that bothers me is that it's a little copy heavy. I've never played the game so I wouldn't know but could you eliminate the line"Protect your lawn..." and just enlarge the Fruit, Veg text? Either way... nice work.
    88 weeks ago
    Thanks. :)

Yes Deadly Harvest is copy heavy, the intent was to look like a Victorian era print ad slightly pre art deco. At first glance people should think it's a T-shirt for a real seed company, that's why the mention of seeds and plant types are more prominent.

Hitting the balance between good design and getting all the gags in was tricky. There are too many words there, it's a valid criticism which I accept. I don't think there's a way to satisfy good design 100% without reducing the joke count, so I went with mostly right and the extra pun.

Definitely play Plants vs Zombies, it's available on just about any format PC/Mac/Console/Tablet/etc http://www.popcap.com/games/plants-vs-zombies/home
    88 weeks ago
    I have another piece which will probably be finished in the next day or two. So keep your eyes peeled in amongst all the tee trade threads. A sub-forum just for trades is long overdue.

On the upcoming design, Pokemon fans should watch this space. :)
    88 weeks ago
    The Bloom & Doom design is awesome, although I would perhaps add another colour (which would help break up the amount of text a little) and possibly go for slightly more neutral colours on a lighter shirt - whilst the brightness is wonderfully in keeping with PvZ, it detracts from the victorian style - in my opinion at any rate.

Also I concur with the suggestion for a sub forum for trades, it makes me sad to see an appeal for help knocked off the front page for the sake of someone bumping their thread for a design they've missed (particularly if it's me appealling for help...)
    88 weeks ago
    Thanks for your comment. :)

I had always intended this to be a single color design. When I creating it, it was laid out in black over white. I usually start in black and white, something of a hold over from roughing out a design in pencil first.

I played about with the colour quite a bit and decided on a joyful bright green, as this was more in keeping with fun palette of PvZ than a dark color or black. Obviously a lurid bright green is slightly at odds with the Victorian style reference, but as you know Plants versus Zombies is a pretty wacky game. Here and in my design the green represents life, the plants themselves and the color of the lawn. Hopefully the choice now makes a bit more sense. :)
    88 weeks ago
    Another submission just finished this evening. As promised here is a Pokémon design. Inspired by the famous Pop Art Campbell's Soup prints by Andy Warhol, it plays off a Super Effective pun and the fact the soup labels have the same color scheme as a pokéball.

Fans of Pokémon will note the Fleurs-de-lis from the original Campbell's Soup label have been replaced by tiny silhouettes of Charizard. But fear not, no Pokémon were harmed, it's noodle soup. ;)

Souper Effective Link to Image
    soupereffectivepromo.jpg
    88 weeks ago
    By some unintended coincidence I managed to finish the design above on Andy Warhol's Birthday. :)