Back to forum
rss 268 weeks ago
hey mac users - I've been working on the same G4 dual drive power pc for about 5 years now. It still runs decently - smaller stuff - totally not a problem. But the more detailed vectors or the larger res raster files are seriously killing me. I've maxed this one out on RAM (at a whopping 2GB) and have decided that it may be time to get a new machine.

So - I aim this at mac users that work on medium/larger sized illustrations. What are you using? What do you recommend? I'd love to buy a fully loaded mac pro, but that's probably not going to happen. A refurb would be more likely. Or a new imac/mac mini. Recommendations?

just thought I'd ask. thanks!
12Comments
    268 weeks ago
    seriously nothing??
    268 weeks ago
    I use a MacBook, bought 2 yrs ago, just the very basic model (don't know how to look up the RAM). I am using Adobe CS3 Photoshop and it seems to do fine, unless the files are very large. It does lag quite a bit with larger files (>70mB). The largest file I was working on was about 30x30in, 3 layers, 300dpi, and it was about 170MB, and would crash all the time.
    When I bought this laptop, I didn't use photoshop or work with t-shirt designs, so I thought that the basic model was enough. Now I wish I had bought a better version...
    267 weeks ago
    I'm not smart at computer specs, so when I need a new one I usually just go to the refurb section of the Apple store and buy the most recent and most ram-having of the laptops listed. My current one is at 2gigs, but hasn't felt like its holding me back yet :)
    267 weeks ago
    I hate Macs.

Stupid no cut/paste.

Oh Im sorry, when you hit maximize, we are just joking. Do it manually fool!

For the price of a mid range Mac, you can get a killer PC, but Im not here to convert you from the dark side, regardless of if it's aesthetically more appealing in design style, and trendy.

267 weeks ago
    Haha, you do get used to the cut paste (that is only for files also). It actually does help to make sure you don't cut a file and then forget about it and lose it. You can simply drag the file where you need it, ha.

Many programs on Mac do maximize now, such as Firefox. Some don't, but usually so you can work easily between apps. I suppose that is personal preference though.

I say, get whatever makes you happy. I am very happy with my Early '08 Macbook Pro with 2GB of ram (wanting two more though), runs Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign all pretty damn well.
    267 weeks ago
    I guess I'm looking for someone that works with HUGE files on a regular basis. I do a lot of color fill work for kids' books. Sometimes the files get 150+ layers deep - at 14x7 300dpi, it lags a lot. I also do a lot of poster art - in Illustrator it's not a HUGE problem, but photoshop runs really slow - painfully slow. I have 2gb RAM now - it runs small/medium files pretty fast...I'm just maxed out on my RAM limit and I need to go FASTER!!

jimi - I specifically said MAC USERS. If you want to talk about PCs, you should start a new thread about quicken or word or something.
    267 weeks ago
    I have a newer iMac (not the one that was released this week) and use CS2. I also work on heavy, deep-layered illustrations and have never had a problem. Sounds like you simply need more than 2GBs!
    267 weeks ago
    that's what I'm wanting to hear. I was just wondering how far I had to go up the mac ladder to work productively. I think an imac might be the direction I'm heading.

this G4 is still a great machine, it just can't handle everything and it's gone as far as it can go...

thanks lquesada1976!
    266 weeks ago
    I hate Macs.

Stupid no cut/paste.

Oh Im sorry, when you hit maximize, we are just joking. Do it manually fool!

I laughed at the maximize thing, but what are you talking about with no cut/paste? I've never used a Mac that didn't have cut/paste. Here, I'll do it right

now. now. now. now. now. now. now. now. now. now. now. now. now.
    265 weeks ago
    I find it fun to invert the colors on my friends Macs.
    Most of the time the don't know how to change it back to normal.
    Control-Alt-Apple-8.
    Get's 'em every time.
    265 weeks ago
    use a tandy
    262 weeks ago
    I have an emac, but someone I know uses a mac mini and it works great. And also one of my friends has an imac that's great too. If you can I would get the imac.

I find it fun to invert the colors on my friends Macs. ---that's very fun!!