Back to forum
rss 129 weeks ago
HAPPY U-DAY, WAR IS OVER!

somehow making some sticker designs for an upcoming sale elsewhere turned into another Firefly-themed submission. it's certainly not the kind of illustration-heavy design I usually submit, but it's simple & effective. I'd wear it.

nothing much to say, just been foolin' around with CorelX5, avoiding battle dates, Serenity shapes, overused quotes and brown shirts (they're called Browncoats, not Brownshirts after all). Also, it does not say 'browncoats' anywhere, the design simply IS browncoats).

pays tribute to Mal''s & Zoe's unit, the 57th Overlanders. nothing more ... no puns, just guns.

Photobucket

so, here's my issue: the star on the Independents flag. I realize that there is an ongoing debate whether this has to be pointing up or down. the show itself isn't consistent about that issue, but I do think it looks way cooler up-side-down (it's also the way shirt artists like Matt Dearden or WinterArtwork used it).

I may have to reduce the size of the laurel wreath, but other than that ... that's basically it. distressed look, 4 colours on an army-green shirt (what else). suggestions? critiques?

PS: on a sidenote: you can win stickers related to that design, check my facebook to see how

PPS: also, I finally have a date for my LOSTeam design. I'll keep you posted
5Comments
    129 weeks ago
    ah, now I see why the laurel wreath came out so big: I used the wrong file for the mock-up. head@desk. made this between 2 and 3am, sorry

here's the definite version of the design
    Photobucket
    129 weeks ago
    It's a fairly obscure reference - but would definitely appeal to the hardcore Browncoats among us, of which there are plenty! The design is great though, good job :)
    129 weeks ago
    Fans will definitely approve! I do love that it isn't on a brown shirt as well so I can get some variety in my Firefly shirts. Great work!
    129 weeks ago
    The reference may be obscure but the imagery is not. Fans would immediately recognize this as firefly. Unfortunately I think they would recognize it because there are a lot of similar shirts out there. It's still More original that most however and you can never have too many firefly shirts so I hope it gets chosen. Nice work as always.
    129 weeks ago
    yeah, it's more of a crowd-pleaser than what I usually submit, but it simply came up pretty much like that when I goofed around with my latest software. I threw it together from 3 sticker designs I made for an upcoming raffle, and first I thought I'd just dump it in my redbubble shop, but then I thought it looks decent enough to at least try and submit it elsewhere too

I won't lose any sleep over that design unless it gets chosen, it was more a shot from the hip than any of my previous designs (there's also no actual illustration or anything involved, done 100% digitally), but I'm pretty pleased how this turned out, given I had no plans on creating this.

it also gave me the opportunity to pinpoint what exactly takes so long with my usual designs ,,, and it's tweaking the linework. I didn't have to do this with this design, so I started & finished the design (that means, starting with the 3 stickers to creating a mockup) yesterday

well, we'll see. preapring stickers for my upcoming Futurama print as well. Next Tuesday Nov 8 ... here on TeeFury (click for close up)
    Photobucket