Back to forum
rss 133 weeks ago
Here is my Metroid WIP. It's pretty close I think, but feedback/suggestions would be awesome. I have two versions here, the only difference is her blast is breaking the frame on one. Preferences?

Thank you for looking !

22Comments
    133 weeks ago
    I definitely prefer the top one. I think you might run into some problems with the halftone in the Super Troidcolor. It may be to hard to convey depending upon the actual size. Overall a really nice design.
    133 weeks ago
    Yeah it seems like the top one is the favored overall. I'll be tweaking the halftone a bit more. Also: I just noticed that it should be AN and not A at S ANY S PRODUCTIONS... so guess I'll get on that haha.
    133 weeks ago
    First one is better, but DANGIT rasabi, I wanted to be the one to point that out to you. It should be AN, not A, S Any S Production

Which, by the way, it brilliant.

Good design, would buy.
    133 weeks ago
    I think samus's pose is a little awkward- especially with the hair. I like the idea more than the execution.
    133 weeks ago
    I like this... I'm getting a futurama vibe from this. Cool drawing style :)

I have some crits if you don't mind-
    The half tone doesn't work on the super troidcolor. Samus's left arm looks paralyzed. Maybe bend the elbow and have her fist clenched for more action intensive purposes. The R in Heroine is awkward. Should extend the R's second leg to be even with it's first leg. Lastly go with the top one. It's the stronger of the two.

Is it me or am I the only one counting 7 colors? Is the light orange on her suit the same as the yellow orange shatter in the background?
    133 weeks ago
    Walrus said: I think samus's pose is a little awkward- especially with the hair. I like the idea more than the execution.

Agreed, it throws off the rest of the design. Her arm is too straight and her hand is just fingers. Loosen up the pose and it will work!
    133 weeks ago
    I didn't notice the overall shape of the metroid til I saw the second version.

Samus' style is too different from the rest of the design. I love the interpretation just use the solid color shapes to define her suit and helmet. Keep it simple like the background.

Like its been mentioned the pose needs work. Most of the time when Samus is shoot her off hand it used to steady her shoot arm.
    133 weeks ago
    I think it is six colors, her armor is just stroked so that's why it looks different.

I don't mind the pose I kinda figured that was part of the "B movie" joke. Like a bad acting kind of thing you would normally get from one of these films. I would love this as a print it's sweet!
    133 weeks ago
    Thanks for all the comments, guys!
    -Yes, it is six colors and her suit has a half tone ;)
    -I'll tweak the troidicolor coloring a bit, I didn't think it was working well either.
    -As for the pose... as beware1984 said, I was trying to go overly dramatic as it seemed to evoke the 50s poster feel better. I'll definitely experiment with it more, though, at the very least try out a bend in the elbow...

I've made some tweaks in the lettering as well, so hopefully I'll have a few more versions posted later tonight! Thanks again, everyone, it's a lot of help getting some eyes on it...
    133 weeks ago
    Done some looking into these posters for a design of mine own and the art on them is usually fairly high quality and done in a semi-realistic style.
    133 weeks ago
    Here is v2. The linework on the new pose is still super rough, but the basic form is there. I also tweaked the lettering as CoDdesigns suggested. I realize troidicolor is still hard to read... part of it might be from reducing to the thumb, but maybe ill try a dark outline around it or something...

Anyway! Do people like the new pose better?

Heroine-of-the-Starsv2-rasabi-rough.jpg
    133 weeks ago
    I think the new pose is much better.
    132 weeks ago
    agreed! I like the new pose.
    132 weeks ago
    That stance is much better. It has this subtle femininity that fits the era perfectly.
    132 weeks ago
    100x better
    132 weeks ago
    Love it. Insta-buy if printed.
    132 weeks ago
    This shirt is so awesome. Print of this would be amazing. I love the style and the coloring on this!
    132 weeks ago
    would much prefer this, by the way, as a poster. I'd probably frame it, actually.
    132 weeks ago
    Thanks again for all the feedback guys!

@SeckzBobOmb - Glad you like it. When I get the time to finish it up I'll post here and let you know where you can grab a print.
    132 weeks ago
    The line work is pretty tight, loving your style.
    132 weeks ago
    Here is the 6 color version after all the changes. I'm still open to any suggestions, but I think it's pretty much finished otherwise. Below is a version I've been toying with that I would offer as a print. I guess I was just hoping to see which version people preferred overall so I know if I should alter one to look more like the other, or just offer them separately.

Heroine-of-the-Starsv2-rasabi-rough1.jpg
    metroid-b-movie-rasabi.jpg
    132 weeks ago
    The very last one with the painterly feeling is the one I would go with! Great job!! :)

I'm glad you took some of my advice it def helped the design!