Back to forum
rss 136 weeks ago

In celebration of Star Trek's 45th anniversary......

STAR TREK MOUNTAIN

13Comments
    136 weeks ago
    JANEWAY! It's tough to say, because I love the idea, but the design feels a bit off still...Picard's likeness needs some serious tweaking, the shadowing on Janeway's mouth makes her look like she's duckfacing. Also the spacing between Janeway and the others seems weird to me.

I'd work with this, you have a great idea going, but I'd make another pass at this or two.
    136 weeks ago
    Awesome concept! I agree, it needs a bit of tweaking, especially on Picard and Janeway. Maybe a bit more shading for depth rather than just flat lines.

I have to say, when I saw the title I thought it was going to be a shirt based off of "Captain Kirk is Climbing a Mountain" :P
    136 weeks ago
    I was thinking it'd be a take on Space (the final frontier) Mountain.
    136 weeks ago
    What, no Captain Archer?
    136 weeks ago
    Mount Rushmore is one of those often parodied icons. Not so much that it doesn't deserve another one. And done well they are always good fun.

You've set yourself a tricky task. What you've got here is a good first draft. If you can get the faces just right using a little more detail, while keeping it in the simple outline and shadow style, you could have a really nice design.

If it were me, I'd start again and work on just one face until I'd nailed it. Break it down, probably start with Sisko (the easiest of your quartet) and get that technique and level of detail right.

My only specific suggestion about the compostion of your design is to use a later version of Picard. In the first season of Next Gen he looks a little too fresh faced and lean.

Don't rush this (no pun intended) and you'll have a really great design. Good luck. :)
    136 weeks ago
    Good feedback - here is a second shot starting with Sisko... how's this?

Sisko.jpg
    136 weeks ago
    Peaj said: Good feedback - here is a second shot starting with Sisko... how's this?

Sisko.jpg

Yes, better. The likeness is good and you chose a noble, thoughtful looking image of Sisko for reference. Well chosen source will help make this design. If you can capture the essence of each captain it will make what is a good idea into a great design.

I note you did far more of the head than you had to, but it's all good practice. Don't be afraid of putting curves on those vector lines. :)
    135 weeks ago
    Here's the update with the new look on all the Captains

STMv4.jpg
    135 weeks ago
    wow, looks much better, I personally think that the hair could use a bit of work, I think that the highlights look like they're above the hair not a part of it
    135 weeks ago
    Agree - here's the update

STMv5.jpg
    135 weeks ago
    Sisko still kind of looks like a Ridley Scott Alien. His head shape seems of with the cut-off. It's a better likeness, and the design as a whole is moving in the right direction. Just needs refinement.
    135 weeks ago
    Yes, this design is definitely starting to shape up nicely.
    135 weeks ago
    ok, i took a shot at an alternative Sisko, and framed it as a closeup....

STMv8.jpg