Back to forum
rss 136 weeks ago
I'm kind of stuck... I drew this silly anime version of Doc Brown. He could fit in most anime realms like Pokemon, or Mega Man... Or just be an anime version of the movie.

I really can't think of any clever mash-ups for this. I may just do a direct reference. Not sure... could use a little help if you guys don't mind throwin some ideas my way.

Here are two sketches. A light outline and a heavy shadow sketch.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Thanks in advance :)
17Comments
    136 weeks ago
    Wow he's cool! Very nice sketches! I like the heavily outlined one, looks like lightning is striking as he laughs like a mad scientist.

I'm not sure why, but he really makes me think Mega Man. Maybe he could have some kind of Delorean/machine from Mega Man (not sure which one to use but there are several mechanical type vehicles and machines, especially used by villains).
    136 weeks ago
    Oh man that is great feedback!!! Lightening striking the clock tower is a good scene to reference. Now to maybe connect it with mega man... which I don't know much about.
    136 weeks ago
    My only criticism would be to work on the hands a bit, and that you'll definitely need more reference to Back to the Future. Otherwise when I see this I see Dr. Wily almost instantly. Otherwise it's a great drawing!
    136 weeks ago
    LOL a Dr. Horrible mash up would be awesome! Otherwise just make it more back to the futurey
    136 weeks ago
    How about the scene just after Marty is sent back to the future and then comes running round the corner behind the doc?
    136 weeks ago
    Ok so I went ahead with the lightning idea... It's kind of a mash up of scenes. Also imagine this would be Back to the Future if it was released as an anime in Japan around 1988-1990. I want to finalize this tonight if possible. I haven't chosen all of the colors yet but I imagined this on a blue shirt.

There are a lot of popular shirts being sold lately like hot cakes at major stores and they all look like this-
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

When the design is ready the colors will be vintage and a light distress will be added.

This is what I got so far.

Photobucket
    136 weeks ago
    If you change the coloring of the doc's skin im think it may be more recongnizable. The other shirts avoid the problem by using actual designs and not altering them by anime-fying them so I think the comparsions between them are kind of weak. I also think that Doc shouldn't have the white outline between his feet and the text
    Still, I love the actual art.
    136 weeks ago
    just a little too much black ink on Doc...for the Japanese writing, maybe ink it to match the Back to the Future font colors (orange or red)....

...maybe to make him more menacing....add the mind reading helmet contraption, draw up menacing eyes or evil looking goggles..
    136 weeks ago
    ...in the first movie at the mall he's sporting a white biohazard suit with yellow sneaks and uses a radio control transmitter to man the Delorian
    136 weeks ago
    Looks like he fits right into the MegaMan universe to me.
    136 weeks ago
    Its interesting! I would buy it!
    136 weeks ago
    The design is stunning!
    - I really dislike the yellow lightning on the white background tho.

So go with a blue (green etc.) shirt like you suggested.

136 weeks ago
    Normally I think kanji added to designs just seems like over emphasis of it being foreign in nature, but this doesn't bother me as much for some reason. Usually I'm really insulted by how obvious the Back to the Future shirts are on here (Sorry guys), this would be a nice change in pace!
    136 weeks ago
    One thing that I think would be cool, instead of just having regular looking flux capacitors, maybe try and make them look as if they were made with calligraphic brushes, with a little bit of smudging here and there. Just an idea I had, the manic insertions of flux capacitors in most Back to the Future designs are one of the things that drive me up the wall. You could set your design apart if you modified them somewhat.
    136 weeks ago
    Firstly I want to say how great the style of your sketch is. For some reason I missed commenting on this when you first posted. I think the chunkiness of the Doc's hands and features works really well.

He looks like he could do with being rotated 5 to 8 degrees counterclockwise. Looking at his feet they look off balance.

I'd start thinking about shirt colors now and see how that interacts with your design. Your idea for vintage colors and distressing should work well.

I look forward to seeing how this design progresses.
    136 weeks ago
    I love that Powder Blue is available for guys now, I think that'd be a good bet. ;)
    136 weeks ago
    I love it! It's looking so awesome! And I'm honored that you took my lightning suggestion and ran with it, it looks amazing and works so well! :) You've done a great job with this one, it's going to look so good with distress and that vintage style. I agree with everybody who has said "not on a white shirt" also. Looking great!