Back to forum
rss 167 weeks ago
Welcome to the updated rules post! It's the same rules you know, but organized more clearly and concisely. These are mostly common sense, but please read them if you have any questions about our policies.

Keep it on-topic (at least for 2 hours)
We're asking that the conversation stay on-topic and about the shirt that is for sale for the first two hours, at a minimum. I think this shows respect to the artist, and allows him or her to get feedback on their work. For example, in the first two hours, posting that the shirt reminds you of a movie is fine. Posting that you just saw a completely unrelated movie is not.

Criticism should be constructive
When you comment, if you criticize it is a MUST that your criticism be constructive and kind. It is encouraged to let the artist know if you love their linework, but think one area is confusing or has a color combination you don't like. It is a deleteable offense to leave unhelpful and generic comments like "This looks like something I could buy at the mall" or "Boo" or "Not buying" - give more feedback than that.

Respect other posters
Everyone at TeeFury, whether they're a forum poster, artist, or curator, is a human being deserving of basic respect. It is absolutely 100% unacceptable to insult or demean members of this community. If you disagree with another member, respond to their opinions and counter them politely, but never attack them as a person or as a group. It is okay to disagree, and no one is right all the time so please give each other the benefit of the doubt.

This is a family-friendly site, keep it PG-13
Our goal is to make this site a place where people of all ages can discuss art and design, and just plain have a good time. So the front page has to remain a safe zone where everyone feels comfortable, and that means no racism, sexism, homophobia, etc and definitely no images that exceed a PG-13 rating (when in doubt, don't post it). This includes avatar images!

Don't promote other sites at TeeFury
Whether you really like another t-shirt site or hate it, TeeFury is not the appropriate place to discuss it. That means you shouldn't link to other t-shirts on the front page (if you have a copyright concern, email service), announce when other sites have sales, or post in the forums that a former TeeFury design is now available at a direct competitor. Advertising and spam are also prohibited for any kind of product or service.

How you comment matters
If you are posting in long comments in ALL CAPS or in ways that break the formatting of the site, your comment may be deleted. We also ask that you avoid large images. This is because those types of comments are very difficult to read and negatively affect other people's enjoyment of the site.

Say it once and only once
Don't post the same comment every day, or multiple comments on the same day ranting about the same thing. A better solution is to make a post in the forums. The front page is for that day's shirt, not your personal gripes.

Word filters
Yes, we have them. It is done automatically, some filtering out curses or other outlawed behavior and some just for fun. There is a specific thread for testing the word filters, so don't do it on the front page. We also ask that no one post what the word filters are on the front page- at best it is repetitive, and at worst it results in outlawed behavior.

Treatment of artists
It is not fair to accuse an artist of plagiarism unless you have compelling evidence. If you can't find proof but are convinced anyway, email us and we'll look into it privately. No matter what the circumstances, though, it is not okay to use TeeFury to attack artists. This includes gripes about past designs, perceived attitude, and personal life. And even if you dislike the current design, it is not appropriate to make demands or threats toward the artist to convince them to make designs you like better.

Questions and complaints about the rules
This thread is the only place on TeeFury for discussion of the rules. This is because keeping it all in one place makes it easier for everyone to understand why these rules exist, and what they mean.

Teevil warning
Teevil warnings mean that you have broken the rules. Some rules (like our spam rule and racist language rule) may result in immediate banning. But for most offenses, you will be warned by Teevil beforehand. Here's what the warning looks like:

That image will replace your post if you are being warned about your behavior.

The rules may be updated by Staff from time to time, so scroll down the page for updated rules and clarification. The old version of the rules thread is posted here for reference.
154Comments
    167 weeks ago
    Ah I see it. Thx MJ.

My bad.
    167 weeks ago
    So was my posting deleted because I have posted other site's link?

Or was my posting just unacceptable to teefury's rule.

because I was wondering if my request to put more artistic designs counts as unfair treatment to artist.
    167 weeks ago
    So mentioning alternative seller link is offense that is on par with Racist comments and spam rules? or is it just delete on sight. because If i remember it correctly the link I posted was censored as I posted the comment.

I think these rules also needs to mention when and why will posting be deleted.

And also will posting get deleted if 3rd person on the thread just comments with alternative seller link?

I think there are some parts of the rules that needs to be frequently modified to prevent unintended rule violation.
    167 weeks ago
    Not all rules are equal- as stated above, some (like blatant racism and spam) may lead to an immediate ban. Most others receive warnings, so as long as the behavior isn't repeated over and over again you should be fine.

We're trying to keep suggestions in the Suggestion Box. Although we usually allow threads like your Art thread, repeated rule-breaking both inside the thread and by participating posters outside that thread caused us to take action. It's unfortunate, but if people aren't playing by the rules we can't spend that kind of time moderating the same group over and over again.

So it's a time-out on threads like that for the time being. Anyone with specific requests should use the Suggestion Box instead.
    166 weeks ago
    Hey, TeeFury guys? This is a very thoughtful, excellent set of guidelines. Basing it on respect and common sense...! Brilliant.
    165 weeks ago
    I agree with mfreeman01 - this is a reasonable and clearly enunciated rule set. Thanks
    165 weeks ago
    Clarifying our No Advertising rule- this also includes companies that post open calls for artists. That is not allowed behavior here.
    165 weeks ago
    I shouldn't even have to say this, but if you are using TeeFury to brag about your abusive behavior towards people on other sites, you will be permanently banned.
    163 weeks ago
    I don't know if people are just skimming right past this or what, but I'll say it again:

Questions and complaints about the rules
    This thread is the only place on TeeFury for discussion of the rules. This is because keeping it all in one place makes it easier for everyone to understand why these rules exist, and what they mean.

This is where those things should be posted. Not in the other forums and not on the front page.
    163 weeks ago
    Stexe said: ohai.jpg

You know the rules. This is not an appropriate place to discuss competing sites. Do it again and you will be banned permanently.

Wow, we can't talk about the competition? Are you freaking serious? Other sites talk about Teefury all the time, and yet we can't talk about them here? Hypocrites much?

Last time I'm shopping here. Consider me "banned permanently" from spending my money here.

Can't believe you censor us when it is CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Competition is HEALTHY and when you anger customers you're just killing your customer base. Take consumer service 101 again.

I mean the shirt I was talking about on the other site already passed and obviously you won't be getting it here ever, or for a LONG time since they just had it a few weeks ago.

First the removal of the "Evil Inside" Intel shirt and warning people from talking about then, then warning people about talking about the lack of an Archive, and finally threatening to PERMANENTLY BAN ME for talking about a shirt on another site when someone asked about it?

GOOD DAY SIR!
    163 weeks ago
    Stexe said: Wow, we can't talk about the competition? Are you freaking serious? Other sites talk about Teefury all the time, and yet we can't talk about them here? Hypocrites much?

This is not the first time I've had this discussion with you. Other sites have their rules, we have ours. You need to follow our rules here if you'd like to post here. I think you'll find that other sites have the same policy when it comes to THEIR rules :)

Stexe said: ...threatening to PERMANENTLY BAN ME for talking about a shirt on another site when someone asked about it?

This is not what actually happened. Someone else requested that we print the shirt, and you posted that it had already been printed at another site. Then when you saw that the word filter prevented the name of the other site from showing up, you wrote it again and went on a tirade about censorship.

Here are the problems with that: 1) You know the rule about using our site to talk about our direct competitors. 2) A design being printed at another site does not necessarily prevent it from printing at TeeFury. 3) None of that is constructive criticism, so I'm not sure what you're even talking about. And so on.

We've been giving you a ton of chances on this, want to at least try? :)
    163 weeks ago
    OK, wtf?

You remove my "naw pass" comment but leave the comments that are like "oh I wish I had money, maybe next time."

THEY ARE BASICALLY THE SAME THING SAYING THEY DONT WANT TO BUY IT. Seesh. What has happened to customer service? I've purchased a ton of shirts from you guys and you treat us like smurf. I mean I missed a shirt by 3 minutes a while ago because of the processing screen and you essentially told me to go screw off.

GOGO TEEFailRY!
    163 weeks ago
    Stexe, please read the rules. This is the one you are running afoul of:

Criticism should be constructive

When you comment, if you criticize it is a MUST that your criticism be constructive and kind. It is encouraged to let the artist know if you love their linework, but think one area is confusing or has a color combination you don't like. It is a deleteable offense to leave unhelpful and generic comments like "This looks like something I could buy at the mall" or "Boo" or "Not buying" - give more feedback than that.

Please don't be dismissive of artists' work with comments like Nope and Pass. Politely give reasons for why you feel that way. It will help the artists and promote much better discussion.
    163 weeks ago
    I request that all 1-5 word comments that are not funny or witty be stopped. Why? Because the first few comments on a front page's design always are 1-5 words.

"Nice!" "Awesome!" "Cool."

It's nice they are complementing on the design, but it would be better if they had a REASON for thinking so rather than the generics. I know, currently the rules are for constructive criticism, but why not add "No complements that are 1-5 words".

Have a little rating system for that.
    163 weeks ago
    How is saying "Nice" or "Awesome" or whatever constructive? Also, what about the comments that are like, "I want but I have no money." How is that constructive? Your rules and enforcement policies make no sense. You attack paying customers and let others post whatever they want.
    163 weeks ago
    Stexe said: How is saying "Nice" or "Awesome" or whatever constructive? Also, what about the comments that are like, "I want but I have no money." How is that constructive? Your rules and enforcement policies make no sense.

Our rule is about constructive criticism, and none of those things that you posted are criticism of any kind. If you want to post about not wanting a shirt (criticism) you have to be constructive about it.

If you want to post something nice (that you want to buy the shirt, that you like it, etc), nothing further is required. Being nice is nice.

These rules contribute to making the front page a more positive environment.
    163 weeks ago
    "Naw pass" isn't criticism. It is me just saying I don't want to buy it.

How about, "Awesome shirt, too bad Teefury has horrible customer service. If they worked on treating customers better then they would sell a lot more!" That is criticism AND is constructive!
    163 weeks ago
    Well, the problem with 1-5 comments is that they don't convince people to buy the shirt. Sure, it's positive, but it doesn't make people say "Huh, I didn't think the shirt that way." or "I think I want to buy it now!"

Get some quality posts bumped up or stop people from posting 1-5 word comments. You guy would be foolish to not see the benefits of using "quality posts".
    163 weeks ago
    zzzaap, we've discussed doing things like that :) The quality post idea is a very good one, but would require us to change the coding of the site so we're unable to enact it any time soon.

It's definitely preferred to leave detailed positive comments. But as long as people are being nice and respectful of each other, we're happy!
    163 weeks ago
    Why don't you just change the rules to say, "Your comments must always be gauged to increasing our sales figures."

I mean that's why you don't let people post competitor websites or actually criticize a shirt, right? You pretty much censor anything that goes against directly making you money.

As any Marketing major can tell you, this is the WRONG approach and just builds a level of dissent against your brand.

Look at Woot, they let you talk about the competition and competitive prices and even negatively review a product. As long as it isn't obscene they pretty much let it fly. I think their business approach has worked WONDERS for them. Maybe you guys should think about switching from a profit oriented view to a CUSTOMER oriented view. It will pay off in the long run.
    163 weeks ago
    Stexe said: Why don't you just change the rules to say, "Your comments must always be gauged to increasing our sales figures."

...because that has never been the rule. If you read over the comments today (and most days), you'll see that many people have given the artist constructive criticism, pointed out perceived flaws in the art, and/or stated why they aren't a fan of it. This has always been allowed behavior, as the rules specifically state.

We have an artist-oriented view. You can't be dismissive of the effort that the artist put into their work (Boo, Nope, Naw pass) and you can't direct their potential customers to competing sites. The vast majority of our customers prefer this, because it makes for a more supportive, positive environment than is often seen at other sites.
    163 weeks ago
    As someone that wants to be a future designer, I want to see people's reason for why they liked the design. A simple "Cool!" doesn't tell me anything. I want to know why a design works. Sure, there are already comments about why the design would work, but those comments are always several scrolls away or go by unnoticed in the sea of 1-5 worded comments. I like the fact that you guys want to keep the environment positive, but those simple one worded comments are just too... useless. They give a positive vibe, but are utterly useless when it comes to decision making and the artist finding out what works and what doesn't.

Please, it just a simple request: do something about those 1-5 word comments! Add a comment rating system with agree/like or disagree/dislike, highlight high rated comments. Something!
    162 weeks ago
    I think Stexe just needs a hug.

I'm here for you mate. Its obvious you don't see eye to eye with the teefury rules, but, going all internet rage won't do you any favours.

They are the rules, no matter how much you argue won't be changed. I know if feels good to get things off your chest but there comes a time where everyone needs to drop their crusade and just be cool with one another.

I like the teefury community for the exact reasons you hate it. I love being able to come here and scroll through the comments without seeing one snarky, rude and negative comment after another. I know you may want to discuss other t-shirts (and sites) but there are plenty of forums and sites set up just for this purpose.
    162 weeks ago
    MJ, I applaud your tranquility, considering what you face here, but that's all I will say about it, as this isn't a general discussion thread. These rules are fair and easily followed, and I like the way they govern the community.
    If I may rebut zzzaap: short comments, especially positive ones, while fairly useless for aspiring artists such as yourself, can mean the world to submitters. If you don't like them, it is probably fortunate that they are so easily recognized and dismissed as you hunt for more relevant material. Their biggest flaw in your eyes is also their greatest strength: they're super quick to read! And scrolling down isn't that much to ask of you, I'm pretty sure.
    162 weeks ago
    Okay Mod, How about this rule: "Don't promote other sites at TeeFury
    Whether you really like another t-shirt site or hate it, TeeFury is not the appropriate place to discuss it. That means you shouldn't link to other t-shirts on the front page (if you have a copyright concern, email service), announce when other sites have sales, or post in the forums that a former TeeFury design is now available at a direct competitor. Advertising and spam are also prohibited for any kind of product or service."

This Shirtoid guy has been shamelessly advertising his smurf site for a while now, yet you guys let him freely do that? What about these oh so sacred rules that my posts keep getting deleted/edited for?

I'd like some light on that.

Thanks
  • Load More Comments