Back to forum
rss 174 weeks ago
There are plenty of cartoon, game, comic, star trek, and star wars t-shirts, as well as other nerd culture influenced shirts. However the one thing I really fail to see on this site is Anime t-shirts (not just on this site, but on most t-shirt sites!) What's up with that? Are customers not interested in them, or is it the artists? I guess its a little of the first and a lot of the second.

Remember folks, if the artists don't know you're interested then they won't invest their time.
20Comments
    174 weeks ago
    I've actually started on an anime shirt myself - the biggest problem I found so far is trying to figure out which anime / manga to do and how I make the design accessible to non anime fans.

When you compare it to something like star wars / doctor who etc. the fanbase is much smaller. On top of this you have the issue that even amongst anime fans, not everybody has seen everything. I consider myself an anime fan and I've only seen 1/2 of the top 200 anime listed on animenfo - so which do I make a shirt for? And if I do make one will the curators of sites like Teefury even know what it is?

I think I've found a way round these but the design is far from being finished yet :)
    174 weeks ago
    Matt_Dearden said: I've actually started on an anime shirt myself - the biggest problem I found so far is trying to figure out which anime / manga to do and how I make the design accessible to non anime fans.

When you compare it to something like star wars / doctor who etc. the fanbase is much smaller. On top of this you have the issue that even amongst anime fans, not everybody has seen everything. I consider myself an anime fan and I've only seen 1/2 of the top 200 anime listed on animenfo - so which do I make a shirt for? And if I do make one will the curators of sites like Teefury even know what it is?

I think I've found a way round these but the design is far from being finished yet :)

I guess you do have a point. I would imagine that everyone in touch with pop culture knows anime staples like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist, etc. While they certainly aren't my favorite series, they are very good, have an enormous fan base, and have a lot of material to work with.
    174 weeks ago
    that anime style in genral dosent work on tshirts and just comes off as very highschoolish in gen.
    if your your looking for inspired shirts i have seen a bunch of sailormoon, dragonball and one piece shirts
    174 weeks ago
    I'd be interested in seeing any Akira or Trigun shirts.

I'd think also a Princess Mononoke shirt would hit a big fanbase.
    174 weeks ago
    biotwist said: that anime style in genral dosent work on tshirts and just comes off as very highschoolish in gen.

if your your looking for inspired shirts i have seen a bunch of sailormoon, dragonball and one piece shirts

I do agreed with that, but I guess that would be ok for me considering I am still in high school (lol). However, anime is watched by all age groups throughout the world, in stark contrast to American cartoons. Anime is a form of entertainment for all people.
    njscorpio said: I'd be interested in seeing any Akira or Trigun shirts.

Agreed, both Akira and Trigun are much more mature then other animes, and Studio Gibili movies (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke) have a fan base spread throughout all age groups.

174 weeks ago
    Yes! Studio Ghibli inspired shirts would be awesome! Howl's Moving Castle is one of my most favorite movies ever!

I'd like to see some attempts at anime or Japanese influenced shirts. Wouldn't even have to be for a specific anime. Just the style of art would be pretty neat.
    174 weeks ago
    Studio Ghibli tee's would be insanely amazing and I would buy in an instant!
    174 weeks ago
    also, in reference to biotwist, tee's based on anime don't necessarily have to employ traditional anime styles of art. for example, here is the artwork from a 'Spirited Away' t-shirt I just purchased on ebay and I think that this kind of design, referencing anime, works well on a t-shirt and would be an instant hit here.

[URL=http://img809.imageshack.us/i/spirated.jpg/][IMG]http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/2314/spirated.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

174 weeks ago
    bah....cant post picture clearly...heres a link

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/2314/spirated.jpg

apologies for the triple posting
    174 weeks ago

I agree, and I'd love to see a Princess Mononoke shirt.
    174 weeks ago
    iwontwait said: Studio Ghibli tee's would be insanely amazing and I would buy in an instant!

Me too! Especially Totoro (:
    174 weeks ago
    I think the easiest anime to use is early anime.
    Astro Boy, Speed Racer. Dragon ball Z. Sailor Moon.

These are anime kids watched before they knew what anime was... lol.

I think there was a Voltron shirt up the other day. That's based on an anime, after all. An older anime.

Now I love new anime. I'm a big Death Note fan, as well as various other random stuff. But I'm not holding my breath for Hetalia Axis Powers on Teefury.
    174 weeks ago
    Just to add, I would absolutely love a Princess Mononoke shirt haha
    173 weeks ago
    I think Cowboy Bebop would go over pretty well. I know a lot of people who don't typically like anime, but who really like that show.
    173 weeks ago
    palmtoptiger said:
    biotwist said: that anime style in genral dosent work on tshirts and just comes off as very highschoolish in gen.

I do agreed with that, but I guess that would be ok for me considering I am still in high school (lol). However, anime is watched by all age groups throughout the world, in stark contrast to American cartoons. Anime is a form of entertainment for all people.

Agreed, both Akira and Trigun are much more mature then other animes, and Studio Gibili movies (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke) have a fan base spread throughout all age groups.

173 weeks ago
    no, anime it watched by tons of people but that all watch diffrent things, you cant compare slice of life to shonen or a space opera

It's not that people love cartoons, it that these cartoons represent something that more people respond to, other wise there would be more anime shirts if people had the passion to make them.

i don't make designs because someone says "make a ninja turtles shirt" I make stuff because I get the idea and it just happens to be about ninja turtles ect" you dig?
    you can just slap pop imagery on a shirt, if you want fanart go to deviant art, if you have an actually idea then tell someone if you cant me it your self
    36 weeks ago
    I need a t-shirt with Rikka from Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai ;_;
    36 weeks ago
    Am I the only one who relly wants some Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica t-shirts? Sure there is someone else ;__;
    36 weeks ago
    I've talked with other artists about this conundrum. When you're at various conventions and expos you see so many anime cosplayers but very little anime themed tees. And it's not like there isn't a large enough market for anime fans it's just a matter of reaching them.
    36 weeks ago
    For some of the artists that typically submit here, I get the feeling widespread anime popularity came a little after their time. I wouldn't expect someone like Captain RibMan ever drawing up an anime design, for example.

There's also an air of elitism about anime that biotwist touched on a little bit; people thumb their nose at it because of the general perception of anime fans, or because they watched one movie or series they didn't like and base their entire view of anime on that.

I spoke with someone once who said they were weirded out by anyone over the age of 25 that watches it, which makes no sense to me. That's like being weirded out by people over the age of 25 that watch any other kind of television or film. To me it's all just that, film and television. Anime is just another way of telling stories. There are thousands of anime series and movies of varying genres, so everyone is bound to like at least a few. Later on he mentioned some WACKY ZANY Inception meme, lol! By that point, I knew to keep future conversations with him to a minimum.

Anime also just isn't all that trendy outside of the Internet. Right now it's all about Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, super hero comics, video games etc. Just wait for one good Hollywood live-action anime adaptation, people will be all over it then.