Back to forum
rss 27 weeks ago
Okay, so I just had another design rejected and I'm trying ti figure out what it is I can be doing better to start having these things accepted.

Here's what was turned down.

I'm unsure as to what I could have done differently. The design is only 4 colors. It was originally 5 but I was able to cut one out to make it easier to print!

Can anyone help me out?
10Comments
    27 weeks ago
    Really folks, this is not a complaint thread. I'm trying desperately to understand what I can be doing better here or what kind of issues I might be having so I can remove said issues.

Anyone who could help, it would be appreciated.
    26 weeks ago
    I think it's quite cool, tbh. I would say that I think the lightsaber would be better as a full blade in the foreground, rather than cutting off at the edge of the rebel logo.

You could maybe go a bit further with the detail, too. Have the jewellery more obviously Star Wars - instead of a plain medallion, have a gold Death Star, for example?

Only other thing I'd say is that the background colour doesn't really help it stand out. Make that either a lot darker or a lot lighter - the similar tones hurt the "pop" of the image, imo.
    26 weeks ago
    I have a few pointers, but I'd like to know what your process is like - do you sketch on paper, scan, and then color? Is it entirely digital? What tools/software do you use? It's easier to give a few tips if I have an idea what you're working with. Also, sometimes shaking up that process a bit can yield very different (and surprising) results!
    26 weeks ago
    Thanks. Usually I to a basic drawing in pencil, ink it as carefully as I can by hand and scan it. Then I do flat colors in photoshop, paint my shadows, halftone them, and then put in my lights and decide if they need any halftones.

Thank you for your curiosity. I also had a friend look at some of my past submissions and suggested that my rusty line work might be one of the things holding me back. I'm planning a new one and I'll be showing it here in the forums at stages before submitting it. Hopefully this will help as well.
    26 weeks ago
    That's about the same process I go through. Do you use a drawing tablet or a mouse? Also, I don't know how many layers you use, but I use a LOT (for an image like that, I'd have about 25). I do all my shadows on separate layers so I can start dark and play with opacity until I get just the right effect (then you can merge down and halftone). Another thing that makes for much easier changes later on down the road is to draw each element separately on paper (Yoda T on one sheet, the text banner on another, the icon thingy on another - yeah, I have no idea what it is). Then you can scan them and play around with the arrangement and sizing of each without having to redraw something.

Your line work does need some improvement, but practice makes perfect, right? Keep practicing. I personally have trouble with shaky hands, so it takes immense effort for me to get smooth lines. Also, try to lend your shading a hand by making lines thicker or thinner where the image will be darker or lighter. It helps add some weight.

When you sit down to draw, try first blocking out your total size, and then lightly pencil in some grid lines every inch or two. Drawing on a grid can help a lot with balance and symmetry issues. At the very least, a horizontal and vertical axis are a must. And try to get the image to fill the top and bottom evenly. This one, for example, is quite bottom-heavy and a bit wispy at the top. It doesn't matter if it's round, square, rectangular, whatever - just try to keep the top and bottom evenly weighted.

Use everything they'll give you. Use every inch of that 12x16 if you can (and always do your paper drawing at least that size, if not larger). Use 6 colors. You'll find a use for them. You can do really cool stuff with shadows of contrasting colors, for example (I love blue halftones on orange!).

I think that's about all for now. Some of it you probably already knew, some of it might sound like BS, and definitely take it all with a grain of salt. You can tell my kids must love me when they bring home their school art projects :)

Stuff I really like here - the concept is all kinds of fun. Those highlights are great, I love good strong highlights. I like the color palette a lot (excepting the red, it tends to make yellow hues look like McDonalds, and that makes me hungry).
    26 weeks ago
    Thank you! I especially like the fact you brought up about it being bottom heavy. 12 x 16 you say. That's good to know as for t-shirts it's not something I would have thought of. I can work with this new knowledge. I'll try keeping things more evenly weighted and see what that does.
    26 weeks ago
    Also, between 10 and 20 layers is what I've typically ended up with on some of these.
    26 weeks ago
    The symbol is the rebel alliance symbol from Star Wars
    26 weeks ago
    aaronradney said: The symbol is the rebel alliance symbol from Star Wars

Funny, I'm a Star Wars nut, but I've never EVER noticed it before! You learn something new every day :)

Keep your eyes peeled, I'm working on a submission and I'd love to get some feedback, I'll post it in a day or two.
    26 weeks ago
    I look forward to it.