Many apologies if this is in the wrong area or if this maybe a question with no answer -- and dear glob if you know the answer a million thanks in advance for your help!

I'm literally blown away by todays submission by MedusaD titled "mistress of evil" (1/6/14)

I've seen submissions on here that were done with just spot colors and no halftone was involved. And I see the submission guidelines for sending a design say a max of 6 colors.

This work seems like it was a painting beforehand then converted for printing on a teeshirt? If I have my artwork ready to convert, is it just using the halftone effect in PS to make this ok to print? B/c that seems like it's 4-color process and not spot process. Maybe it's not and it's just that spectacular that my head can't wrap around the halftone/prepress process.

I may be out in left field and not really understand how printing works on tees, but I dream of one day making a shirt worthy of going on teefury - and I'd like to have the file ready with no problems when I submit it for review.

My design is ready asis if it was being printed on say a poster or a cellphone cover, but I'm not really sure if it is acceptable for printing on a shirt??

For more complicated t-shirt designs, is there a useful method/tutorial/guide on how to prep a design for print thru Teefury using Photoshop or Illustrator? There are tutorials out there for very *simple* designs, but not for ones that were done with subtle shading/gradients/etc.

Is converting thru PS to halftone then having it split out to cmyk the same thing? Can you do screen printing with cmyk?
1Comments
    27 weeks ago
    I looked at the image you're talking about and I had similar concerns i.e. having no idea how they could print that one.

My suspicion is as follows. If you look at the image, the artist seems to have it separated into distinct sections: Greens, Blacks and violet/reds.

I think where he wanted transitions and gradients he converted parts of those sections to bitmap and then colored them and reinserted them into the image.

A thing you can do to see how this works is make a filled in circle with a gradient in photoshop.

Then set it to grayscale in adjustments. Monkey with the levels and values a bit (the only way to figure out what works here is trial and error and it's different for each image). Once it's in grayscale change it to bitmap. That'll make it a bunch of black dots.

From there you'll have to go back to adjustments and go back into grayscale and then rgb color. You can select all the black dots with color range (select shadows) and then on a new layer you can paint the color you want with the paint bucket tool. Move the new circle to the side and you can see what it looks like without the black under layer and you can place it on different colored circles to see the effect.

Just remember you can't print halftones on halftones.

If this was helpful would you mind stopping by one of my designs and helping me figure out whether I'm doing something that's not causing them to get printed?

http://www.teefury.com/forum/9958/The_Fool_I_Pity/