Back to forum
rss 36 weeks ago
Hi all, I'm new to the community and have a few newbie questions that someone can answer concerning submissions/forums.

I've been able to answer most of my questions just by researching these forums. I've learned a lot from the helpful members of Teefury and it's really an invaluable resource for any beginning designer. I have some basic questions that have probably been answered elsewhere but I haven't been able to dig them up.

1. When posting in the forums, how do resize my image to fit in the post? Is there any way to make the html "scale" my picture to fit it into the context of my message? I've posted a picture and it seemed to crop my image off centered, it seemed that maybe I linked an image that was too large. Are there certain dimensions I should be posting in?

2. When submitting to T-fury, does the file size have to be exactly 640x800 and 500kb in size? When I scale my artwork to that size it becomes grainy and loses a lot of it's fidelity. Is that an issue for anyone else or is it expected of submissions to be a lower grainier quality because of the quantity of art they receive?

3. How do I resize and scale my digital art properly? I've noticed that there are not many tutorials on this subject. I use Illustrator, export to a high quality jpg (300ppi), and then use IrfanView to scale and resample the jpg until it is at or around 500kb. Is there a better way I should be doing this?

4. I own the shirt "Kaylees Spacecraft Repair" and the shading is amazing. I know that it must be accomplished via half toning, but how does the artist accomplish such an airbrushed looking half tone? When I look at the shading on the shirt itself, it's dots are small and almost unnoticeable, and I can't help but wonder how this is accomplished.

Guys and gals, thank you so much if you've read all of this. I need all the help I can get and I don't know who else in the world to ask. Any of the above questions that get answered, will help me greatly, so thank you in advance. I look forward to submitting some of my own soon!

2Comments
  • image zipper
    36 weeks ago
    In answer to your questions...

1) You can use HTML image tags to manually change the size of the images you're posting. Here's how to do it: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_img.asp

2) and 3) We suggest using Illustrator's Save for Web feature. You can adjust the sizing in the Image Size panel there. We're aware that some of the detail won't be visible in these smaller submission images, and do take that into consideration.

4) Getting very good at using halftones takes practice :) Try out some tutorials and experiment!
    36 weeks ago
    You have helped me immensely and I cannot thank you enough, Teevil! I was so worried that my questions would go unanswered and it was out of desperation that I asked. Thank you!