Back to forum
rss 258 weeks ago
Im directing this towards jimmyo but i know alot of you start your stuff off on paper. what size paper do you draw on before you scan it? aditionaly what kinda of pencils/ink do yall use?
21Comments
    258 weeks ago
    11x14 sketchpad with perforated edge, but i also have a 11x14 large format scanner it fits perfect in.

pencils. 2h mostly for beginning lines and medium shading. then 2b or higher later on. much later on.

http://www.nextag.com/Mustek-Scanexpress-A3-Usb-561302804/prices-html
    258 weeks ago
    yup, if it ends up on the computer draw to the size of your scanner then you can always scan at 600 and pull it back to 300dpi to double your size of the document.
    I always use a mechanical hb pencil at awesome.
    258 weeks ago
    Hah! I think I'm a noob compared to all of you guys... I tend to draw like 2"x2" sketches just to get shapes all correct and then I scan and enlarge the tarnation out of it (aka it gets way blurry). I guess I just prefer inking on the computer because I just can't use pencils lightly. (And Ctrl-Z is my homeboy.)
    258 weeks ago
    I usually sketch in non-photo blue pencil (so it doesn't scan) and ink with a micron. Letter size paper. I'm no good with tablets- just can't quite manage the disconnect of it- so I try to do as much on paper as possible :)
    258 weeks ago
    I draw on 8.5x11 or 11x14 with graphite pencil. Graphite softness depends on whether I want to keep the pencil marks in the drawing. Hb if I'll erase them, and darker ones if I won't.
    258 weeks ago
    I got some micron pens the other day, they're uber sweet. If you can't find a store that sells them they're worth ordering online.
    258 weeks ago
    thanks for all the responses. I knew most of you had to be using paper larger then the standard size. I used to ink with micron but I want to switch to india ink like the classic comic book inkers used. I also want to be able to make those bold lines you see in Disney cartoons, if people know what I'm talking about.
    Is it bad that I forgot every thing i learned about using pencils and just use a mechanical pencil now?
    257 weeks ago
    Hey MJ was is this blue pencil you speak of?
    I make an original sketch on 9 x 12 sketch paper, then I usually trace it with a Sharpie a few times until I get it all done without messing anything up. Then I vector trace it in Illustrator and go from there.

woooo
    257 weeks ago
    Stormink, here's a link to an example: non-photo blue pencil

I usually just find a bunch on ebay when I run out, so I don't know what brand I'm using or anything. I Arrrgggh, Arrrgggh, Arrrgggh erasing (having all that eraser gunk flying everywhere grosses me out, lol), so I would do a lot to avoid it :)
    257 weeks ago
    I Arrrgggh eraser gunk, too. Have you ever tried using a kneaded rubber eraser?
    257 weeks ago
    I wrote "I always use a mechanical HB pencil at "awesome", meant to say "at awesome." haha brain fart.

Zenne- use them all the time, good stuff.

Omnitarian- microns are very cool. I do all my sketches of my girlfriend with a .1 to .2 micron. Here's one
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    257 weeks ago
    Wow I always thought that everyone just straight out created their designs in Illustrator or Photoshop....I have been pulling out my hair trying to learn Illustrator! This gives me hope that I can just draw and scan the art and maybe just clean it up and possibly submit my 1st design soon! Still working up the confidence! I am so impressed and intimidated by the design on this site!
    257 weeks ago
    I draw on scraps of paper, beer mats and my desk.
    257 weeks ago
    Hah I can totally understand how your art is the way it is now Wotto. (that is not a bad thing if it sounds that way...)

Arrow thats a really nice sketch! We used to have a couple of those seats at my house... dunno what ever did happen to them. Rattan!
    257 weeks ago
    Thanks! Yeah, papasan's are cool.
    257 weeks ago
    I use pencils and whatever is in front of me.
    For a while it was notebook paper, but after a while I noticed I'd draw more than I would take notes. Now I keep printer paper in my binder instead of lined paper.
    257 weeks ago
    i usually draw on Blue Line Pro 11x17 bristol board, use an H or 2H pencil to get basic stuff layed out, then, i blast it with ink and brush.
    i like it because it has the general shape that i need to draw in, and just feels great drawing on the boards.

check this out if you want, just a speed drawing i did a few weeks ago.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq-xctOYkX4

257 weeks ago
    non photo blue pencil, pitt artist brush pen / pigma brush and medium & fine artist pen. scan and cs3 easy as peaches.
    257 weeks ago
    oh as for paper usually what i have laying around which is typically generic printer papaer, sometimes a thicker cardstock will do.
    257 weeks ago
    Thanks for the blue pencil info. I'll probably be able to finish more designs now with all the time I'll save sweeping up eraser bits.