Back to forum
rss 39 weeks ago
Hello there :) have an idea for a shirt and want to design it but i'm not sure what program to use/how to do it, any help would be awesome :) xx
Thanks
6Comments
    39 weeks ago
    Designing our own T shirts is something fun process and pretty simple. One of the most important thing that we should know is the different printing method we are using for the T-shirts.
    39 weeks ago
    Hi Howlabaloo,

When it comes to programs to use, the two most commonly used free ones are Inkscape and GIMP. There are tutorials around the internet for both programs, and it is possible to produce something of printable quality with them both. Personally I would recommed Inkscape as it is a vector program which means that the lines tend to be sharper and the files smaller.

They both require a good deal of practice - so hang in there and don't forget you only have a 6 colour limit!
    39 weeks ago
    I've just started getting into inks cape and have more experience with gimp, so I tend to work in Gimp and then inkscape. I generally do my designs in Gimp first, utilizing the layers, path tools, and various brushes on a bit of a larger file size. Then export the image to a PNG and open that in inkscape, once imported as embed, under path drop down, trace bitmap, move vector path to the side, then discard the bitmap version and keep the vector paths. Edit and tweak accordingly using the node tool, then save as an SVG. (Scalable vector graphic) That's the process I use anyways. Look into halftones while your perusing tutorials as well. I use an additional layer with a black solid lines, then a white airbrush where I want my halftones, newsprint in filters drop down, make adjustments,then after finishing that, color to alpha under color drop down, white selected by default, then merge layer down to the color I wanted to fade, color to alpha again but select black. Something like that, I'm not at my computer at the moment.
    39 weeks ago
    How long is the usual wait after you submit till you know if your design was selected?? I submitted a couple designs, and some were turned down within an hour, but one hasn't been replied on and I'm worried about getting my hopes up:/
  • image zipper
    39 weeks ago
    Avatard956 said: How long is the usual wait after you submit till you know if your design was selected?? I submitted a couple designs, and some were turned down within an hour, but one hasn't been replied on and I'm worried about getting my hopes up:/

Currently, all submitted designs will receive either an acceptance or an email stating that the design won't be printed. If you haven't received a response within 4 weeks, you may want to resubmit to be sure it was received :)
    22 weeks ago
    Thanks for all the help people ^_^