Back to forum
rss 40 weeks ago
Hi There! I'm new to TeeFury(not to buying, but submitting). This piece is a parody of Breaking Bad and my favorite Ape. I was hoping to get this out before the Breaking Bad premiere. While designining this I realized I missed out on a Donkey Kong theme from an earlier TWOFURY. Bummer. Not bummer enough to keep me from posting and reading your critiques. Be constructively BRUTAL!

Breaking Barrels Design on Dark BrownBreaking Barrels Design on Black
7Comments
    40 weeks ago
    I love it! Old school Donkey Kong mixed with my favorite show.
    40 weeks ago
    CenturionElite said: I love it! Old school Donkey Kong mixed with my favorite show.
    Hopefully the reaction I get from many more. Thanks!
    39 weeks ago
    The cartoon DK and the halftone shading on the jumpsuit are jarring. Go with either solid blocks of color or go with halftoning the gorilla throughout, not a combination.

Also add some variety to the banana piles so the image doesn't look like the you just copy and pasted the same image the same size over and over.

Lastly keep the text consistent. You have too different fonts within the same word. The letter R is the most noticeable.

It's a good start to the design, just needs some polish.
    39 weeks ago
    I tend to agree with cruddy on this one... the cartoon style would probably work best. Would LOVE to see this with more line width variation to give it a more dynamic feel. Currently it appears flat with a uniform stroke length.

Perhaps you can take Kong's head, put the Heisenberg hat on him... blow up his face to be the monumental element of the shirt with the typography underneath it... Then you can stylize it to look like the orangeish cover of the dvds... that would tie it to the MashedPotato theme a bit more.

Just an idea.
    39 weeks ago
    Caddywompus said: The cartoon DK and the halftone shading on the jumpsuit are jarring. Go with either solid blocks of color or go with halftoning the gorilla throughout, not a combination.

Also add some variety to the banana piles so the image doesn't look like the you just copy and pasted the same image the same size over and over.

Lastly keep the text consistent. You have too different fonts within the same word. The letter R is the most noticeable.

It's a good start to the design, just needs some polish.
    thanks. I thought about some variety in the bananas(like some open and just peels). Intentionally kept the faces and hands free of halftones, but I will try it out. Not sure what you mean by the text. The text is the way it is because if the fonts used in the poster that in making a parody of. I realize it might not connect with some, but that part will have to remain untouched. Everyone keep comments like this coming! Great stuff!
    39 weeks ago
    If anyone would like to check out the all hail the king breaking bad poster. That is what I'm doing a parody of. Love the critiques on the style. Looking for less on composition due to the poster layout and more on the art technique( colors, use of halftones, line weight or lack if, etc).
    39 weeks ago
    Sorry, you were right about the font difference. The kerning on the R's look off or maybe it's how narrow the look compared to the letters beside it. Maybe it's just not having R's with that specific font in the original is why it feels out of place.