Back to forum
image zipper
rss 41 weeks ago

Chris Kawagiwa is joining the TeeFury team as the new Art Curator! His past projects have included work with Walt Disney Imagineering and storyboards for musicians including Tenacious D, Jennifer Lopez, Usher and The Fray. Eagle-eyed TeeFurians might recognize his work from the popular TeeFury print Graff Droid, and he's also a frequent participant in the LA and Orange County comic book and convention scene.

Since one of Chris's tasks as Art Curator is to interview TeeFury artists, we thought it'd be fun to ask him a few questions!

Do you have a favorite TeeFury shirt? Tell us about it and why you love it.

It's hard to choose out of the vastly growing gallery, but one that pops out recently would be "Send a Raven" by Jonito. Not only is it a cool armored bird rendering, but on closer inspection it reveals the epic clashes in the Game of Thones world, much like the opening titles. I like seeing the extra easter eggs for fans to find living naturally within a design.

What is your favorite thing to draw? Least favorite thing?

My favorite things often fall in the genre of sci-fi and garden variety geekery, particularly robots and circus themes. As a comic and sequential art enthusiast, being able to draw anything in service to story is key, so I try not to have least favorites. Although… crowds.

Imagine that you've created the ultimate robot. What is it's greatest feature?

My perfect robot would be living tissue built over a metal endoskeleton with cybernetic neural network…

How could that end badly?

It's greatest feature would be its ability to create cat memes (thus taking over the world).

What is the coolest thing you've ever seen or experienced at a comic book convention?

One of the few Comic-Con panels I was able to squeeze into one year was for Scott Snyder's "American Vampire". It was relatively new at the time and he was actually there at the door thanking people for coming by. Being able to tip our hats to him personally was great-- a real nice guy and a fine surprise!

If you could have any superpower, which power would you choose? Would you use it for good or for evil?

The ability to instill compassion in people and foster world peace. It would be for evil.

What is your favorite thing about working for TeeFury so far?

Getting to see the inner workings of epic shirt design launching and how it fits in the wonderful world of pop-culture. Being surprised by innovative or unexpected design choices is always a delight.

Please join us in welcoming Chris to the TeeFury team!
21Comments
    41 weeks ago
    well hello there Mr Kawagiwa .. congrats
    41 weeks ago
    Welcome and Congrats!!!!
    41 weeks ago
    HUZZAH!
    41 weeks ago
    Congratulations!
    41 weeks ago
    Congrats Chris and welcome!
    41 weeks ago
    welcome!
    41 weeks ago
    welcome to ... this :D
    41 weeks ago
    Welcome! Congratulations on the awesome position!
    41 weeks ago
    Congrats and welcome!!
    41 weeks ago
    Congrats! (Very cool thing with Scott Snyder too!)
    41 weeks ago
    Welcome Chris!
    41 weeks ago
    Congratulations!
    41 weeks ago
    Welcome, congratulations and don't give up your day job - the future Mrs Chuffy has your Graff Droid shirt. She was wearing it yesterday in fact. :)
    41 weeks ago
    Good to see you here Chris! Congrats!
    41 weeks ago
    Hey, congrats! I heard you on the Big Illustration Party Time podcast a while back.
  • image zipper
    41 weeks ago
    Thanks for the welcomes everybody-- looking forward to all sorts of good things to come!
    41 weeks ago
    Congrats Chris and Welcome! Hiyaaa!
    41 weeks ago
    Congrats to you Christopher. Thanks for illustrating my book
    Ginger La Rue and Coco Too. I knew you were going to have a great future. Roger Hoffman
    41 weeks ago
    Congrats to you Chris. Thanks for illustration my first book..
    Coco LaRue and Coco Too. I knew you would go places!
    Roger Hoffman
    40 weeks ago
    Congrats bud!
    32 weeks ago
    Welcome! Is there any way you can bring back the Hannibal shirt from this weekend? I only have access to a computer during the week and missed it!

Please!!