Back to forum
rss 58 weeks ago
Basically the colour of the shirt in real life is different than the colour I see on the website. I don't think this is my monitor cause it happens on my phone too

This is the colour charcoal as shown on site http://i.imgur.com/ZqG5Hby.png

Here are 2 pictures of the shirt I received that I ordered in the colour charcoal http://i.imgur.com/Baive5W.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Mg6SzEU.jpg

I've tried adjusting the brightness, etc, on my monitor and phone, but no matter what I do the colour in real life is still different than what is shown on the website.

This has made me hesitant to buy some shirts cause I'm not sure if the colour will be as represented on the website. Thanks
8Comments
  • image zipper
    58 weeks ago
    Hi AlecYon - If you're ever unhappy with a shirt that you receive, please email [email protected] :)
    58 weeks ago
    Teevil said: Hi AlecYon - If you're ever unhappy with a shirt that you receive, please email [email protected] :)
    It's not that i'm unhappy with it. With this design it has worked out fine and looks okay, but I'm just wondering if it's my monitor that does this. Or if the colour is off for everybody.
    58 weeks ago
    Print is different from display.

>From Eggles: You have to understand that it is almost impossible to replicate the colours you see on screen with those in print. They are two entirely different media - the screen displays colours according to transmitted light in the RGB (red, gree blue) gamut, the paper displays colours according to the absorption & reflection of light of CMYK colours (cyan, magenta, yellow and black).

This applies to screen printing too. On this page, drag the cursor around the colors on the bar and in the main square. Pick a color, and a distance number, and you'll see how there can be 'close but no cigar' colors. And the display medium is different because a computer monitor is showing the color in a halo of white light. The shirt shows its color by having light bounce off the fabric, and both sunlight and lightbulbs have different spectra. You're literally seeing different colors each time.

Example time: look at this image.

Shadow-Optical-Illusion.jpg

Now cover the central division between both squares with a finger. Yes, the same color. But your eyes and brain read the other details and told you something different.
    57 weeks ago
    Jackpot777 said: Print is different from display.

>From Eggles: You have to understand that it is almost impossible to replicate the colours you see on screen with those in print. They are two entirely different media - the screen displays colours according to transmitted light in the RGB (red, gree blue) gamut, the paper displays colours according to the absorption & reflection of light of CMYK colours (cyan, magenta, yellow and black).

This applies to screen printing too. On this page, drag the cursor around the colors on the bar and in the main square. Pick a color, and a distance number, and you'll see how there can be 'close but no cigar' colors. And the display medium is different because a computer monitor is showing the color in a halo of white light. The shirt shows its color by having light bounce off the fabric, and both sunlight and lightbulbs have different spectra. You're literally seeing different colors each time.

Example time: look at this imageNow cover the central division between both squares with a finger. Yes, the same color. But your eyes and brain read the other details and told you something different.

I understand that it won't be perfect, but the colour is extremely different than what it actually is. My crappy phone camera was pretty much the same as the colour it really was. If they could just take a picture of the shirt and use that it'd be better I think. Here's a picture of a shirt from another site labelled as charcoal grey colour http://i.imgur.com/jbmAgSC.png And that is 200% closer to what it actually looks like than the colour charcoal grey is shown as on teefury. So there must be a better way of making the colour of the shirt on the site shown look like how it actually is.
    57 weeks ago
    Just for the thread...

Charcoal on other site.

jbmAgSC.png

Charcoal on this site.

ZqG5Hby.png

Shirt you received.

Mg6SzEU.jpg

I did a quick 'thing" in Photoshop. Desaturated the colors on the images (so I wouldn't get a blue, just a grey) and sampled the color. Looking for the darkness of the images.

Your photo, sampled just to the bottom right of the icon because it doesn't have camera flare making it look lighter. I Gaussian blurred the grey by 15px so there'd be an even spread - #3E3E3E. 24% white / 76% black.

Falling Skies (darker) sample from other site - #2D2D2D. 18% white / 82% black.

TeeFury sample - #5E5E5E. 37% white / 63% black.

I can confirm the Falling Skies picture shows darker than your shirt, the TeeFury picture shows lighter, and the percentages are there if anyone wants to repeat the experiment.

57 weeks ago
    I should've added: it all depends in what lighting condition both sites wished to portray their colors. And (of course) it's as scientific as reading head bumps because I don't know how both sites sampled their colors for their image mock-ups.
    57 weeks ago
    Thanks, Jackpot777
    57 weeks ago
    Nae problem.