Back to forum
rss 58 weeks ago
Image below links to my deviantart page with a larger version so you can see the halftoning detail (as I'm not very experienced with that).

Feedback?

6Comments
    58 weeks ago
    Updated. Stating the obvious here, but the sky would be the shirt color.

neverendingnyan_2_by_artfoundry-d68pp5l.png
    58 weeks ago
    I think Falkor needs more detail. Whether that's adding a Pop-tart (or several?) to his body or just trying to capture a better representation, I'm not sure.

Right now, for me at least, it is evoking the awkward graphics of Atari 2600 console games. On the other hand Nyan cat has quite a lot of detail despite the pseudo 8-bitness of its style; I would try to imitate this.

Maybe try drawing Falkor in more detail at a higher res first, then resize him down in your paint package.

Hope this helps :)
    58 weeks ago
    Just for reference: the detail in Nyan Cat.

nyan.jpg

I did a design called Nyan Spam almost two years ago to the day. Four colors, two to do the rainbow.

NYAN_CAT_darker.jpg

higher_res_nyan_spam.png

Didn't sell a single one. This was my pouty face.*

pouty+face.jpg

*not my face.

I like the idea, but it didn't sell in late spring of 2011 and the original video was uploaded to YouTube on April of 2011. Considering the 8-bit look of the original, I think it's coherent but I don't think it's popular enough to be picked. But, saying that, I suggest: host it on a t-shirt site, see how many Likes or views you get for it. See if it sells.

There's no harm in submitting it because it shows drive. Submit it, you've got to try to be chosen, and design more things.
    58 weeks ago
    I would say: the Falkor needs thicker lines. The Nyan Cat is made of set sized pixels, and those pixels are as blocky as a color ribbon on the rainbow is thick. That's the only nit I can pick, really.
    58 weeks ago
    All good comments guys. I was thinking of adding more detail to Falkor as well. The main issue I was having was related to what Jackpot said about the line thickness/"pixel" size. If I make them all the same size, it becomes difficult to add good detail. As it is, I used some half-pixel width lines (and in fact, the outline is even thinner, but that's easy to fix) in the eyes and ears. Really the only details the cat has over Falkor are the cheek color and the poptart colors.

I do have one more color I could add, so I could use a light blue or gray to add some shading and a look of fur to Falkor. Or I could just stick with the black or blue and halftone those details. Shading would be easy to keep at the 1 pixel size, though fur might require the half pixel size.

Jackpot, you really think it needs the thicker lines? Also, how did you do the fadeout on the rainbow? Was that just decreasing the density of the dots?
    58 weeks ago
    artfoundry said: All good comments guys. I was thinking of adding more detail to Falkor as well. The main issue I was having was related to what Jackpot said about the line thickness/"pixel" size. If I make them all the same size, it becomes difficult to add good detail. As it is, I used some half-pixel width lines (and in fact, the outline is even thinner, but that's easy to fix) in the eyes and ears. Really the only details the cat has over Falkor are the cheek color and the poptart colors.

I do have one more color I could add, so I could use a light blue or gray to add some shading and a look of fur to Falkor. Or I could just stick with the black or blue and halftone those details. Shading would be easy to keep at the 1 pixel size, though fur might require the half pixel size.

Jackpot, you really think it needs the thicker lines? Also, how did you do the fadeout on the rainbow? Was that just decreasing the density of the dots?

The original cat has lines like that, but if it doesn't look like Falkor I would leave it 'as is' ...here's how I did the fade (it is a decrease in the density of the dots). I'm using Photoshop CS at work, but part of this works better for me in GIMP.

Create the wave shape. I'm just doing an up-down here.

pO40MHE.png

Select it, and add a gradient to it.

DaWrgOp.png

Go into the filter options. Pixellate, create Halftone. This is a small picture, not a 4800 by 3600 300dpi image, so I'm getting a crappy small result but it's OK.

vPX60UQ.png

This is the part that GIMP does better for me because I'm used to doing it. I would import the Halftone into GIMP, then create an image with limited palette. Image --> Mode --> Indexed, then reduce the number of colors to 3 and it will convert it to black, white, and transparent. I could save that image, and color switch the black dots to the color I wanted.

image-mode-indexed.png

Let's imagine I did that. It would look cleaner than this, but this will do.

RC11VVv.png

And it would look liek this on the shirt.

Mtn1GuN.png

The orange was a two-stage thing. I colored the whole thing as a #7F7F7F and halftoned it until it dawned on me I could just checkerboard it...

ebf1DTY.png

...and then added the fade Halftone over the top, reversed the colors so it was white dots, and set the layer to lighten.