Put this down to a visit yesterday to a rainy Cooperstown, NY and the National Baseball Hall Of Fame.

First off: for anyone that hasn't seen it, here's the 'Who's On First?' comedy routine by Abbot and Costello. There's a baseball team with the players Who (first base), What (second base), Idontknow (third), and so on. Time magazine named the routine Best Comedy Sketch Of The 20th Century in 1999.

Now: I checked various versions on Google Image Search of Doctor Who baseball, who's on first, Doctor Who's on first, etc.; and people have obviously beat me to it with their versions of it. The comedy routine is older than the show, and the show's fifty years old, and people think his last name is Who... this one only goes up to #10.

This one has Ten...

...but this is the only t-shirt I could find with it on, and I'm doing an actual scene of it.

So, that's the idea. Who's On First. Image will be of the first base line and bag, with the TARDIS parallel to the base line, and The Doctor with his foot safe on first.

The crowd will be muted and without much detail, like this image (this is Foam Monster In Emotional Reunion With Severed Limb by Aled Lewis, great t-shirt)...

4Comments
    58 weeks ago
    Note to self: Doctor comes up to the window panes.

tumblr_ma0a6lxYwN1rg0y2ro1_1280.jpg

This is only for me to get the general layout in my head. TARDIS, door open, Doctor, foot on first base, crowd. Roughly in these sizes in relation to each other, this angle, and so on.

sJPTePQ.png
    58 weeks ago
    I tried to bounce a bunch of ideas around in my head and drew a blank. Then I came up with a possible idea - incidental characters. There's a rich seam of characters that could be used on a design like this in the role of other players, umpires, coaching staff, the crowd and even a hotdog vendor.

The design you discovered on RedBubble isn't a particularly popular one. I suspect not because the joke doesn't work, but that the crossover between fans of the Doctor and fans of early 20th century Vaudeville comedy are probably rather limited. Perhaps a well referenced design might overcome that, even for young Whovians unfamiliar with Abbott and Costello. Though I feel that getting a really successful design out of this idea may prove especially challenging.

Some brainstorming in no particular order. A TARDIS shaped dugout. The rest of the team on the side lines are the different incarnations of the Doctor. A section of the crowd could be fans of the Doctor Team; companions, allies and the like. The opposing team and their fans in the crowd made up of villains. Daleks in the crowd holding a banner that says Exterminate. Adipose selling Hot dogs. Ursula in paving stone form from the episode 'Love and Monsters' as the First Base.

There are probably dozens of reference gags you could pull into a design like this. Of course it greatly increases the complexity. If the crowd were reduced to minimal detail as you mentioned earlier or to recognisable silhouettes that might simplify it. Hope this helps, sorry if I've made you more work. :S
    58 weeks ago
    Chuffy said: Some brainstorming in no particular order. A TARDIS shaped dugout. The rest of the team on the side lines are the different incarnations of the Doctor. A section of the crowd could be fans of the Doctor Team; companions, allies and the like. The opposing team and their fans in the crowd made up of villains. Daleks in the crowd holding a banner that says Exterminate. Adipose selling Hot dogs. Ursula in paving stone form from the episode 'Love and Monsters' as the First Base. There are probably dozens of reference gags you could pull into a design like this. Of course it greatly increases the complexity. If the crowd were reduced to minimal detail as you mentioned earlier or to recognisable silhouettes that might simplify it. Hope this helps, sorry if I've made you more work. :S

THIS is why I post my stuff! The characters, hidden in the crowd. Seeing as the crowd is composed of dozens of characters in rows, watching the game, with staple figures sprinkled in there. I could even put myself in there, waving a flag. Below a Cyberman. Or something...

TgPrQUw.jpg

This design is going to take me a while. But that's good ...because the Doctor on first base isn't going to be Matt Smith. And I'll have until Christmas to finish it.
    50 weeks ago
    I would readily buy the "Short-Lived Vaudeville Career" shirt!