Back to forum
rss 58 weeks ago
spice-coke

Mashing up Spice and Coca-Cola. Not sure about colour scheme andhave to rework hand and a few other things.
30Comments
    58 weeks ago
    Already been done. http://www.redbubble.com/people/anthonypipitone/works/7747347-spice

Have a look at the Tips thread
    http://www.teefury.com/forum/5896/Tips_for_aspiring_Artists/

Tip # 36. Got a cool unique Idea? It might not be. Check the internet thoroughly a dozen times (and have someone else check for you too), before you commit hours or even days of work to a design idea someone has already done.

This is an artist's worst nightmare. It really does pay to check.

I suppose one positive to take away from this is that it was a good idea. Sadly someone beat you to it.

58 weeks ago
    So what. Should no one try to execute on ideas that maybe similar? Thanks for the tip, but I take your advice with a grain of salt.
    58 weeks ago
    So what. Should no one try to execute on ideas that maybe similar? Thanks for the tip, but I take your advice with a grain of salt.
    58 weeks ago
    wookiehumper said: So what. Should no one try to execute on ideas that maybe similar? Thanks for the tip, but I take your advice with a grain of salt.

And that is why you should submit this right now. As is. Nothing beats confidence, and that's because everyone thinks with their gut.

I know what you're thinking: no, everyone thinks with their brain. But that's not thinking with your gut!

Although... the long robes seem to denote a Bene Gesserit. But the glowing eyes are a Fremen trait. The two are really only seen with Alia Atreides, sister of Paul Muad'Dib...

Dune%20Witt%20edit.JPG

...who later becomes one bastard of a dictator in Children Of Dune. I mean evil. On the level of Baron Harkonnen evil. Until she struggles with the spirits possessing her and commits suicide.

I don't think Saint Alia Of The Knife and the word "enjoy" go together at all.

You're selling to geeks. Dune geeks know this stuff. I know this stuff, and I've read the books twice, maybe.
    58 weeks ago
    wookiehumper said: So what. Should no one try to execute on ideas that maybe similar? Thanks for the tip, but I take your advice with a grain of salt.

This isn't about my approval, it's about respect for the work of another artist.

We artists try to look out for one another. In some instances that's offering help and feedback. Sometimes it's telling people when an idea doesn't work. Sometimes it's letting them know when someone is basically doing a copy of a design that's already been done.

I've given you the benefit of the doubt, I've tried to be helpful and I've tried to offer encouraging statements to boost your confidence. If you want to forge ahead with a design that someone has already done, you will just annoy people.

Whether your Spice design came about by accident or deliberately, it doesn't matter now. Since I've told you it's already been done, you now know it has.

Designs have been cancelled at the merest whiff of plagiarism, even from successful and respected artists when the similarities were just a coincidence.

Chalk it up to experience, move on and try a different design.

And Jackpot777 is absolutely correct. Geeks will tear you a new one if you do an inaccurate design based on their fandom. Since that's who you're selling to (we're all geeks here), it's best to know your subject well or research the heck out of it. BTW that's Tip # 37 in the tip thread.

58 weeks ago
    I don't think you need to worry about plagiarism accusations on this one. The approach is different enough, beyond the layout - which everyone involved copied from a certain international beverage company.

Fandom wise - no worries there either. Every true Dune fan knows that the spice agony results in blue-within-blue eyes. They hide this fact, but this reverend mother is obviously on tea break.
    Regarding blue-eyed reverend mothers in the film - there is Alia, but there is also Jessica at the end of Dune and Ramallo who dies.

The only problem with the design is the typography - I'm not sure the design itself works as a self contained shirt at all. I'd almost be tempted to suggest you get rid of the red banner entirely, and then make the can itself (and the logo on it) more prominent.

Put it in her left hand instead - So she's holding it up and showing you the can - we know what a coke can looks like, that's the core of the picture. And yet right now it's kind of an afterthought.
    58 weeks ago
    Oh, and fremen eyes don't glow!

:)
    58 weeks ago
    apeman said: Oh, and fremen eyes don't glow!

:)

(cough)

Due to living on Arrakis, the typical Fremen appeared as a sinewy human with leathery tanned skin. These effects were less pronounced on those Fremen who live in cities such as Arrakeen. In addition, Fremen eyes were colored entirely blue, due to their excessive ingestion of the Spice Melange.

spice-eyes-1.jpg

(Herbert, Frank (1965). "Terminology of the Imperium: IBAD, EYES OF". Dune. "IBAD, EYES OF: characteristic effect of a diet high in melange wherein the whites and pupils of the eyes turn a deep blue (indicative of deep melange addiction)." The terminology list is posted online here. And is in the back of the book.)

When you research a piece, you start by researching the things that exist. I really can't put it any simpler than that. You certainly don't insist that things are a way they're not, or it just looks bad. You certainly don't insist on something when the original version has a special part that says otherwise, with absolutely no room for misunderstanding.

Because you do that? Wow.
    58 weeks ago
    ...that sounds like I'm confusing apeman with wookiehumper, doesn't it? For a moment there, I did. Sorry if I put you down as the kind of person that insists on defining their own reality, wookiehumper ...it was apeman that did that.

With such a nice smiley too.

That was nice.
    58 weeks ago
    baron H

thinking of redoing the whole Dune idea. Did a really quick sketch at work
    58 weeks ago
    Now THAT is a good idea. Orange is a strong character color, so is black. And there were houses in Dune (Atreides, Harkonnen, Ix, Corrino, etc.) so there's a similarity with the four houses in Hogwarts. House Harkonnen would be like Slytherin.

Sorry. Harry Potter tangent. Orange and black. Vladimir cheering for his house. This, this, this.

58 weeks ago
    Now you're cooking! The House of Harkonnen is a great starting point for an idea. :)

I'm somewhat familiar with the film and the games though not the books. I don't know if this is true to the books, but I feel Harkonnen already have a strong color scheme - Red, Black and Orange. A color identity that could be used to your advantage.

There are any number of things you could do with a Harkonnen design. It's an original idea and I look forward to seeing it develop.
    58 weeks ago
    Jackpot777 said:
    When you research a piece, you start by researching the things that exist. I really can't put it any simpler than that. You certainly don't insist that things are a way they're not, or it just looks bad. You certainly don't insist on something when the original version has a special part that says otherwise, with absolutely no room for misunderstanding.

Because you do that? Wow.

Kull wahad! Mind if just copy paste that back at you?

It's quite bad when you lecture an entirely INNOCENT artist on getting it right for the geeks while making two great big schoolboy errors in the process. Then going on the warpath when someone tries to correct you.

If you're going to set yourself up as a the TF Dune pedant, you'd better get your facts right, or prepare for some counter-pedancy, because "Dune geeks know this stuff."

Fremen eyes do not glow. No room for misunderstanding, you got it wrong - read more carefully or do some better "research". The eyes of Ibad are described as "a total blue so dark as to be almost black." - no glowing!

TBH, it's a minor thing (ie: that's why the smiley) even the great John Schoenherr drew them with a glow. It's still "wrong" though - If we're being pedantic and we've read the books.

And while I'm in undisputed TF Dune pedant mode...

Ix is a Confederacy not a house and the Harkonnen colour is BLUE.

Unless you're going to insist I'm living in a parallel reality again.

Smiley face.

(wookiehumper: the new design looks promising!)
    58 weeks ago
    Correction taken on the Ix (I came up with the first four names that came to mind). But the house color isn't blue, the symbol for the house is a blue griffin. The artwork for the books and films, however, take their visual cues from the volcano of a world that is Giedi Prime...

9781400163625_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

As you say, Schoenherr has the Fremen with glowing eyes...

344B-fremen-e1324317745304.jpg

...if we're being pedantic and we've read the books. That looks like a book.
    58 weeks ago
    Schoenherr is THE Dune artist. He took the words and distilled them into awesome pictures. The fact is that visual language and written language are completely different artforms. Designing accurately from Frank Herbert is really hard because he's actually quite an non-visual writer (his genius is that you don't realise it at the time), but John Schoenherr "got it" and did it just better than almost anyone else IMHO. And glowing eyes look cool as hell, even if they ain't canon accurate.

There is only one "Red Duke" and that he definitely lives on Caladan and has a red hawk motif stitched into his jacket.

Also, volcano world? Really? Where? Source? [citation needed] #defender of reality

I seriously suggest you do some reading before we continue polluting poor wookie's thread.
    58 weeks ago
    The visual and written language are completely different artforms. Now, which would look good on a t-shirt: striking colors, or having a blue that's almost black?

13281955820571188190650.jpeg

(Pantone 433 C)

It's nice to see you took the bait on the volcanic world line. That's because you have me down "as a the TF Dune pedant" (a TF Dune pedant, or the TF Dune pedant, or both?), even though I definitely said "I've read the books twice, maybe."

So did Schoenherr take the words and distill them into pictures, or did he do art that ain't canon accurate? Which one?
    58 weeks ago
    I thought the purpose of this thread was to provide critique and encouragement to the artist who started it?

You post detailed unwarranted misleading information and proclaim "I know Dune", then you take a friendly correction as a personal attack. Now you're playing games with misinformation?

Who wins here?
    58 weeks ago
    Creating discord isn't helpful. It "wins" nothing.

There are various interpretations of House Harkonnen depending on the source. The books, the TV mini-series, the film and the computer games. These may differ and even contradict each other. I suspect whilst the book might be considered the most canon source, visual cues from the film are most likely what more people will be familiar with.

Ultimately it's for the artist to decide.
    57 weeks ago
    apeman said: You post detailed unwarranted misleading information and proclaim "I know Dune", then you take a friendly correction as a personal attack.

Who wins here?

I said I'd maybe read the books twice. You're the one building a straw man of me, saying I proclaimed "I know Dune" and running with it. Then you both say the eyes DON'T glow, but then THE artist for Dune (who distills the words into awesome pictures) has the eyes glowing. Which is the crux of it: your "friendly correction" of "Oh, and fremen eyes don't glow! :)" is countered by pictures by the very artist you mentioned, and you described as "THE Dune artist". This is a visual medium. The person you self-identified as synonymous with being the go-to person says, in image, Fremen's eyes glow.

As Chuffy says: there aren't winners in this. Just get off the impression you have that I said "I know Dune" when the level I know it was put forward front and center, and "I thought the purpose of this thread was to provide critique and encouragement to the artist who started it?" sounds a little hollow when you're using passive-aggressive epithets like "great big schoolboy errors" and "going on the warpath".

Because I thought the purpose of this thread was to provide critique and encouragement to the artist who started it? Because, with the artwork of the eyes in the book, you post detailed unwarranted misleading information ...and these are all things you've said. I'm just showing how they appear to apply to more than one of us right now.

Back to the t-shirt: wookiehumper - what are you thinking for the background, if any?
    57 weeks ago
    Ah, you got me on the quote - I muddled myself in choosing between long quotes or snappy wording. It should have been, "I know this stuff". The rest stands.

My first post was hopefully helpful and constructive (I do try and a good Dune shirt benefits us all). But then remember your little rant in the next post post about doing proper research (preceded by nothing that supported an inaccurate assertion) and calling me (quote) "the kind of person that insists on defining their own reality"

…because I happen to remember a bit more about a book I liked than you did. Yes, almost certainly a little bit aggressive. You were out of line.

John Schoenherr is just a guy who drew pictures. Brilliant pictures, but he didn't write Dune - this is bait-and-switch. In reference to your original, "You're selling to geeks. Dune geeks know this stuff." (again, that is a quote) was it really that out of place to point out something that a Dune geek would know?

Followed by a smiley!
    57 weeks ago
    apeman said: Ah, you got me on the quote - I muddled myself in choosing between long quotes or snappy wording. It should have been, "I know this stuff". The rest stands.

My first post was hopefully helpful and constructive (I do try and a good Dune shirt benefits us all). But then remember your little rant in the next post post about doing proper research (preceded by nothing that supported an inaccurate assertion) and calling me (quote) "the kind of person that insists on defining their own reality"

…because I happen to remember a bit more about a book I liked than you did. Yes, almost certainly a little bit aggressive. You were out of line.

John Schoenherr is just a guy who drew pictures. Brilliant pictures, but he didn't write Dune - this is bait-and-switch. In reference to your original, "You're selling to geeks. Dune geeks know this stuff." (again, that is a quote) was it really that out of place to point out something that a Dune geek would know?

Followed by a smiley!

I thought you thought the purpose of this thread was to provide critique and encouragement to the artist who started it. So I show how the book shows glowing eyes in a visual medium (which t-shirt design is), and that's my "little rant" (again with the passive-aggressive epithets)? And Schoenherr goes from "THE Dune artist" to "just a guy who drew pictures"? What's all that about?

I think those smileys aren't sincere.
    57 weeks ago
    Four lines is a little rant. Write a page about insisting "things things are a way they're not" in refuting a well documented Dune Factoid and I'll call it a big rant if you like. My point was that it was misplaced and accusatory at best. At worst it was an attack.

Not sure I can do this without repeating myself. Nothing I've said is mutually exclusive.

I hope my enthusiasm for John Schoenherr is evident, he has a special place in Dune history and in 1963 captured the essence of what Frank wrote in a way that few have managed since (honourable mentions to Jim Burns and my personal favourite: Sparth).

But they are all human artists and illustrators for hire working after Frank Herbert. Which is not mutually exclusive with being awesome.

The first smiley was sincere, until you turned it into an attack.

That was nice.
    57 weeks ago
    apeman said: The first smiley was sincere, until you turned it into an attack. That was nice.

You're welcome...?

I'm glad Schoenherr is back up above just a guy who drew pictures.
    57 weeks ago
    baron

Progress so far
    57 weeks ago
    Some good line work there.

What is the overarching idea?
  • Load More Comments