Back to forum
image zipper
rss 58 weeks ago
IS MY DESIGN RIGHT FOR TEEFURY?
Consider these things:
• Is this something that the TeeFury audience would like? (see our gallery of previously printed work)
• Is the design well executed?
• Is the concept clear or is it a reference so obscure, even the geekiest will not get it?
• Has a similar design been done before? Yes? Is this an improvement on that concept?
• Will the design work on multiple shirt colors?
• Is the submission presented well in the 640 x 800 pixel preview image?
• Have I followed the submission guidelines, as listed on the Submit page?

WHY WAS MY DESIGN NOT ACCEPTED?
Here’s a few possible reasons:
Fair Use – We respect the intellectual property rights of others and ask that you do the same. In this regard, Tee Fury and the designs that we print make only “fair use” of the IP rights of others. Take a look at some of examples of parody, satire, or social commentary we've printed in the past:

Dixon Bros Walker Control by Michael Myers Jr and WinterArtwork

Captain Tight Pants Delivery by Bamboota

There’s also the issue of font usage rights in designs with text. You must be the sole author(s) of the design and the design must be entirely your own original work, following in line with our artist’s agreement.

Too Many Colors – We currently print designs up to six colors. This includes black and white. When using halftones to keep your color count low, we recommend 55 LPI at a 45° angle.

Inappropriate – Keep it PG-13, people! Smurf butts are an exception.

Design Too Large/Too Small – The design falls beyond our 12” x 16” sizing limitations (12" x 13" to fit all Youth sizes) or, conversely, is so teen-weeny that it would only work on a cat-sized shirt (sorry, Whiskers, we do not print cat-sized shirts right meow).

Duplicate – The design is a duplicate of a previous work, a vector image trace of a photo, or is very similar to an already submitted work.

Upload Issue/Image Quality – The design upload was janky or the image wasn’t at least 72dpi. Keep in mind that a high-res copy of your work should be at least 300dpi.

Needs Work – If your design is almost there, we’ll let you know exactly what we’re looking for. If you feel like you want to resubmit a modified version of a rejected design – go for it!

DESIGN OVERLOAD!!! – While we appreciate every submission, and the submission process can be exciting, submitting a dozen works at once means we’re probably not going to accept them all. Space out your submissions out to give them, yourself, and us a little breathing room.

MOAR EXAMPLES PLZ
Here ya go:
Mash-ups that Appeal to Both Fanbases
‘Legend of Jedi’ by ramyb http://www.teefury.com/archive/2056/Legend_of_Jedi/
‘The Time Job’ by John Sumrow http://www.teefury.com/archive/2037/The_Time_Job/

Designs that Can Work on Multiple Shirt Colors (both light and dark)
'Mother of Dragons' by WhiteBison &
'Poe vs Lovecraft by jkilpatrick

Using Halftones, Big and Small
'Daftformers' by Drew Wise &
'Get Ducky' by mannypdesign

91Comments
    56 weeks ago
    Should we submit our design with a background color, or do you choose appropriate colors for the designs depending on the design itself?
  • image zipper
    56 weeks ago
    LelephantInk said: Should we submit our design with a background color, or do you choose appropriate colors for the designs depending on the design itself?

Submit your design with a background color. We ultimately choose the appropriate tee colors based on a number of factors. Having a design that can print on both light and dark shirts works to your advantage.
    56 weeks ago
    About how long does it take to hear back about our submissions? Will we only hear back if it is selected?
  • image zipper
    55 weeks ago
    Richelle said: About how long does it take to hear back about our submissions? Will we only hear back if it is selected?

Anywhere up to two weeks to hear back after your submission is normal, but you will hear from us if your design is accepted or is rejected.
    55 weeks ago
    tomkurzanski said:
    Richelle said: About how long does it take to hear back about our submissions? Will we only hear back if it is selected?

Anywhere up to two weeks to hear back after your submission is normal, but you will hear from us if your design is accepted or is rejected.

The notification of rejection is a welcome change. Many artists have designs sit in limbo for a few weeks only to hear nothing. That they will now get a rejection will go someway to helping them decide what to do next. Keeping the artists informed is a simple courtesy that will be very much appreciated.
    55 weeks ago
    I'm curious about the colors allowed in a design.
    Do you ever work with CMYK 4-color process for designs? Or just spot colors with half-tones for slight variations?
    55 weeks ago
    I don't quite understand the font rules. Does this mean I must use my own original font or nothing?
    55 weeks ago
    I'll try and answer both questions, correct me if I'm wrong.

TeeFury prints in Spot Color and Half-tones. Screen printing in CMYK is difficult and best left to other methods like Direct-to-Garment.

With fonts you must have permission to use them commercially. That normally means using fonts that are entirely free or ones that you have bought and licensed. Be aware that plenty of fonts you can get for free at places like www.DaFont.com are free for personal use only and you must pay the creator to use them commercially, though plenty are totally free to use for any purpose.

You can create your own lettering or fonts if you wish. I use Type Light http://www.cr8software.net/typelight.html which is free even for limited commercial use.
    54 weeks ago
    Here's something that's always been in the back of my brain and I've just never asked: if you have a design that is meant to be on a dark garment, and white is included in the design already, will that just combine with the underbase to be "one color" or will white design details be printed separately from the underbase? (That is, can I cheat and get a sixth color worked into a darker shirt if that color is white?) My knowledge on the finer points of screen printing is somewhat limited, but I'm trying to learn.
    54 weeks ago
    a bit more active instructions and feedback on what was liked and not liked in designs would be nice ! like if something was liked but the color was wrong or the copyright was violated ! thx
  • image zipper
    54 weeks ago
    diha said: Here's something that's always been in the back of my brain and I've just never asked: if you have a design that is meant to be on a dark garment, and white is included in the design already, will that just combine with the underbase to be "one color" or will white design details be printed separately from the underbase? (That is, can I cheat and get a sixth color worked into a darker shirt if that color is white?) My knowledge on the finer points of screen printing is somewhat limited, but I'm trying to learn.

Colors are limited to six total - the base doesn't count as a part of that six.

Nexus_1 said: a bit more active instructions and feedback on what was liked and not liked in designs would be nice ! like if something was liked but the color was wrong or the copyright was violated ! thx

With the amount of submissions that we receive, it's impossible to respond directly to each individual. If we like your design but need a minor change or two, we'll get in touch. If you look over the guidelines and find yourself still wondering why a design might have not been accepted, contact us and we'll get back to you whenever possible.
    54 weeks ago
    Hi,
    So just to clarify, we are always going to get a response telling if a our piece was accepted or rejected? Even if its not detailed why, just a simple heads up? That's awesome to know and it will keep my wife from stressing out if something of hers has been chosen or not lol.
  • image zipper
    54 weeks ago
    mingioad said: So just to clarify, we are always going to get a response telling if a our piece was accepted or rejected?

Correct :)
    54 weeks ago
    tomkurzanski said:

Thanks Tom! I sent mine in about a month ago but I never heard anything. Would I get a response sent to my email or to my account here? I checked my spam and didn't see it there either. Can you let me know if you received it or if I should try to re-submit it? Thanks again!
  • image zipper
    53 weeks ago
    Richelle said:
    tomkurzanski said:

Thanks Tom! I sent mine in about a month ago but I never heard anything. Would I get a response sent to my email or to my account here? I checked my spam and didn't see it there either. Can you let me know if you received it or if I should try to re-submit it? Thanks again!

The automated system wasn't in place at that time. It was likely not selected, but feel free to resubmit if you've changed the design in some way.
    52 weeks ago
    Just wanted to ask if designs that we submit have to be fully computer edited or could they be scans of the design which will be colored and outlined as required?
    52 weeks ago
    I have some (I think) great ideas for designs, but I am a writer, not a designer. Is there a part of this forum where designers and idea-writers partner to co-create shirt designs for your site?

Thanks!
    51 weeks ago

I'm curious about what programs you use to create these designs when you talk about "using halftones to keep your colour count low, we recommend 55 LPI at a 45° angle", as ive struggled myself with colours on the designs.

I've been using Adobe Illustrator CS5.5 and CS6 for my designs. But is there a better program within the Adobe Suite I should be using? or a completely different program?

Also to do with colours should i be using RGB or CMYK?
  • image zipper
    51 weeks ago
    Desmond13377 said: Just wanted to ask if designs that we submit have to be fully computer edited or could they be scans of the design which will be colored and outlined as required?

All submissions should be representative of your final ready-to-print artwork. No works-in-progress.

AndrewSellon said: I have some (I think) great ideas for designs, but I am a writer, not a designer. Is there a part of this forum where designers and idea-writers partner to co-create shirt designs for your site?

Thanks!

In the past there hasn't been a specific thread, but here ya go: Collaboration Connection

ohitson said:

I'm curious about what programs you use to create these designs when you talk about "using halftones to keep your colour count low, we recommend 55 LPI at a 45° angle", as ive struggled myself with colours on the designs.

I've been using Adobe Illustrator CS5.5 and CS6 for my designs. But is there a better program within the Adobe Suite I should be using? or a completely different program?

Also to do with colours should i be using RGB or CMYK?

The TeeFury Team uses the Adobe Suite, as well, ohitson - PS & Illustrator CS6, primarily. You can find some good tutorials on Youtube that will help with half-toning. For colors, use CMYK.
    51 weeks ago
    Do submissions have to be unique to TeeFury? For example if I have accounts on other sites where I can post shirt designs, does a design have to be removed from all other sites before submitting to TeeFury?
  • image zipper
    51 weeks ago
    digitalphx said: Do submissions have to be unique to TeeFury? For example if I have accounts on other sites where I can post shirt designs, does a design have to be removed from all other sites before submitting to TeeFury?

Nope! :)
    50 weeks ago
    I have an older Dell laptop & Asus tablet (Droid), I was wondering if I can hand draw/color art, scan it & then use old school Windows paint?
    50 weeks ago
    Is the font on Windows paint allowed to be used in art?
  • image zipper
    50 weeks ago
    Theresa13 said: I have an older Dell laptop & Asus tablet (Droid), I was wondering if I can hand draw/color art, scan it & then use old school Windows paint?

Unfortunately, Theresa, MS Paint files don't achieve the high-res quality we're looking for. There are some great free programs out there: LINK
    50 weeks ago
    can the color have a gradient? (for example if i make the drawing on adobe illustrator)
  • Load More Comments