Back to forum
rss 54 weeks ago
I am a tattoo artist from Victoria BC Canada. I order alot of shirts from this site, and figured id try out some of my designs. this is my first attempt.

Please comment and advise ty. cherrs

Zombi photo zombitee.jpg
15Comments
    54 weeks ago
    zombi tee photo ZombiShirt2.jpg
    46 weeks ago
    Just digging through the designs... I like this!
    46 weeks ago
    ty, I thought it was a good idea, but they never got back to me so I guess it wasn't as good as i thought lol
    46 weeks ago
    Maybe because the lines look hand drawn and they go for smoother lines? Do it again using smoother vectors, maybe. Inkscape is a great free program for PC and Mac if you don't have Illustrator.
    46 weeks ago
    I use Sketchbook pro. This was my first shot and ty for the feedback maybe ill clean it up more and try again.
    46 weeks ago
    here is this any cleaner? or still the same issue? this was try #2
    http://www.teefury.com/forum/9479/My_second_upload_/
    46 weeks ago
    I'd say a little of the same 'problem' ...it's not a problem per se, but t-shirt design seems to have this unwritten rule that it needs to be really smooth lines.

Here's an example with a very simple line.

MOm6Wo0.gif

Less is better. Less points of information ('nodes') mean the line sweeps instead of stutters. And that seems to be what printers are looking for.

line_quality.jpg
    46 weeks ago
    I just looked at what SketchBook Pro can do, and it's all about rasterized (bitmap-type) art. Painting with pixels. It gives a great duplication of pen fade and width narrowing at the end of a stroke, but that means it's subject to hand jitter.
    45 weeks ago
    rad good info ty, and how do you suggest I tackle said smoother lines, as yes i draw it all by hand on a cintiq
    45 weeks ago
    Start Inkscape.

Import the bitmap. It doesn't matter if you link to it or embed it, as long as you have it in the same place (same file heirachy, same file name) as when you first linked it.

Turn on Levels (crtl + shift + L).

Make your bitmap image semi-transparent. The opacity level has a slider.

Add a new layer. But it above the bitmap.

Add vectors to it. I use the Pen tool to draw the lines and then say if I want just the line (stroke) or a fill in that line. I'm going to do a TIPS help page showing how to do certain shapes. Do you mind if I use your picture as the template? I will only do a small section in the picture.
    45 weeks ago
    sure go ahead. Are there other easier to use programs out there then inkscape that can fix/make better lines? as im finding it really hard to use on my cintiq tablet w/stylus
    45 weeks ago
    I've used Illustrator, and that feels like wrestling a bear compared to Inkscape. I have a friend that raves about Xara, but I've only used their 3D software to render text in 3D (it's not bad).

For the TIPS thing, I'll just do Thumper's dead foot. It takes ages to do a step-by-step, with screenshots that make sense and putting together a narrative. Expect that in the coming days.
    45 weeks ago
    ok so iv discovered I hate illustrator, but i did manage to vector trace and fixed the rest of the lines in PS. is this better/good enough quality?
    [URL=http://s8.photobucket.com/user/dethwalk/media/deertake2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a21/dethwalk/deertake2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    45 weeks ago
    this work?
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a21/dethwalk/deertake2.jpg
    45 weeks ago
    jessetattoo said: this work?
    deertake2.jpg

Looks great, nice tidy lines. Not sure about the 'Walt Dead' text though. Maybe Walking Deadly?

Also I agree about Illustrator, I use it and its interface seems to have been designed by the Riddler's demented half brother, the Super Evil Riddler. Not a great program for new users. If you use a PC (or bootcamp), CorelDraw is leaps and bounds ahead. Unlike Illustrator, with CorelDraw you can guess what almost every function does without needing to search the net on how to do the simplest of tasks.