Back to forum
rss 71 weeks ago
Okay, so I had a thread for my designs, but I was adding them into the comments, and I just felt like they were getting lost down there. So here's a new thread with designs from the old one and a couple that have not shown up in the forum yet. I'd love to hear your thoughts on these!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

3Comments
    71 weeks ago
    I like your adventure time parody. I might beef up your lines a bit just to make it stand out and look a little more finished. My other concern with it is that the mash up seems familiar somehow, I might have dreamt it but I wouldn't be surprised to see another Finn/Link hybrid out there somewhere.

Nice job on the order 66 shirt. I'm not a huge follower of the Star Wars clone side stories so without the familar font to connect it, I personally wouldn't have understood it to be a Star Wars shirt, but in past experience, obscurity can sometimes play in your favor. It generates debate and can can increase your sales. Nice halftoning, I might have to hit you up for a lesson ;)
    71 weeks ago
    I've also played 'Adventure' for 2600 because yes, I'm that old. I got it right away. I probably would have got it without the text. ;)
    71 weeks ago
    Thanks for the comments, man! As for the Finn/Link thing, yes, it has definitely been done before (more than once). The more unique parts were the name connection (although, since I came up with it, I found someone who made the same connection, albeit not on a shirt) and the character assignments, particularly Jake as Darunia and LSP as Navi (look close!). I appreciate your thoughts on the line weight (I did throw a little variety in there, but I mostly stuck with thin lines like they use in the animation). I'm doing these in Inkscape, and it's just not as good at clean inks as Illustrator (which I use at work), but it's free, so for now, it's what I've got to use for my personal stuff. Maybe I'll beef 'em up later once I've gotten enough distance from the piece, but for right now, I'm tired of it and want to move on to other things (and frankly, better, more original, ideas).

I too am old enough to have been a 2600 player, but I mostly know "Adventure" by rep. Most of my games were by Activision, because they were cheaper (Chopper Command and Spider Fighter were awesome in the pre-NES days of my youth). Still the joke was too good not to do. As for the other shirt, Order 66 is actually from the films (specifically Episode 3). It's been explored a lot more in the extra stuff, but it is "film canon."

Regarding the halftones, they're really not hard if you're coloring in Photoshop, even an older version of it (I've got CS5 at work, but most of these were done at home in CS1). Just make one color's worth of halftones (just the halftones, not the solid prints; I each color in a separate layer and the halftones of each color in an additional separate layer to make it easier to separate them) into a grayscale image by itself and flatten it down to a background plate. Save it under a different name than the original image. Run the "Color halftone" filter on the flat image (I did these with 8-12 pixel halftones at 300 dpi, but you can make them bigger for a more pop art effect if you want). Then turn the flat background into an editable layer, and use select color range to select and delete all the white to make the layer transparent. Drag it back into your color Photoshop file as a new layer, and use the color overlay layer effect to make it the right color. Viola! You may have to erase out some excess dots that go outside the lines (you can select the areas to halftone before you run the halftone filter, and it will help some, but you'll still probably have a few extraneous dots that need to be erased). If you want to have the halftones in vectors, you can always trace them in Illustrator or whatever, but I don't do it, because it just makes the file way too big and cumbersome. I am told creating in Manga Studio (EX 4 and up) makes halftone operations even easier, because lots of halftone patterns are pre-programmed, and apparently you can make new ones fairly easily (and you can work in either vectors or bitmaps, depending on your preference).

Thanks for the feedback!