15Comments
    60 weeks ago
    Full image completed. Ready for coloring:
    photo WIP-1_zpsc57b70fe.jpg
    60 weeks ago
    Well here's the final version:
    photo RealWaterPolo_zpsa5304106.png
    59 weeks ago
    Alright, bump for any feedback please. Positive or Negative, give me something
    59 weeks ago
    are the lines' colors off becuse of shrinking the photo?

The most obvious examples I see are the left riders back and arm and the right rider's mallet.

Other than that it doesn't look bad It's not something I would buy but it's solid work.
    59 weeks ago
    This is a beautiful illustration and something I would be extremely interested in purchasing! I think the only thing I'd like to see are either some subdued colours or some depth with shadows. I also am not sure if there's a highlight around the black lines, but maybe a thicker black outline around the entire image would help settle it into the shirt :) Gorgeous otherwise!!!
    59 weeks ago
    Thanks! I put a white outline around the whole thing to make the stand out against the dark background, but if it doesn't look good, I can fix that pretty easy. I totally agree on the shadows, I really wanted to add some depth and stuff to it, especially on the seahorses, but I wasn't sure how to do that while keeping it under six colors.
    I will play with the color brightness too
    58 weeks ago
    photo WPColors3_zpsab1baefb.png

Alright, I've cropped out the second guy so it fits better on a shirt, ditched the white, and added shading. It's still six colors
    58 weeks ago
    It looks great I still don't really "get" it... but it's fantastic work
    58 weeks ago
    It looks great I still don't really "get" it... but it's fantastic work
    58 weeks ago
    Polo is a sport played on horses, hitting a ball with a club. Water Polo is like hand ball in the water. It's a joke/play on words
    58 weeks ago
    Great artwork. The shading helps a lot, and it's a much stronger image with just the one guy (plus, as you say, it fits better on a shirt).

From what you said about the colors, and the fact that you took white out of the image, it sounds to me like you're treating the shading as two additional color tones. Just so you know, that won't work on a dark background like you have here, since a white base will be required to print it (besides that being TeeFury's policy--5 colors on dark shirts, 6 on light--I work for a screen printing shop, so trust me on this one; the colors would need white behind them to pop).

But you don't actually have to add additional colors to do the shading. A halftone dot pattern of black will do the same job without adding a color. If that was your plan from the start, I apologize, but your mention of not going over the color limit combined with your removal of the white (honestly, I think the cap looks better in black anyway) made me wonder about that.

Keep up the good work!
    58 weeks ago
    Ok yeah I was wondering about that. I was counting the dark yellow and dark tan as two separate colors, but I forgot about the white base. I have created a halftone before for an old design but I couldn't remember off the top of my head how to do it. I'll look it up, fix the shadows so it's one unified halftone and that should bring it to five colors, and the white would make six.
    Thanks for the comment!
    58 weeks ago
    photo WPColors4_zps83d3a951.png
    Half-toned! Now we are down to 5 colors again (including the white base)
    58 weeks ago
    Very nice!

Now, if I may make one more suggestion, you might want to try a courser halftone (one where you can see the dots clearly as black circles). My reasoning for the suggestion is that your clean lines and bright colors hint at a kind of Lichtenstein/pop art style that the more obvious halftones could work well with.

Just a thought. Don't get rid of this version if you try it, so that you can go back if you don't like it. Anyway, it looks good now. I just thought it might be a cool way to go with it.
    58 weeks ago
    I'll test it out! Thanks for the feedback!