Back to forum
rss 74 weeks ago
Just curious how many Secret of NIMH fans we have out there. Just submitted this design and I was hoping it would spark some interest in the Tee Community. Please let me know if it's something you'd like and hopefully we can have enough that TeeFury will print it. Thanks!!

photo NIMH-tee_mock.jpg

photo NIMH_mock.jpg

Warbucks Design
www.facebook.com/WarbucksDesign
www.twitter.com/WarbucksDesign

(in collaboration with Ironwings Studio)
15Comments
    74 weeks ago
    That looks really top notch. Great design.
    74 weeks ago
    Rewatched the movie not too long ago. It's a classic.

My critique would be to use silhouettes that reflect the character designs from the animated film. For Dragon the Cat's silhouette on the bottom, I'd curve the pose to match the shape of the rest of the design. The cat's silhouette is very wide, flat, and straight, weighing the design down.

As it stands, it's difficult to tell what the reference is without some clearer visual cues drawn from the movie.
    74 weeks ago
    Thanks. The intent was to get away from the fun animated feel and have a more realistic take on the film. Hopefully making it darker and a bit more adult. Seriously, the movie was kind of a dark subject but the characters made it kid friendly that most of us grew up watching. I feel that it achieves that and even though it doesn't project NIMH as the whimsical feature it was, it makes people stop a moment and hopefully discover the details in the design that relate to the movie. I felt the cat was a very good weight for the bottom of the design and pulled the overall design together. Because of the look of it, I've actually had some people say they would wear the shirt because of the design and they haven't even seen the movie which gives it an extra something. (Those are my thoughts on the design process)

Appreciate your feedback and discussing!
    74 weeks ago
    Thanks for sharing the rationale behind the design. Your design choices make sense given your explanation.
    74 weeks ago
    I don't remember the movie very well but I loved the book... which I believe was titled "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH". One of my all time favorite books, so it's awesome to see a NIMH design. I really like the style of the illustration. I think the cat at the bottom works well. The only thing that bothers me is the bottom text, particularly the words 'too' and 'much' being in their own section. Otherwise really cool design, I would wear it.
    74 weeks ago
    Yes! I'd like to see more color. You already have blue in Dragon's eye. How about using it for shadow on the animals?
    74 weeks ago
    Hi razubi. My intent was to keep everything red and gold (yellow) but when I was playing with dragon... having one eye yellow and the other red just really didn't work for me. So I went with a touch of blue. As you mentioned, I tried to spread blue through the design but the colors just didn't look right. Keeping it all red/yellow just really made the design darker and a bit more evil; if you will.
    73 weeks ago
    i would definitely istabuy it
    73 weeks ago
    Thanks.
    71 weeks ago
    warbucks360 said: Hi razubi. My intent was to keep everything red and gold (yellow) but when I was playing with dragon... having one eye yellow and the other red just really didn't work for me. So I went with a touch of blue. As you mentioned, I tried to spread blue through the design but the colors just didn't look right. Keeping it all red/yellow just really made the design darker and a bit more evil; if you will.

I just saw this. You're right, the current colors make it more evil. I thought the blue would include the magical aspect, but that's not the design's focus.
    71 weeks ago
    I like the design, and I'm glad you didn't try to emulate the movie too much. The book is a classic and seeing a new interpretation is always nice. There is something a little off about the balance. Dragon's body is heavier on the left and the darker elements above him are making the crest seemingly lean in that direction. Even if you were to flip a few to the other side, or toggle the two larger rats more to the right to even it out. If there is still concern about character reference, perhaps putting Dragon's food dish with his name to the right and have Mrs. Frisby/Brisby (depending on the version to which you are paying tribute) perched on the side attempting to drug it. That might help with the balance and fill that area of space a bit. Otherwise, excellent technique. Nice job!
    71 weeks ago
    Great comments. Thank you!
    65 weeks ago
    Any idea if this will be printed? I'm hoping it is in the line-up for May.
    65 weeks ago
    Yes! It is perfection. And I wouldn't add any more blue, it make's Dragon's eye even more dramatic.
    65 weeks ago
    Hi guys. No luck in getting a response on this one so I think they passed on it. It's unfortunate. I'm happy you like it though.