Back to forum
rss 78 weeks ago
I'm new. I see you have a forum (though you must be using the W1K forum package because it is the only forum I've ever seen like this one with no categories, no stickies, no organization and a basic thread publishing free-for-all, though on the positive side, y'all have search...also, the instant preview is a nice touch). I've submitted some stuff, but have received no feedback, comments or anything else at all.

Now, this might be the product of my lacking Dr. Who fandom, and I can both appreciate and accept that, but assuming I actually want a shot at having one of my designs chosen for your tee-shirt of the day, how might I go about getting some sort of feedback such that I can either improve upon what has been submitted or what I should focus on submitting?

I have over 10,000 images that I've manipulated (though, probably only 1,000 of those would work, or could be re-worked, as a tee-shirt design), but I have no intention of flooding your site with these images because I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it, and also because they are mine until someone gives me a reason for them to be theirs.

I know they're funny, because I've seen the milk coming out of people's noses to prove it, but I also know that no one else is gonna know that unless they're exposed to them.

And so, to further that exposure, here goes...

So, I chose these 3 to start with because they were the simplest and most tee-shirtable, design-wise, and also met the color limit restriction in addition to:

1. The Madonna/NBA-spoof (BA - Blond Ambition) has a more unisex appeal as well as appealing to those of various gender identification groups, and is mildly clever (though not terribly funny)

2. The Gauntlet/Got Milk-spoof (Wizard needs food BADLY!) because it has the esoteric video game geek thing going for it, and it's a little bit funny, a little bit clever and a little bit something else that I haven't figured out yet.

3. Poison/Chicken/Foghorn Leghorn - I don't laugh online often and I have no idea how few times I've made myself laugh, but it's not many, and I think this idea is hilarious, and I still laugh at it, as do most who see it and understand the small amount of French required to get the joke.

Or, they all smurf, which I'm fully prepared to accept as well. Just lookin' for someone to tell me as much.

(also, can one use expletives in your forum. I like expletives and use them often when it is permissible, but since I have no idea if it is or not, I have refrained from doing that kind of sh!t just yet.)
7Comments
    78 weeks ago
    Never mind...I see them now. I outsmarted myself on that one.

Oh well, feedback is still appreciated.
    78 weeks ago
    never mind, then...
    78 weeks ago
    meow. The Gauntlet one is kinda funny, but I take it you didn't draw that image? "Manipulating" an image doesn't make it yours to use and earn money with, unless you have made an arrangement with the copyright holder.
    78 weeks ago
    yea these all look pretty cut and pasted together the pousson one is sort of cute. but not milk out nose funny. expletives should be avoided for everyone's comfort. Plus they don't really enhance anything you say anyway.

Dr. is pretty popular here but maybe one out of 7 or 8 shirts more than any other fandom sure but far and wide not a majority.

there are about 1200 submissions a month so competition is fierce. I submit quite often yet to be pronted and I know artists much better than myself who have yet to be printed.

If you have a fully original piece you like to share and get feedback on many here would love to help(even if you do insult the forum layout ;))

Also the forum doesn't move too quickly so be patient waiting for responses
    72 weeks ago
    RiteGuyShirt said: yea these all look pretty cut and pasted together the pousson one is sort of cute. but not milk out nose funny. expletives should be avoided for everyone's comfort. Plus they don't really enhance anything you say anyway.

Dr. is pretty popular here but maybe one out of 7 or 8 shirts more than any other fandom sure but far and wide not a majority.

there are about 1200 submissions a month so competition is fierce. I submit quite often yet to be pronted and I know artists much better than myself who have yet to be printed.

If you have a fully original piece you like to share and get feedback on many here would love to help(even if you do insult the forum layout ;))

Also the forum doesn't move too quickly so be patient waiting for responses

I don't think anything I wrote or added qualifies as an expletive. I'm no good with Illustrator/CorelDraw...probably because I'm not an artist...just someone with ideas and a modiBoldlyGo of ability with photomanipulation.

The Madonna one is certainly not drawn, but it's cut out and then the brightness was kicked to 100, so it became a silhouette and is so wildly different than the original image that no possible copyright can be asserted upon its use.

Copyright is dead, anyway. The sooner everyone realizes this, the sooner they can go about making money in other ways, but I certainly understand not wanting to be the test case for this.

I'm not using this example because it's wonderful or that great or anything, but it's not drawn either.

It was made using this image:

Emperor_RotJ.png

So, if I flip it to a vector instead of a raster, then it's cool or something?

Not that it matters, but I'm curious.
    72 weeks ago
    You didn't use any expletives. You ask about them specifically though
    72 weeks ago
    As far as I know, teefury only uses original art created from scratch. As RiteGuy said, they have a lot of artists submitting original work, so a manipulated image is not likely to compete very well.

Another reason your designs weren't chosen may be that the pop culture references aren't popular enough. Being funny is not always enough; people want to wear shirts about the things they love. Star Wars is certainly popular, but Madonna and Foghorn Leghorn aren't the hot ticket these days. (Ok, Madonna is popular, but not among this crowd).