Back to forum
rss 83 weeks ago
Several of my shirts have colors which look gray from a distance, but up close are closely packed dots of black. I am working on a design that is going to need some grayscale on top of colors, so to prevent going over the color limit, how do you I this black-to-gray trick?
5Comments
    83 weeks ago
    it's halftones. if you go on youtube and serch halftones for (whichever programe you are using) there should be videos that show you step by step
    82 weeks ago
    I found one for GIMP, but it wasn't very clear. If I lasso a section (the whole thing isn't grayscale), can I just do that one section in halftone? Also, what specs must we use to make the halftone printable?
    82 weeks ago
    sorry but i can't help you i use inkscape, and i havn't subed any ideas yet. but i'm sure there are other people that can help.
    82 weeks ago
    StoicPariah said: I found one for GIMP, but it wasn't very clear. If I lasso a section (the whole thing isn't grayscale), can I just do that one section in halftone? Also, what specs must we use to make the halftone printable?

I'll try to summarize what I tried on Photoshop: I used color range selection on the red channel halftone circles to create a cookie cutter for halftone. Then I inverted the selection so I could delete and leave behind halftone circles of an existing shape. Like removing the extra dough and leaving behind the cookies.
    82 weeks ago
    razubi said:
    StoicPariah said: I found one for GIMP, but it wasn't very clear. If I lasso a section (the whole thing isn't grayscale), can I just do that one section in halftone? Also, what specs must we use to make the halftone printable?

I'll try to summarize what I tried on Photoshop: I used color range selection on the red channel halftone circles to create a cookie cutter for halftone. Then I inverted the selection so I could delete and leave behind halftone circles of an existing shape. Like removing the extra dough and leaving behind the cookies.

Thanks for the help. I mostly use PAINT.NET and today I found a halftone plugin that is really easy to use and works pretty well, but I've only tried it for grayscale, so I've yet to see if I could use it for colorful halftones.