Back to forum
rss 70 weeks ago
Hi, I'm new here and I really like the vibe I'm getting from this website. Now, here's the thing. I'm fairly good at designing graphics and I have a ton of great ideas, but I don't know the best way to create something for this website. For instance, I don't know if it's better to use anti-aliasing brushes or not, given the color limit. What programs or styles to do you prefer? I have Photoshop Elements, Corel Painter Essentials, and GIMP. I have a Wacom tablet so keep that in mind. If you have any tutorials or guides that you think would help I'm welcome to that too. I'm interested to see what you're going to say.

Thank you. :)
6Comments
    70 weeks ago
    Hey haha I'm a newbie too, and I've been wondering what programs designers use to create their submissions.. and also, is your tablet good? I'm thinking about getting something like that as I find it hard to go straight onto the computer with drawing.. I need to do it by hand if that makes sense
    70 weeks ago
    caos95 said: Hey haha I'm a newbie too, and I've been wondering what programs designers use to create their submissions.. and also, is your tablet good? I'm thinking about getting something like that as I find it hard to go straight onto the computer with drawing.. I need to do it by hand if that makes sense
    I know what you mean, and yes, it's great. It might seem a little awkward at first, but once you get some practice with it it'll help so much in the long run.
    69 weeks ago
    It's best to use a vector drawing program like Illustrator or Inkscape. You can use whatever program that you want. Just make sure that if you use a painting program like Photoshop or GIMP, set your canvas to the size that you want the design to be on the shirt.
    69 weeks ago
    caos95 said: Hey haha I'm a newbie too, and I've been wondering what programs designers use to create their submissions.. and also, is your tablet good? I'm thinking about getting something like that as I find it hard to go straight onto the computer with drawing.. I need to do it by hand if that makes sense

The way I do it is I sketch onto paper, ink the lines, then scan the paper. Then in GIMP, I add a new transparent layer, and use my tablet to trace the inked lines from the scanned paper. Then you just have to color it.
    68 weeks ago
    On Photoshop, I read it's better to use pencil with a hard edge instead paintbrush. Paintbrush and soft edges have some transparencies so you end up making more than one color.

For the same reason you wouldn't want the sensitive touch effect with Corel and tablets because of transparent strokes.
    68 weeks ago
    Also if you are using gimp2.8 deselect antialiasing field for the tool in use in the dock options. I always use fill bucket tool after just to make sure its all black, or you can use threshold or levels to black and white it deleting the white after. than duplicate the line work about 6-8 times putting one colour on each layer and than effects on the 2 not used.