Back to forum
rss 71 weeks ago
Did a quick design over break and am looking for feedback on it.

Photobucket

I like how the drawings turned out but I feel like it's lacking in excitement. I'm not against changing it entirely or starting again. Any feedback is welcome.
17Comments
    71 weeks ago
    looks good but the picture looks like its been cut off
    71 weeks ago
    kingbilly said: looks good but the picture looks like its been cut off

Yeah i think the file i uploaded is too big. If you click it, it will bring you to the full sized image. Sorry about that
    71 weeks ago
    I think flipping the last one to face the right would help. Their expressions and poses are too similar. Maybe open Charmander's mouth and lift one of their arms.

I like the detail though.
    71 weeks ago
    razubi said: I think flipping the last one to face the right would help. Their expressions and poses are too similar. Maybe open Charmander's mouth and lift one of their arms.

Good points. Yeah I definitely think they all look too similarly posed.

Would they look better standing or should I pose them so they're almost interacting?
    71 weeks ago
    mbecks114 said:
    razubi said: I think flipping the last one to face the right would help. Their expressions and poses are too similar. Maybe open Charmander's mouth and lift one of their arms.

Good points. Yeah I definitely think they all look too similarly posed.

Would they look better standing or should I pose them so they're almost interacting?

Bulbasaur looks fine to me. I like that he makes eye contact with the viewer.

Interacting/in the middle of movement poses would help the other two. I did a quick google search and saw this Pokemon/Avatar mash as an example:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyQmUFNnSq6LlCo7cEy8nBtKyYEonpppNcSpLXWWwQ6FYAnByU

Also for TeeFury, you're limited to 6 colors.
    71 weeks ago
    Yeah that's exactly along the line I had in mind, a little more action/energy. I'll start doodling again.

I usually do my designs with regular coloring and then try to work my way down to 6 colors, so that's a WIP
    71 weeks ago
    mbecks114 said: Yeah that's exactly along the line I had in mind, a little more action/energy. I'll start doodling again.

I usually do my designs with regular coloring and then try to work my way down to 6 colors, so that's a WIP

Okay. I wasn't sure if you were waiting on changing it to 6 later. Just making sure.
    71 weeks ago
    Yeah it'll be challenging to get it down to so few colors but I'll work at it.

Opinion on the Pokeball in the backgroud? Any other feedback? Would anyone be interested in a realistic pokemon shirt?
    71 weeks ago
    Bump
    70 weeks ago
    definitely make the poses more dynamic, the background is a nice touch, but if they were in a pre fight pose or something, it would be more interesting to look at. otherwise the artwork is great!
    70 weeks ago
    balloontree said: definitely make the poses more dynamic, the background is a nice touch, but if they were in a pre fight pose or something, it would be more interesting to look at. otherwise the artwork is great!

Alright! Great feedback thanks man :)

Another question, since I'll be redrawing it should I stick with these or should I go with their evolutions?
    68 weeks ago
    I think the drawings are very well done!

Like others suggested, the poses need work to make them more exciting.

Also, it made me think about this artist: http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/10/20/rad-realistic-pokemon-art.html

who does realistic pokemon drawings. I would suggest if you are going to go the realistic route go full force. Right now, your drawings are kind of stuck in the middle between cartoon and realistic.
    68 weeks ago
    heyboova said: I think the drawings are very well done!

Also, it made me think about this artist: http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/10/20/rad-realistic-pokemon-art.html

who does realistic pokemon drawings. I would suggest if you are going to go the realistic route go full force. Right now, your drawings are kind of stuck in the middle between cartoon and realistic.

I agree. There is a ton of hyper realistic Pokemon art out there, and this is FAR from what could be called "realistic". It's basically just less cute versions of the originals. Which is a treatment that only zubat deserves.
    68 weeks ago
    StoicPariah said:

I agree. There is a ton of hyper realistic Pokemon art out there, and this is FAR from what could be called "realistic". It's basically just less cute versions of the originals. Which is a treatment that only zubat deserves.

Yeah that's the guy who inspired the ideas behind this shirt. But i totally agree, they are trapped between cartoonish and realistic. I think that's just my style, I don't have nearly the amount of photoshop skills to rival Arvalis. I almost don't think it's worth attempting to work on this one any further.
    68 weeks ago
    mbecks114 said:
    StoicPariah said:

Yeah that's the guy who inspired the ideas behind this shirt. But i totally agree, they are trapped between cartoonish and realistic. I think that's just my style, I don't have nearly the amount of photoshop skills to rival Arvalis. I almost don't think it's worth attempting to work on this one any further.

Well, there's gotta be a very simple way to turn this into a MashedPotato. I wouldn't abandon hope.
    68 weeks ago
    Haven't posted on here in a while (daily shirt sites honestly haven't been impressive lately), but I just wanted to log in to say that your art has improved immensely. Keep it up!
    68 weeks ago
    Scafl said: Haven't posted on here in a while (daily shirt sites honestly haven't been impressive lately), but I just wanted to log in to say that your art has improved immensely. Keep it up!

Well thanks a lot dude :) I will hopefully have some time to pump out more designs this coming year. I am setting my sights on making 6 color ones that can actually be printed on teefury