Hey guys! I'm new here and this is my first design that I want to submit. I'm still tweaking things like composition and line weight, but I have some questions on coloring.

I know there is a six color limit but I don't fully understand it. Does black count? Are gradients allowed and do they count as one or two colors? (Ie. black to grey and red to blue.) Is a different shade counted as a different color?

I'm having a hard time choosing six colors and I've already simplified the design as much as I feel comfortable with and still feel true to Bill Watterson's style.

So if you have any suggestions or critiques for me, I'm open!

Sorry for the watermark, just wanted to be on the safe side!
10Comments
    71 weeks ago
    black and white count as colour and different shades count as different colours as they have to screen print them. some people use half tones so the can have more. also people use the colour of the shirt in the design therefore adding an extra colour.
    personally i think if you have her coat, hat and mittens and his fez and bowtie red
    the big bits behind them look like rocks also the lump next to the tardis so i would say grey
    brown for the trees, her suit case and for his body
    green for the grass
    blue for the tardis obv
    and if you have the outline black thats 6 colours. but thats just me personally
    71 weeks ago
    kingbillys colors sound good but on a personal note I REALLY expected the dotor and a companion riding the tardis in the oh so familiar styleso kudos love this.
    71 weeks ago
    Thank you, kingbilly! That really helps.

RiteGuyShirt said: kingbillys colors sound good but on a personal note I REALLY expected the dotor and a companion riding the tardis in the oh so familiar styleso kudos love this.

Haha, thank you! I know the Calvin and Hobbes thing is pretty common but I couldn't pass up the idea of The Raggedy Doctor from Amy's childhood. I hope I can do it justice.
    71 weeks ago
    oh yes! yes to kingbilly's ideas for the colors, yes to the shirt. when that comes out, i am going to buy it :)
    71 weeks ago
    Thanks, tefficat!

So here is what I have done so far... still a work in progress. I wanted to keep it true to the scene where Amy is waiting for the Doctor when she is a little girl so I opted to keep certain colors the same as the show.

I ended up learning how to use halftones so I could get different shades of the same color. I'm still tweaking them because I made some mistakes.

I feel like the composition is off so I'm working with the "title" and seeing if I can add more to the right side, like rocks using black halftone to create grey.

nysXv

Any suggestions, especially regarding the composition, are welcome! I think one more round of editing and I'm going to try submitting it. :)

71 weeks ago
    cmONV.png
    71 weeks ago
    Going against River's warning of Spoilers to tell you, I now want this shirt so bad that when I buy I will consider myself the boy who waited.
    71 weeks ago
    he calls her amelia pond as a kid so maybe something with amelia or amelia pond in for the 'tittle' but i think it looks great as it is
    71 weeks ago
    I love it!
    70 weeks ago
    Oh goodness. I heart this design so hard.