Idea I've been working on for a long time! Here's my next t-shirt design idea:
Photobucket

Golbatman and Pidgeotto!
15Comments
    88 weeks ago
    Photobucket
    with color
    88 weeks ago
    A tad worried it's not quite different enough though I really like the idea.
    88 weeks ago
    I think it's awesome. Would be a definite buy for me.
    Only thing for me is I'd rather see the "R" on Robin and the pokeballs on Batman's utility belt is a nice touch.
    88 weeks ago
    Thanks! If it's an "R" than he's too Robin, and he's "Pidgeotto" hence the "P"
    88 weeks ago
    You could have Robin, have an "R" And it could also mean; "Team Rocket", just an idea. :)
    88 weeks ago
    That's true! But I think Golbatman and Pidgeotto would be more likely to be beating up on Team Rocket than members.

And if it was an "R," Pidgeotto wouldn't be different enough from Robin.
    88 weeks ago
    This is great!!! I might like to see the pokemon a little bigger? But it's clean, it's clever, and it's a mash-up of 2 of my favorite things!

I think I'm counting 8 colors? Black, White, Blue, Purple, Red, Yellow, and brown.
    But if it's being printed on black (as it should) it would only be 7. Maybe if you eliminate the Yellow? Make it all white? That might work?
    88 weeks ago
    Darth_Jones said: I think I'm counting 8 colors? Black, White, Blue, Purple, Red, Yellow, and brown.

But if it's being printed on black (as it should) it would only be 7. Maybe if you eliminate the Yellow? Make it all white? That might work?

It's doable. Yes, black is the shirt color. So you've got Red, White, Blue, Purple, Yellow, Brown, Skin.

A fine Halftone of red over yellow does brown. Strike Brown from the list.

And a very fine Halftone of red over a slightly less fine yellow halftone offset from the red, over solid white for a pale fleshy color. Strike Skin from the list.

It's tricky (I just did a halftone test from scratch to see it was correct) but once you've got it right you should be able to hit all the colors with just 5. Don't try to do Purple as a red/blue halftone over white, it comes off nasty whichever way I tried it. ;)

That brings it down to 5 inks, Red, White, Blue, Purple, Yellow. White goes on twice over black (and dark) shirts meaning you hit the color limit of 6 inks, once as a base layer and the second time for all the areas of the design that have white in them.

It's a nice design. I agree with Jones idea about scaling up the Pokemon a bit too.

Good Work. :)
    88 weeks ago
    Alright thanks for the feedback! A lot of good stuff to work with! I'll definitely scale up the Pokemon, that's a pretty easy fix and it makes sense for them to be a larger focus on the design.

@Chuffy: Halftones came to mind when I was reconsidering my colors, and i know you're the resident expert on half tones so any tips on how to do them? I know you've posted it before. I have no idea how to half tone
    88 weeks ago
    mbecks114 said: @Chuffy: Halftones came to mind when I was reconsidering my colors, and i know you're the resident expert on half tones so any tips on how to do them? I know you've posted it before. I have no idea how to half tone

The forum is less than ideal for explaining how to do this, you'd perhaps do better googling for a halftoning tutorial on your specific package.

If I recall correctly one of these two methods (step 2 a or b) should work for some/most paint packages and vector programs regardless.

1. Create an area over laying the area where you wish to create the halftone. Do a separate layer for each color of halftone. Don't forget you solid color layer underneath either, in your case white or yellow.

2a. Fill it with a very light grey and convert it to halftone. The lighter the grey the finer the halftone should be. (bitmap programs tend to work in this method)

-OR-

2b. Fill it with a halftone directly if your program supports this. (usually vector and other most advanced programs use this method)

3. The right type of halftone for this task is usually a small circle or oval dots.

4. Adjust the screen angle to something around 45 degrees, this produces a nice pattern that shouldn't draw the eye. Play a bit with the settings, rotate it around, just try to avoid a straight up and down pattern.

5. If applying more than one halftone layer adjust the screen angle of one layer a bit more so the dots do not overlap each other.

This quick tutorial might not be perfect, but it'll point you in generally the right direction. ;)
    88 weeks ago
    Awesome thanks!!! I'll google around too! I appreciate the guidane!
    87 weeks ago
    Still working on the halftoning. I'm not even sure how to start but I'm researching. Here it is with the larger pokemon though:
    Photobucket
    87 weeks ago
    Here's my halftone experiment:
    Photobucket

I wasn't able to get a good halftone for the brown with the red and yellow but I only needed to cut one color so i cut the flesh and made a tone by laying half tone layers of red, yellow, and brown on a white base.

I think it looks pretty decent! hopefully the result looks good to you guys too. I'm going to keep playing around with the density of the tone dots.
    87 weeks ago
    Halftones generally don't look that great on scaled down versions of an image, but you seem to have achieved the necessary result. It works even at preview size. Good Job. :)
    87 weeks ago
    Thanks!!! All submitted, now hopefully the Teefury people like it too!