Back to forum
rss 263 weeks ago
Hey guys, first thread here on your spiffy forums :0 Since you guys seem to know shirts, I thought you guys would have just the help I've been looking for ;D

So I've been designing this shirt for a couple days now, not sure what looks best, or what to be done... I can't seem to get happy with it at all.

We have here a "normal(?)" version:

and a version I made with a hand

a quick color change (lazily) just to see how it looked... ehh..

and then another boring version with the "normal" image, and a RAWR...

So... how do I make this not smurf? How do I balance it out and have it work out alright?

Sorry for the smurfy anothersite template boring shirt, if I get something that pleases me I can photoshop it onto a real shirt or something... one step at a time.

I'm a total t-shirt noob, I haven't made one since 2006 and it was.. horribly amateur. I've at least tried to step it up a little with this design, maybe it's too bad to bother with? ;P

All feedback is appreciated, be as brutally honest as you have to be, my feelings won't be hurt (too much)
23Comments
    263 weeks ago
    I like them all but the last one. take that for what you will
    263 weeks ago
    it's a great start - my suggestions would be:

- use the first version - the hand doesn't quite fit and seems like an afterthought - RAWR is a little played out and doesn't really fit

- make the light blue business at the bottom the same dark purple as the outline (I just feel like the light blue isn't quite connecting. I think it would also balance out the horn that extends to the right.)

- I'd 1)take out the 3D effect lines on the ghosts. Then I'd change them to the light blue, reverse them out (so it's solid fill blue instead of the linework) and spread them out so that they trail up to the shoulder. That way, you'd give the feeling that the design was built to fit the shirt.

that's just my overly critical opinion, though. As is, it's a very marketable shirt!
    263 weeks ago
    also - the flash on your portfolio is incredibly awesome.
    263 weeks ago
    i love this design. but i would have to say im not a big fan of the hand or the rawr. i love the first one the best. nice work!
    263 weeks ago
    To everyone: Yeah I just made the RAWR last minute before posting it here... what was I thinking?

jecrt: hey man, I like your work, glad to get feedback from you! I followed your advice... for the most parts, heh. Although some people like the hand, it does seem like it was just shoved in there last minute. I played around with the 3D effect on the ghosts, but didn't like how the blue looked on the white shirt.. but I came back to that idea later. I spread them out and added a couple more so now it goes all the way up there. I also made the stuffs at the bottom purple, and kept it for a little while.

I have three versions below on real shirts... photoshopped quickly to give a better example. The first one is with the 3D still there, spread out ghosts, and the purple bottom. Then I made the shirt blue and exported it, did some thinking, made some changes, and then had the third version, and the regular flash version can be seen below that (before I post the image I will finish my replies)

Thanks for even checking out my portfolio man, you've got some really great stuff yourself, so I knew the ideas you had must be right ;D

mentalpatient: Thanks :3 I dropped the hand and the rawr below... I'm not sure how you felt about the blue shirt but someone told me they liked it more so I made a design that worked for that... let's see that image and get some more feedback, been going well so far :D

monstershirts.jpg
    263 weeks ago
    The latest version you posted (with the solid ghosts) is the best by far in my opinion. I really like the pink monster! Although you might want to make the halftone on him a little less obvious.
    263 weeks ago
    So do you like the blue more, or the white more? Would the white one look better with filled in ghosts like jecrt suggested?

And I made the halftone really obvious on purpose, heh. I played around with the halftone in this, and it only ended up on the monster. This was actually my first time playing around with halftones, I had wanted to do that for a little while now, so I thought a shirt would be the perfect chance ;D
    263 weeks ago
    Yeah the halftone is fine I just wasn't sure if you wanted it obvious or not. Lets see a version on white and a version on blue.
    263 weeks ago
    Btw Jecrt, really nice criticism man. Props.
    263 weeks ago
    Dope design BlueHippo :) Personal preference though I'd have The main character centered & up on the chest, would be cool if the ghost folk went up & over the shoulder.
    In any case you have skills :)
    263 weeks ago
    yeah dude - I like how it's turning out. From past experiences, people tend to smurf pretty hard on white shirts.

^^that was a horribly disgusting sentence.

silver seems to be a workable substitute for white.
    263 weeks ago
    Eeeergh...
    If I could edit my last post it would read like this..

"Dope design BlueHippo, you have skills :)"

I should not be allowed to use a computer when I'm this tired..I'm goin to bed. Night..
    263 weeks ago
    Stormink: Good criticism is what makes the world go round ;D

Crushem: Took your advice and moved it up, common shirt knowledge... I'm breaking the basics, I'll stick to those for now as I'm just getting into this ;P Oh and don't worry about it, staying up late happens to all of us :)

jecrt: haha, a wonderful mental image indeed. But, I've seemed to be noticing that. I think a girl would be more likely to buy a white shirt than a guy, or maybe I'm just crazy and out of the loop.

Anyways, here's a flash export of the white shirt and blue shirt (as requested by Stormink) with Crushem's rased suggestion:

(are the ones where they are actually on the shirt better? If so I'll try to post those from now on)

monstershirtwhitenblue.png
    263 weeks ago
    Oh sorry I didn't make myself clear... I think you should try one on white as well but make the ghosts opaque. Either the dark purple color or maybe the light blue. Until then I think the blue shirt is the better choice.
    263 weeks ago
    But yeah I think its more helpful to see it on people once you get past the basic design stage and move onto choosing colors and placement. (Actually I personally would just go straight from graphic only to photo-template, but that's because I dislike fake shirt templates.)
    263 weeks ago
    Ah gotcha, well how's this Sergent Stormink?

monstershirtz.jpg

;D

... I'm actually not sure if I would even buy that if I saw it on the front page... *rubs chin*
    263 weeks ago
    i really like this shirt!
    263 weeks ago
    I would buy it Blue Hippo.
    I think it looks pretty sweet, especially on the blue for the guys.

Im torn between the ghosts though. I think they looked better see through, but im not entirely sure.

263 weeks ago
    marshalmarvelous: Ah thank you! As a girl, which color would you prefer? The white or the blue? I was thinking if anyone was to buy a white shirt it would be a girl, but maybe the blue one is better? *scratches head* I'm not sure, I noticed you only have a couple posts on this site so I hope you return to give me another opinion, heh.

PungO: Yeah I dig the blue one as well :3 I was just talking to IrishRebel and he also was a bit torn between the 3D ghosts and the solid ones. However I think that I'd have to use the exact same design for two different colors.. I'd like to have two slightly different versions but I don't think people would print that *shrug*

Thanks again to everybody for the kind words :)
    263 weeks ago
    no problem. as i a girl i really like it on the white shirt unfortunatly i look terrible in white as i am too pasty and it makes me look dead. i like it better on the white because the lines are more defined and the ghosts look wicked on white. also i have two accounts im also under mentalpatient (yes the one who commented above).
    263 weeks ago
    Oh sorry for the confusion. Well you saying you like the white more is a slight step towards finding out if it's the right decision towards putting that on the 'girls shirt' ;P

Quick change, tongue or no tongue?

monstershirtztonguel.jpg
    263 weeks ago
    umm.. about the tounge. i actually like the tounge on it. it makes it look well how can i put this? more realistic i guess. i want this shirt.
    262 weeks ago
    Def add the tongue