Back to forum
rss 90 weeks ago
I'm using halftones for my artwork in photoshop but when I save it as a jpg and look at it close up it seems like the dots get all pixelated. What should I do to stop this?
3Comments
    89 weeks ago
    Try saving it as a .png?
    89 weeks ago
    I did that too but It seemed like the something happened.
    89 weeks ago
    It depends on the resolution of the image and the size of the halftone dots.

If your image is less than 1500 x 1500 pixels across, then even modest sized halftone dots tend to look pixelly when you zoom in.

There are a number of ways to avoid this. Short answer, make bigger images and avoid dots that are too small.

1. Try not to go too small with the halftone dots. Beyond a certain point Silkscreen printing (how TeeFury prints shirts) cannot accurately and neatly print small dots. I couldn't give you an exact size, but the commas and periods in this text probably, wouldn't, print, correctly.

2. Assuming you are using bitmap graphics to create the design, it is best to create the image as large as possible to begin with. When working in Bitmap, the final .png image I often end up with can be as large as 4,000 x 4,000 pixels. Why so large? Because it retains smaller detail with less pixellation.

3. Create art as Vectors. This can be difficult and if your design isn't already vector and is rather complex, it's probably not worth the effort. Vector graphics scale to any size. But as I and number of other artist will tell you, including TeeFury's own Jimiyo, vectors can be a real pain in the butt to work with. Or rather Adobe Illustrator is.