Back to forum
rss 90 weeks ago
Here's an early incarnation of a new idea. I've to work out some proportions and placement. Also, the text won't stay like that either. I just put that it in like that to help explain the piece. What are your thoughts and comments.
12Comments
    90 weeks ago
    I like the idea! Keep working on it! :)
    90 weeks ago
    This idea has potential.

I should point out that you're depicting Hammer as a DJ (Disk Jockey) rather than an MC (Microphone Controller, sometimes Master of Ceremonies). You know how picky commenters can get on the front page, they'd never let that slide. :/

You can easily work a Microphone into the design and make it work with the MC theme.

Hammer + Hammer. Inspired :)
    90 weeks ago
    Good point Chuffy. I'll correct the over site post haste. One head set microphone coming up.
    90 weeks ago
    Here's where I'm at. so far I've kept it to 4 colors plus the shirt color. I think it would benefit from a broader pallet but I'm not sure what color to add. Overall, I'm still working on it. Should I keep the speakers? Also, how much equipment should I put on the table. After starting to add a mixer, I'm leaning towards just using the turntable. In short, I looking for some feedback. Thanks

MC-Hammer-WIP2.png
    90 weeks ago
    In all honesty, rather than rework this design I'd suggest you rethink it. I feel the record deck was an unfortunate wrong turn and while you've captured Fillion's likeness well, it's probably tied to the wrong theme.

When I think of MC Hammer, I think him in those big baggy pants. I think that's how most people remember him.

With the Captain Hammer Logo T-shirt, Nathan Fillion's face and a pair of baggy pants you could sell the idea to the viewer without the need for other props in the image or even text. A well excuted dancing pose might be all it needs.

I think this would keep it clean, simple and get the joke across.

medium_1019_mchammer.jpg
    Checkout those seven day sh***ers on the left! Classic Hammer. :)

These are just suggestions, as always feel free to ignore them.
    90 weeks ago
    Ok, new idea. Any new thoughts?
    MC-DJ.png
    90 weeks ago
    Yeah, I almost went with your suggestion Chuffy of putting the Cpt in those pants. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. It felt like a bit of an easy out, not to mention, that for me, that image was very counter-intuitive to who the capt is. Maybe I'm over thinking it. Either way, I like this idea better. Just like I thought DJ Wonerflow, named for the wonderflownium, sounds better than DJ Horrible.

In the end, I always appreciate your advice Chuffy. Maybe one day, it'll actually get me printed.
    90 weeks ago
    bump
    83 weeks ago
    Here's a new direction I've taken it. I've re-purposed the original design to save some work. What do you think. I'm still tinkering with colors.
    MC-DJ2.png
    83 weeks ago
    Looking good. A couple suggestions...

-Fillion looks good, but something is off with NPH. I would rework his eyes and nose.

-I get the wonderflow reference, but I think it would work better as DJ Horrible.

-You are using grey in the design so why not make his goggles grey like in the show?

-Lastly, I think the cartoon style you have going would benefit from a thick black outline around them instead of the very thin one you are using now.
    83 weeks ago
    Thanks for the feedback. Yeah for some reason, I've just had a lot of trouble with NPH. I've drawn his face at least 5 times, from a couple of different angles. I was tempted to just pull his goggles down over his eyes, Daft Punk style. Otherwise, he keeps looking too much like Kryten from Red Dwarf.
    As for Wonderflow v. Horrible, I kept thinking who wants to hear DJ Horrible? Wonderflow just sounded like a better DJ name and it protects his Horrible identity a bit as does the Billy Buddy persona if you follow typical super hero alter ego logic.
    Still, good comments. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for here. I'm going to keep piddling around and post some updates.
    81 weeks ago
    I've redrawn NPH and I've tweaked the colors. I'm not happy with the reduced color pallet but it's now down to 5 spot on a grey shirt. I'm not sure if I should continue development or just ditch the whole idea. I'm having trouble figuring out where to go from here. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
    MC-DJ3.png