Back to forum
rss 93 weeks ago
Been working on this one for a couple days now.
Photobucket
7Comments
    92 weeks ago
    the idea is very nice, but I can tell from how pixel-y it looks that this isn't exactly printable resolution. so, is this your basic sketch to throw into illustrator/corel later or what am I looking at?

like I said: the idea works really well ... I'd just suggest to clean it up. a lot , actually
    92 weeks ago
    I was hoping that you were actually looking at a finished design. I really appreciate the reality check.
    I looked at your designs and they are really cool and professional looking. Gives me an idea of what to work at. I especially like the A-
    Team/Lost MashedPotato.
    Again thank you for responding. I am actually trying to improve my tools, I have Corel in a box. just trying to understand the program a little more.
    88 weeks ago
    I've cleaned it up a bit. Let me know if I need to do more or should I do something else before I resubmit?
    Photobucket
    88 weeks ago
    Here it is on a grey tee:
    Photobucket
    88 weeks ago
    I'm torn. On the one hand I love Top Hats and the movie They Live; which I saw at the cinema when it first came out (#hipster #oldfart). On the other hand the text layout is troubling me. Although I'm as guilty as anyone else when it comes to bending/breaking/ignoring typesetting best practice, I think you've got a slight problem with balance.

I would consider forming a rectangular block or a pyramid shape with the text, perhaps if necessary moving the words to more lines. To help avoid the fonts scaling too large kern them wider as required. Finally I suggest that the word OBEY be made the largest.

Feel free to use or ignore anything I've suggested. I think you could make this work. Out of interest, how large is the original image?
    88 weeks ago
    Thanks for you comments and suggestions Chuffy. I did have to compress the image a bit in order to comply with the submission requirements. This is what I submitted.
    Photobucket
    The original image is about 20mbs using Corel draw which I'm stll trying to teach myself how to use
    88 weeks ago
    Johnnygood said: Thanks for you comments and suggestions Chuffy. I did have to compress the image a bit in order to comply with the submission requirements. This is what I submitted.

The original image is about 20mbs using Corel draw which I'm stll trying to teach myself how to use

Are you under the impression that the "640 pixel wide jpg, gif or png no more than 800 pixels tall and under 500kb." is how big your final art should be? I ask because that's common misconception. When submitting you're just sending TeeFury a preview not the original, much larger higher resolution art.

Anyhow, as Kgullholmen was explaining at the beginning of the thread, the illustration is a little coarse. This might be because you've resized the image or it may be because you're working at too low a resolution.

I've quickly mocked up an example of how a section of your artwork would look in vector graphics, allowing you to get smooth lines that can be scaled to any size.

tfforumsvectorexample.jpg
    Link to this Image

Working with vectors can be challenging. But if you have a program like Corel Draw, which can create vectors, you've got one of the right tools for the job. I think your Uncle Sam would look stunning providing you did a nice smooth vector version of him. It's a lot of work to do the tracing and tidying of the illustration to create a vector version (I know because that's the last and longest task of every one of my recent designs). However, stick at it and you'll have learned the vector skills that are invaluable for creating beautiful smooth designs.

Best of Luck to you. :)