Back to forum
rss 95 weeks ago
I submitted this a couple weeks back but I really felt like it could be better so I went back to work on it. I used the pen tool to get a smoother look and I added a little bit of background design to hopefully make it stand out a little bit more. The last image is of what it looked like before I made the changes when I submitted it. I'm thinking about resubmitting it. Let me know if you have any opinions or advice. Thanks!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
8Comments
    95 weeks ago
    first one foor sure the yellow highlight mario and help avoid the floating in space look.
    95 weeks ago
    Maybe jumping out of a mario pipe? also is this vector? the lines are a bit jagged and fluctuating in size.
    95 weeks ago
    Galvez3D said: Maybe jumping out of a mario pipe? also is this vector? the lines are a bit jagged and fluctuating in size.

The design on the bottom isn't vector. It was a hand drawing that i scanned into photoshop. Is that the one you mean? If so, which parts look jagged or uneven? The new one (the one up top) was done in Illustrator so I think it's vector. I'm very new to the program so I'm not sure but I don't really see any jaggedness. I scanned my drawing, traced it in Illustrator, then colored it in photoshop. Once it was back in photoshop, the layer was automatically named "vector smart object". So I think it remained vector. I'm definitely open to any advice you or anyone else has for me though and I appreciate your comment. I might try that pipe idea of yours too. Sounds pretty awesome. Thanks!
    95 weeks ago
    Your updated version looks much better than the first. I think the black lines really help. I like Galvez3D's idea of adding a pipe.
    95 weeks ago
    ok i added a pipe but it still needs a little work. does it look better with or without the pipe. Thanks

Photobucket
    95 weeks ago
    I think if you have the pipe you don't need the yellow
    94 weeks ago
    About the last post I was mainly looking at the last image as I was typing my comment, I see the vector now, much cleaner. And for being new to illustrator, very nicely done.

Did this quickly, just a few tiny tweaks you can possibly do. 1st off things circled in red could be adjusted a tiny bit to make the image look smoother. Like the sleeve stroke part can be blended into the arm stroke. The eyes are a tiny bit jagged. I agree with RiteGuyShirt about the yellow lines. You don't want to over crowd the image by having the lines and the pipe there. Pipe is enough to stand on its own. I did rotate mario a tiny bit to make him look straighter. And Lastly the sword's handle was a bit crooked to the blade. You could either straighten the handle (blue) or angle the blade more (green)

Anyways these are only suggestions, good luck its a nice idea and good design.

screenshot20120629at250.png
    94 weeks ago
    OK I think this really is my final draft. I took some suggestions and fixed up a few things. I needed some sort of background so Mario's shorts and sword handle wouldn't get lost on the black shirt. I came up with this and I'm really happy with it. I hope it doesn't overcrowd the shirt but I know I would wear it. I was just wanting to post it in here before I submit and see if anyone had any more feedback or advice. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Sorry to post so often in the forum but without this the only feedback I'm getting is from my 6 year old son and I think he's a little too soft on me :)

Photobucket

Photobucket