Back to forum
rss 266 weeks ago
I had this idea for a collab and wanted to run it by everybody.

I noticed that all the collab pieces featured on here are just a bunch of random pieces placed next to eachother that may or may not fit together. While I understand the appeal of that I thought it'd be fun to try something a little different.

What if we did something like postal service. One person starts a design and sends it to the next person to add to. That way we come up with a true collab piece that actually fits together because each piece was designed with each previous piece in mind. What do you think?
101Comments
    266 weeks ago
    Im down, thinks its Awesome
    266 weeks ago
    That sounds frikin sweet if you ask me! Where do I sign up?
    266 weeks ago
    Just one question, since there is no edit button its in a new post, did you mean postal service as actually using snail mail or just as an example and you meant to work on the Computer?
    266 weeks ago
    Also, sorry one more time, dunno why I capitalized computer. Is it god? Ok bye.
    266 weeks ago
    No, I was referring to Postal Service the band because that's how they formed their music in the beginning. We'd use whatever to design, and then email to transfer the piece from one artist to the next.
    266 weeks ago
    last night i had the strangest dream that everything was exactly as it seemed
    265 weeks ago
    Only three people? At this point this collab isn't going to be that big, it'll be great I'm sure but not too extensive.
    265 weeks ago
    I'm sure more people would be interested. Hopefully.
    265 weeks ago
    I'd be interested in that - sounds fun!

How would it work technically, though? Would everyone have to work in vector so that the file would be emailable?
    265 weeks ago
    yeah im interested, definitely. had the same question as jecrt though
    265 weeks ago
    Also interested, if we can figure out how it would work, etc.
    265 weeks ago
    Good, I'm glad we're getting more interest. Let me know your thoughts on how it would work logistically.
    265 weeks ago
    I'm totally interested! It's kind of like photoshop pong/tennis but you don't get it back, you just keep passing it on.
    265 weeks ago
    What if we kept it to a single color? That way we could avoid any extra colors/multiple layer issues. It'd still be a big file, but maybe more manageable. I work in Illustrator 98% of the time, but I know a lot you guys are photohaus fans.

YouSendIt could be also be a good way to send it out to each other (as long it stays under 100mb - which shouldn't be a problem if it's stuffed/zipped).

just my thoughts...
    265 weeks ago
    Kinda like the telephone game cuz your design will morph.

Hopefully we can find a way to make it Photoshop able too, because it would restrict the project less. I'm not exactly sure how it could work, but I don't know about others but I have webspace we could use to upload it to if I just make a temp FTP account.

Just wondering what you guys would think of that. Any betters ideas lets hear 'em.
    265 weeks ago
    Also, if we wanted we could keep the color scheme to maybe just Black, White and a single color. (Kinda like Faesthetic does it in its recent issues)

Or another way to restrict the colors? Dunno.
    265 weeks ago
    I'd also love to get in on this.
    Stormink's ftp idea is a good one too.
    265 weeks ago
    yeah - I think we could make it photoshop workable - as long as we limit the color. If we did an FTP type of deal, we'd have to be careful about who's working when to avoid having multiple copies floating around. Someone should start a list so we have a recipient order. (cough liner13 cough)

what if we do black and white on a colored shirt? Red maybe? That's a pretty easily palette to work with and there aren't a lot of red shirts.
    265 weeks ago
    I'd rather do a black shirt personally, hehe but thats just cuz I'm one of those black shirt whores. But I am very fond of the black, white, red combination, so sounds good to me! Just wondering what the others think.

265 weeks ago
    hey guys, thanks for all the input. The FTP thing is a great idea (thanks Stormink) and I think it would definitely be possible to work photoshop in there somehow. In terms of the multiple copy thing the way I was picturing it, that wouldn't be a problem. I'd form a list based on this thread and we'd just shoot emails or thread posts on here to the next person in line and then they could access the previous person's finished design. Since it is a collab I was thinking we would start with the TF bird in the center. Let me know what you think and if I'm missing anything.
    265 weeks ago
    That all sounds good to me, and the TeeFury bird in the middle of the would be a cool jumping off point. Would it be a white bird on a black shirt then? (Have you noticed my bias towards black?)
    265 weeks ago
    I'd be very down to do it if your lookin for more people.
    Sounds like a cool idea
    265 weeks ago
    Ok, so I don't know where liner is but I guess I'll make a list to get this thing going... (I am just doing this by order posted in here)

1. liner13
    2. biotwist
    3. Stormink
    4. jecrt
    5. mrdavenport
    6. brycedriesenga
    7. merandduh
    8. Isaac Burton

So if anyone else wants in I guess this is the time to speak up!

Also, I've set up a WebDAV server for us to upload the files to!
    (Email me or Twitter me for info so that I don't have to give the information out to everyone on the interwebz...)

So, sorry if this is wrong in anyway with what you had in mind liner. Just post if it is... And join people cmon it will be fun!

265 weeks ago
    I want in :P Ill join please
    265 weeks ago
    Sounds very doable. I be willing if ya got the room for one more person. I'll send you out an email.
  • Load More Comments