Back to forum
rss 105 weeks ago
I got the idea for this design, funnily enough, after watching LOTR again. It's based on that old WWI poster with the picture of Kitchener on it, only I've replaced Kitchener with Agent Smith. My original idea was more of a sort of spoof agent recruitment campaign, but I think this one fits a lot better. (Especially because when he replicates he forces his hand into the other party, and on the poster he's pointing at the viewer, and, oh well...)

I'd like any constructive criticism you could give me (or if you think it's rubbish, feel free to bash). Also, I don't know what to put instead of the "God Save The King" bit on the original poster, so any ideas about that would be extremely helpful.

Photobucket
8Comments
    105 weeks ago
    I'd have to see the poster you're basing this off of, but i think the design needs work. I like the drawing but I don't love the typography or the colors.

Maybe i haven't seen the Matrix enough, but i don't know how well a propaganda poster meshes with the Matrix. I don't get the connection.
    105 weeks ago
    I'm basing it off this poster:
    large_WWI_3.jpg

It's not meant to be a serious propaganda poster, just a little bit of fun. The Kitchener poster is a pretty well-known image where I come from, and it's pretty much a spoof of that.
    105 weeks ago
    I like the design better after seeing this, but depending on where people are from they might not get the allusion.

I still fail to see the connection between the Matrix and propaganda though.
    105 weeks ago
    It's really only because Smith was kind of "building himself an army", if you will, between the second and third films. And also because I like the hand-pointy-thing. It's just sort of poking a bit of fun at the idea of him building an army and "recruiting" every single human still attached to the Matrix.
    105 weeks ago
    ohhh! i didn't bother with the 2nd and 3rd movies, that's why i was missing the reference. srry
    105 weeks ago
    Ah, I see. If you get the chance you should watch them - there are some pretty epic Smith moments. ;)

Besides, it was always meant to be a trilogy from the outset, just Warner Bros didn't want to commit to three films before they saw how the first one did.
    104 weeks ago
    I added a yellow background, which is more reminiscent of the original poster. I'm in two minds about it. On one hand, I think the overall design looks better on yellow than it does on white. On the other hand, I miss that extra shade of grey in the Smith illustration.

Photobucket

And I still don't know what to put instead of "God Save The King". The only thing I've come up with so far is "God Save Ourselves", but it doesn't seem quite right somehow.
    104 weeks ago
    bump