Back to forum
rss 112 weeks ago
Recently my wife bought me for my birthday a wacom Bamboo Tablet.
Am new to this and I see the potential that it can land me at one day.
but for now its like learning how to tie your shoes all over again.

Anyone else use tablets, if so what kind do you use? and what are your pros and cons .

Also would like to use this thread for sketches on the tablet only
So if you have a late night sketch in Colour or B and W
maybe we could showcase this type of art in here?
6Comments
    112 weeks ago
    I've been using a Wacom tablet for about 6 years now. I have an older one - the Intuos3 - but I've always been happy with it and never felt the need to upgrade. I remember when I first started using it with the Stylus, it felt really unnatural...but after getting the hang of it, I've never looked back. Truthfully, at this point, I couldn't use a mouse for designing if you held a gun to my head. You will have to do a good amount of tweaking to get the right flow and feel...not only to the tablet itself, but also the tools in whatever programs you are using. But once you get it just right, it's so much better than clicking and dragging.
    112 weeks ago
    I'm considering purchasing a tablet at some point, and Wacom seems to be the most frequently praised wherever I look.
    I'm also intrigued to know what programs you use with the tablet?
    112 weeks ago
    I use an Intuos3 too. it's my second tablet (started with an Ultrapad ages ago) and it's been treating me well so far. it has enough assignable buttons, a zoom strip and and is really comfortable to use.

anything you see in my profile was done on that board
    and most of this
    http://kgullholmen.deviantart.com/gallery/
    112 weeks ago
    the50ftsnail said: I'm considering purchasing a tablet at some point, and Wacom seems to be the most frequently praised wherever I look.

I'm also intrigued to know what programs you use with the tablet?

I'm currently using Adobe CS5 - I work pretty much exclusively in Illustrator for any T shirt designs....but I'm well versed in all the Adobe programs. I think it really depends on what your preferences are...some people absolutely love Photoshop, but I'm way more into vector art. I spent the last 4 years working in marketing design, so the majority of my day was spent in Photoshop and InDesign. Since leaving the field, I've really enjoyed getting back into Illustrator, largely because I almost never used it at my job.
    112 weeks ago
    Ah yeah, I currently have my sights set on the CS5.5 design premium package (along with a course to learn how to use it through methods other than trail and error). I'm currently using Inkscape for vectory stuff and Photoshop for everything else with designs on here - but figure it's probably not worth getting used to a tablet with those programs, then acclimatising to a new program.

I've only used InDesign once (which, somewhat embarrassingly was when I was being tested on it during an interview for a marketing design job), but I can certainly see the appeal of it. Not quite so much on here though...
    112 weeks ago
    100% Gimp although I tried a few sketches with the sketch program that comes with the wacom tablet.