Back to forum
rss 130 weeks ago
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on shading in either Photoshop or Inkscape? I'm finding a lot of my designs - such as the Game of Thrones/Harry Potter crest thing - look distinctly 2D compared to some of the amazing ones that have come up (such as the "Wanna See A Dead Body" design which was the day's tee a few days ago), these usually have some sort of shading on, which obviously is fine with Teefury's method of printing.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Whilst on the subject of adding depth to an image whilst keeping the colours down, what's all this half-tone stuff about?

Cheers,
large snail

10Comments
    130 weeks ago
    How about doing original artwork instead of lame pop culture references?
    130 weeks ago
    Snail... do a web search for halftone dots in Photoshop (or Illustrator if used). That should give you a good idea of what you can do with halftoning certain colors; like gradients or shades. That is what gives the other designs depth. It can be tricky so try out a few different things and see how it comes out.

And by using halftone dots with your six color palette you can create the illusion of more by shading and gradients.

Good luck.

And dlord, can't wait to see your orginal artwork.
    130 weeks ago
    What is an orginal?
    130 weeks ago
    To be honest dlord, raging about posting pop-culture reference tees to a site that almost exclusively produces tees that are based around pop-culture references is a little like shouting at a zebra for wearing black and white together. I have some original stuff, but I don't feel that this would be the place to submit it.

Warbucks360, thanks, I'll have a gander. I'm loving your designs, orginal or otherwise.
    130 weeks ago
    the50ftsnail said: a site that almost exclusively produces tees that are based around pop-culture references.

I think they had a good balance back in 2010.

Browse around and compare it to the gallery circa August 2011.

It's full of lame logo attempts(4), crests(2), and all of it pop culture references(15).

That's why original, from scratch kind of stuff, would be nice.
    130 weeks ago
    I think the last original art work on here was the ships on the waves flowing down like the 7 layers of hell and that was a boss design! and im kicking myself for not buying it
    130 weeks ago
    Money talks kids.
    Its proven that pop-culture shirts sell A LOT more than pure original shirts.

But...saying that I too would like to see some original artworks, its always fun seeing what people can dream up.
    130 weeks ago
    Contact a site called texsource.com. They have always helped me with all questions and also have youtube tutorials.
    130 weeks ago
    dlord has said the same thing on a few threads now. While I understand your point about wanting more original artwork, there really is no need to be such a DonkeyKong about it.
    130 weeks ago
    I've only recently discovered the joys of halftoning and from my experience it's alot of trial and error just messing with the bitmap and halftone settings to get your desired effect. Also depends on the shape and transparency you're after but it's all worth it once you nail an outcome you're happy with.
    ... saying that I could well be going about it the long way so I'll check out that site as above and read up a bit more!