Back to forum
rss 135 weeks ago
no more future drama! just STOP ... and drop.

Photobucket

2 colours on a blue-ish shirt-ish thingy

:D
12Comments
    135 weeks ago
    love it! Love the tee color too
    135 weeks ago
    the edges need to be a little thicker. but besides that. great!
    135 weeks ago
    I love Futurama but I'm not sure how well a t-shirt will sell with suicide plastered across it. To a lot of people suicide isn't funny.

I guess it depends on how big a Futurama fan you are and how comfortable you are with wearing the subject.

I hope I'm wrong cause it's another excellent design in your collection but something to think about.
    135 weeks ago
    sure, it's a concept the makers of the show had some quarrels over with FOX and what-not ... I see how it is controversial now, but this shirt is about 1.000 years ahead of our times. it's the BRAVE NEW WORLD :D

on a more serious note: the cultural criticism inherent to good science fiction uses concepts like this not to undermine ethics & morality, but to give us a discreet hint that there are tendencies of this in our consumer culture already. what it says is that "if we had suicide booths now they would be produced by Apple feat Lockheed Martin, look amazing and hipsters would stand in a queue to kill themselves right there." that kind of thing.

you'd have to be aware of the role of science fiction in literature* to wear this design as it is, but seeing how this is a nerdy-geeky kind of site, I'm sure people will get it right away.

it's not making fun of suicide, it's making fun of consumer culture.

*this is what separates utopian/dystopian s/f novels like Brave New World, 1984 or Fahrenheit 451 from simple futuristic adventure stuff like Star Wars et al
    135 weeks ago
    There's as much food for thought in Star Wars (at least the Original Trilogy) as there is in those novels. Lucas read a lot about philosophy and religion in order to come up with the stuff he did. He didn't just dream it up in his playpen while playing with action figures.
    135 weeks ago
    I didn't say Star Wars was void of meaning, hell no. its philosophical and ethical reasoning is (well, that's Lucas for you) well embedded and thought through (like LotR for example). but it's not inherently critical towards modern culture ... like V for Vendetta, Brave New World or even more terrifying examples of dystopian SF.

Futurama (esp season 1) has that spirit of "well, everythings much better than it is today, but is it really?"
    I love that

"you gotta do whatcha gotta do!"
    135 weeks ago
    My worry isn't that people won't get it. I agree Teefury's market will appreciate the joke, I just don't know if that appreciation would equal sales. I could see people liking the concept but leery of what others interpretation of the t-shirt is when viewing it on their chest. We are all just walking billboards.

135 weeks ago
    well, I know it's my kind of humour, that's all I know. I'd wear it and I'd actually be happy if people would ask me about or and/or feel offended. if people feel offended by this they NEED to be offended ... everything is right where it belongs. if they are curious about it .. I'd be happy to explain what it means (I wrote my final thesis about dystopian literature, I can talk about these things for ages)

anyway: TF has had designs about serial killers, about people slaughtering each other with swords, guns, blown out brains, anything really ... and to quote Nirvana "on the bright side there's always suicide"

:D
    135 weeks ago
    I think it's brilliant and would definitely buy it if/when TeeFury print it.
    135 weeks ago
    jAgreed, great design! My only question is shouldn't the "Since 2008 A.D." instead read "Since 3001 A.D." or something similar? I've yet to see any suicide boothes around town, though maybe the east coast is just a little slow to adopt the suicide booth craze sweeping the nation.
    135 weeks ago
    haha, thanks and
    @YepltsBrando: true dat, but that's the date they laid down in Space Pilot 3000 (the booth itslef says "Thanks for using Stop'n'Drop, America's favourite suicide booth since 2008)
    guess back then (it's from 1999) this was still 9 years into the future, but I wanna keep it canon ... 'cuz that's what I do (big time Futurama geek speaking)
  • image zipper
    135 weeks ago
    Great work! I love Futurama and would definitely wear this.