Back to forum
rss 136 weeks ago
Hey everyone

I've been an active TF member for over a year now. Unfortunately, i missed out on Spacemonkeydr's Abercrombie and quidditch; it was for sale about 3 days after i started using this site back around november of last year i believe.

Point is, i have the slythern and ravenclaw versions of the shirt. assuming that a hufflepuff shirt will be designed/submitted/sold, i'd like to have the gryffindor shirt in order to complete the set.

The gryffindor quidditch shirt looks a bit different on the spacemonkeydr devianart site and on redbubble. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience buying shirts from redbubble or maybe even deviantart to tell me how they compare to TF's quality shirts. are the designs any differernt, different material, different sizing?

thanks.
12Comments
    136 weeks ago
    The Short answer is that there is a difference in both the type of print, the weight of the shirt and the shirt sizes (RedBubble shirt sizes come up smaller). Whether you prefer one to the other is a matter of personal opinion.

Since I have both copies of my design printed here http://www.teefury.com/archive/1329/Scotty_s_Starship_Repair/ and a copy of it printed by RedBubble I can give you the long answer based on direct comparison.

Firstly, for Mens sizes at least, the RedBubble Shirts are smaller so you will want to go a size up.

Secondly, the cotton weight of a RedBubble Shirt is lighter than a TeeFury Shirt. To be honest, TeeFury uses one of the heaviest weight T-Shirts I've seen (for the mens anyway). It's not a major factor, but there is a difference.

Lastly, the slightly more complicated part of the answer. There is a difference in the print of a TeeFury and a RedBubble shirt.

TeeFury prints using SilkScreen which tends towards a thicker print.

RedBubble uses Direct to Garment printing which much like a computer printer, as the name suggests, prints directly to the garment.

What this means is that on a TeeFury shirt the colors you see are individual inks. Whereas RedBubble is printed using a CMYK process so colors are made up of very tiny colored dots like you would see in magazine picture. You shouldn't notice much of a difference but there is one if you look for it.

Hopefully the answer hasn't confused you more. Preference is subjective, just make sure you check acual size measurement rather than going for an M, L or whatever.

Check wikipedia for Silk Screen printing, Direct to Garment printing and CMYK if you want to be incredibly bored but more informed about the difference in printing method.
    136 weeks ago
    I don't have a really complicated awnser like Chuffy, but in my opinion the RedBubble shirts have a poorer quality than teefury. I don't know exactly why, but I din't like them as much.

On one hand though, one of the shirts I got was in many colors while the other one had just a few, and the one with few colors looked better.
    136 weeks ago
    thanks for the responses. I looked at the sizing charts and the chest for medium is 19.5 inches and the length is 29 inches. TF is, i believe, is 20 inches by 29 inches. so the sizing doesnt seem that different. is it misleading?
    136 weeks ago
    jpsenior said: thanks for the responses. I looked at the sizing charts and the chest for medium is 19.5 inches and the length is 29 inches. TF is, i believe, is 20 inches by 29 inches. so the sizing doesnt seem that different. is it misleading?

If my experience with the Mens Large is anything to go by, those RedBubble sizes are misleading. The TeeFury Mens large fits comfortably with room, the RedBubble Mens large is tight. If it's just an inch difference I'd be very surprised.

I just tested this by overlapping a brand new unwashed TF mens large over brand new unwashed RB mens X-large and they are virtually identical.

On RedBubble you'll probably want to go a size larger.
    136 weeks ago
    thanks chuffy. I'll take your word for it.
    136 weeks ago
    I'm somewhat conflicted between TeeFury and RedBubble. Sometimes I wish TeeFury employed Direct-to-Garment for some of the designs on darker tees, but there's an art to screen printing I can appreciate too...
    136 weeks ago
    I ordered 'Walker This Way' shirt from Redbubble as the one I got from here was far too big for me now. They had to send it twice as the print was a much poorer quality in my opinion (although wearable), and it had this weird box all the way round the image which just looked cheap. I rejected both, the customer service was excellent, but I'll never order a shirt from there again.
    136 weeks ago
    Thanks for the comments. i'm gonna try a few shirts and make a decision for myself, bearing in mind everything i've read here. maybe ill come back later and letcha know what i think
    136 weeks ago
    Big J, I looked up that design and I'm not sure what you mean... The design is inherently rectangular. =/
    136 weeks ago
    Aye it is haha, what I clumsily meant to say was there's an extra 2 inch border all the way round where the shirt has been discoloured slightly. Like it's been bleached or exposed to too much heat or something. It's a small-ish thing but since I noticed it it really annoyed me.
    136 weeks ago
    Oh now I see, yeah that sounds like a printing error on RedBubble's part. I've been lucky I guess, I've bought three so far with no problems. I had never seen that shirt before now and actually like it a lot so I'll see if mine has the same problem. Thanks for the heads up!
    136 weeks ago
    I asked them to let me know what caused it but no reply. The fact it happened twice in a row put me right off. Hopefully yours is fine. If I'd just read the sizing guide on TeeFury before I'd ordered the original none of this would have happened!