15Comments
    284 weeks ago
    Word.
    284 weeks ago
    Pronoun.
    284 weeks ago
    lol
    284 weeks ago
    oh so witty as always. i'm just jealous. but, if for some strange reason the art biz didn't go well you could always be a comic. ;P

anyway, i long for the days when i didn't have a "normal" 8-5, m-f job. it sucked at times but at least my life wasn't predictable. monday's always brings these thoughts to the front of my mind.

do you artists survive on your art or are you forced to join the rat race at times?
    284 weeks ago
    I've been unemployed/freelancing/sabbatical for almost two years now. I think I would like to get back in the Race. It really does help me be more productive.

Thing is, when you work 9-5, then you Look Forward to weekends. When freelancing, there are no weekends... at least for me, even if I wasn't productive, I would have this lingering feeling of irresponsibility if I went out, like maybe I wasn't working hard enough. Less guilt with 9-5. My dad always hounded me to work a 40 hour job, which is fine and dandy, but sometimes, my brain thinks, well... That's not how you get rich, working for someone... etc etc. J.O.B. is just over broke is what they used to tell us in Multilevel Marketing company I worked for.. They promoted owning your own business as working for someone, your potential is always capped, with your own business, unlimited.

Blah Blah.

I like Mondays, I've always hated the weekend.
    284 weeks ago
    I detest Monday. I have other, better things I could be doing at home... Like laying around and watching movies... or playing video games.
    284 weeks ago
    I have survived on freelance with occasional temp interior painting, landscapping gigs, and in the past a lot of teaching comic art and illustration.

But basically I have been able to pay my rent/taxes through my art. I'm luckily to have built a small client base along with sometimes winning prints for tees, it tends to balance. I would like more money, and sometimes feel my girlfriend deserves more what money could bring but we are happy, and I prefer happiness over having all the money I want. Weekends don't really exist for me but I kinda like that I'm my own boss and I push myself. The worst part of not doing the 9-5 is my life is unpredictable unless I have a project, when clients don't need work and I am not working on something like just finishing up illustrating this kids book, it's smurfs and I would like the knowing what I will be doing all week long (for money security) that 9-5's bring. There are pros and cons to both but I think it's important if you do art, that you don't let the 9-5 kill the motivation to do art through the week on the side, that way when Monday comes around you got some artwork besides rent work to look forward to.
    284 weeks ago
    Well thankfully this was my last Monday with class from 9-5! But I usually detest them as well...
    284 weeks ago
    Am I the only one who loves Mondays? I have all Sunday to chill out then every Monday Is the start of a whole new week to get things done. as the week goes by I get more frustrated At how little I actually got done but by that point its the weekend already and I no longer care.
    as the world economy continues to freeze you will learn to love your 9 to 5s
    284 weeks ago
    jimiyo being more productive?
    as if.
    283 weeks ago
    dont get me wrong... I love my job... even if it is a 9 - 5'er... (more like 7 to 4... but whatevs..)

I just dislike Mondays...
    283 weeks ago
    dooder you're totally my twin! IIIIII SAY "WHATEVS"! haha it pisses my friends off but i think it's hilarious.

i dunno...i guess because i've been doing this job for 5 years things are getting stagnant. my days are becoming routine and i think that's what bothers me most. that and i'm grown up and i still don't know what i want to be.

kudos to you that have direction in your life.
    283 weeks ago
    HOLY smurf I ALWAYS SAY D00DER!!!!

bleou, you need to update your profile here so that I can stalk you more efficiently. :p
    283 weeks ago
    werd! that's so weird.

i will do that. i haven't had a stalker in a while!
    283 weeks ago
    snice! I'm totally on it d00der!