Back to forum
rss 141 weeks ago
Hey there I've come up with another idea and was wondering if it would generate any interest.

Once again I've been watching movies whilst doing fatherly duties and came up with the below.

Basically it's just most of the vehicles in the Blues Brothers movie chasing down the blues mobile whilst many cop cars are in a mess in the background. I'm possibly thinking of doing it in the newer Grand Theft Auto illustration style.

I'm thinking of labeling this one "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now."

Here's a rough idea of what it would look like...

What's your thoughts?

35Comments
    141 weeks ago
    If by Grand Theft Auto Illustration style you mean either Cel Shading or the game's box art style, then yes, I think a design like this could look amazing.

It's gonna be a tricky task keeping the number of colors down whichever way but I look forward to seeing how this develops.
    141 weeks ago
    Hehe Chuffy, you're a champ! You seem to be the dedicated moral officer here. Is it usually this quiet on these forums?
    141 weeks ago
    pancreasboy said: Hehe Chuffy, you're a champ! You seem to be the dedicated moral officer here. Is it usually this quiet on these forums?

Nature abhors a vacuum and a kind word costs nothing if you have the amount of spare time I have. Also when I see an idea I like and no-one else bothers to reply it seems such a shame to leave it unanswered.

Perhaps people just looked at your hollow outline picture and didn't bother to read the words. I filled in the gaps with my imagination; it was well over the 6 color limit :D

The forums get quiet sometimes as interest ebbs and flows. And the grab bag tee trade threads have a habit of sinking posts about designs, making it difficult to keep track.

Speaking for myself, I enjoy seeing designs being created. I like to see how other people work and despite having accumulated a reasonable amount of technical knowledge I can always learn more, particularly where the art side of things is concerned.

What I've learnt from you is a quick way of previsualising a design. I've a tendency to add more detail than that too early on, but I like the way you've done it. I think I'll try it on some of my future designs.
    141 weeks ago
    Yeah no sense wasting too much time if it ain't gonna go anywhere :P
    141 weeks ago
    If you did this, I would have to buy one for my husband - he's a big Blues Brothers fan!
    141 weeks ago
    I like where this is going, and I definitely think there would be enough recognizable elements so the average Joe will know it's Blues Brothers. Excited to see what the finished product will look like...and hopefully, there will be one.

Also, Chuffy brings up a good point about the grab bag tee threads choking the rest out. Isn't there a better way to organize the threads? I feel like there should be categories within the forum to separate the trade threads from the design threads. Let's see if the Teefury mods care enough to do something about this...
    141 weeks ago
    I like this idea a lot! I'd definitely have to get one for my brother.
    141 weeks ago
    I think it's worth doing.

I've always like the cover art of the GTA games and with #5 recently announced now would probably be a good time to ride that wave of hype.
    140 weeks ago
    BAHAHAH I love this idea! I would totally pick it up! Have you made any more progress on it? I can't wait to see it as it develops if you choose to keep working on it!
    140 weeks ago
    Aw man. This would be amazing! Please keep working on it!
    139 weeks ago
    Sorry guys for the delay, young kids take up time :)

But I thought I'd show a little bit of progress since I've had a few nibbles from you on the design.

artwork001.jpg

Not sold on the text yet, that was more of a bit of a muck around :) And colours and shading have yet to come.

Hope you like.
    139 weeks ago
    "Who Caught the Katy" is now playing in my head!
    138 weeks ago
    Ok so here's an update for those of you who are following...

artwork002.jpg
    138 weeks ago
    looking great so far! Can't wait to see the finished version.
    138 weeks ago
    Cool idea. I love the blues bros.

I'm not feeling the text though.
    138 weeks ago
    Thanks guys, yeah the text is probably gonna go in the end.
    137 weeks ago
    THIS SHIRT IS GOING TO BE SO FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!

I can't WAIT!!!! *drools*
    137 weeks ago
    This is looking so good. I'd like to see the stage in between you laying out the comp and vectorizing your work.
    137 weeks ago
    Looks good, if I were to critique at all I'd suggest maybe moving the cars in the background a little bit closer to the front, looking a slight bit small at the moment.
    137 weeks ago
    Thanks for those comments guys.

@ Caddywompus1 to tell you the truth I just use a lot of photographic reference to make the job easy.

@ Heisenberg891 I've deliberately made them that small so that the bluesmobile stands out but I'll see how it all looks near the end, but thanks for bringing that to my attention.

btw here's another update...

artwork003.jpg

hmm, now do I do the smashing police cars next or the chopper???
    137 weeks ago
    Being a Blues Brothers fan I get it, and love it! My only issue is that from the front I don't identify the Bluesmobile well, even with the giant bullhorn on the roof. Would Jake and Elwood silhouettes in the windshield help?
    131 weeks ago
    yeah I'll see how it looks when I colour it Ted.

So I think I finally got everything drawn up (undecided about the helicopter), what's everyone's thoughts?

But apart from that it's colour time!!!

artwork004.jpg
    131 weeks ago
    Looking pretty slick - although for me there isn't enough movement (apart from teh flying cop cars) - it just feels a tad static.
    Not really sure to suggest in terms of fixing that though :/
    131 weeks ago
    yeah i think i'd need to have a blurred moving background or change the angle and have "jet streams" coming off the cars or something. But I see what you mean zombiemedia
    128 weeks ago
    Ok here's what I'm thinking of submitting, but thought I'd get any last thoughts from you all.

can't decide which one of these to go with...

artwork005.jpg

artwork006.jpg
  • Load More Comments