Back to forum
rss 141 weeks ago

Every time I submit something (well, this is my second one) I then see something that I might want to improve upon, ha...but what do you guys think? I don't want to overwork it because I've got loads of other designs I'm working on, LOL.
15Comments
    141 weeks ago
    I would buy it as it is, my only two concerns would be the tip of Pikachu's tail seems a little off when it follows the edge of the badge like that, it might be just me. The only other thing is the latin translation, I just googled it for kicks and it came out with "I must all", which caught me off guard.
    141 weeks ago
    It's a beautifully drawn piece, but I fear it would fall foul of the lawyers. Nevertheless beautifully drawn. Your illustration skills are second to none.

Here's a few things I would suggest when creating a T-shirt design like this.

Quick summary: The six inks are too many. Use gradients and halftone them.

The How and the Why...

The design doesn't need 6 ink colors. And the subtly different inks you have chosen wouldn't translate clearly on a Silk Screen printed shirt (the process TeeFury uses). Ink on T-shirts isn't like light on a computer monitor and just cannot manage that kind of fine variation.

Your design is at most a 3 ink color design.
    The Darkest color, a Yellow and White.

White will be needed as a base so that the T-shirt material color doesn't show though. Don't concern yourself with putting white into the design at all unless you want it to show through as some of the highlighted areas.

Use the Yellow all over your design. Imagine it's a silhouette of the shape of your current design. Make that shape all yellow.

Then add in the detail using the darkest color on your current palette. I see you are already familiar with halftoning, so that's how you will create the illusion of more color depth. Of course, use solid dark color for the areas you want darkest.

You can also create the highlights by halftoned and solid white over the top.

On the subject of halftoning, don't go too fine. Silk Screening doesn't manage halftoning like a magazine printer could manage. Keep it fairly coarse and keep the gradient layer over areas you want halftoned just in case. That way, if your halftoning is too fine, TeeFury could use your gradient and Halftone for you.

Now, of course, supposing the design was selected as it currently is. It's something that someone like Jimiyo the TeeFury Art Director could fix. ie turn the 6 color design into a 3 color one for you. However, he's a busy fellow and would probably be more likely to select a design which he didn't need to do so much to adapt it for the printing process.

Or at least, I'll bet some days he wishes he had.

So knowing this early on is best. The more work you do to make the design ready for printing the better. And you ensure the design you create is that much closer to the finished result.

You have no problem with the quality of your illustration. And if you go that extra mile to be print ready it will get noticed by someone eventually.

Sorry if this seems incredibly long and complex, I'm unable to draw at the moment because of neck pain and the medicine makes me chatty. :)

141 weeks ago
    Oops, that was a lot of text :o
    141 weeks ago
    I would suggest using the classic starter pokemon from the old games to represent the houses. Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur (from Red/Blue) and Pikachu (from yellow).

Otherwise I love the concept and would own one of these in a heartbeat...
    141 weeks ago
    Thank you so much for the tips, Chuffy! Though you know, I knew pretty much when I'd made those idiotic decisions regarding the color that I should've just had them at 3 or 4 to begin with. Half way through I remembered the very little screen printing training I had back in the mid-90's..."keep it simple". :) But it was very helpful to know what TF looks for and what they can possible do...my disabilities (and recent injuries) prevent me from sitting at the workstation for very long, but one night I just got a little too into this piece and got too intricate. I can def. see how it can be done without some of the shades I used, and will try and fix that up (I'm also working on two other pieces at the moment).

I hope you aren't suffering from chronic pain or anything, because that's what I suffer from (chronic migratory joint pain and myalgias, since childhood). I had to take a long break from drawing too, but this piece is the first one I did (the other one I have up, the Quartz/Parchment/Shears one was actually the second one I'd done). I'm on low-dose morphine and other painkillers most of the time. Pain isn't cool, especially when all you have is your desire to create. It's the Vicodin that makes me chatty, though since I have the privilege of also having access to medical "greenery", my wife tells me that I get REALLY chatty on that, LOL.
    141 weeks ago
    saiyan_queen said: I would suggest using the classic starter pokemon from the old games to represent the houses. Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur (from Red/Blue) and Pikachu (from yellow).

Otherwise I love the concept and would own one of these in a heartbeat...

This is actually the result of some Potter nerding by me and my wife, so that's why Jigglypuff is there and not Squirtle...Pikachu is there because he's Pikachu, but the others are there because of the synergy/harmony of the names: Gryffindor/Bulbasaur, Hufflepuff/Jigglypuff, and Slytherin/Charmeleon.
    141 weeks ago
    JBKapnMorg said: I would buy it as it is, my only two concerns would be the tip of Pikachu's tail seems a little off when it follows the edge of the badge like that, it might be just me. The only other thing is the latin translation, I just googled it for kicks and it came out with "I must all", which caught me off guard.

Thanks!

The Latin is the translation of "Gotta Catch 'Em All", but since it cannot be directly translated (especially by any online translation app), it says "(I) (must have) (them all)". I consulted someone who has a degree in Latin for this and this was the best one that she could come up with, the other being "Oportet (must have) me (i) eas (them all)." She'd asked what declension I wanted it in too, so I knew that I was working with someone who knew much more Latin than I do...and I thought that "Necesse Ego Omnia" would look much better on the banner than "Oportet Me Eas". :)
    141 weeks ago
    My neck is never a problem until it is. And then it's bad and lately it's frequent.

Anyway, I thought that your design would probably fall into the category, "great but it'll never get past the lawyers". I've seen a lovely design by Dakin Costello which I think was rejected on the same basis.

If you could stylize the Pokemon creatures rather than doing the very good job of drawing them like they are, you might get away with it. You're in the amusing position of being a victim of your own art skills. You could say, you've captured the Pokemon too well. :D
    141 weeks ago
    I love it. But Im with saiyan_queen: Squirtle instead of Jigglypuff.
    Also, I'd like it if you based the elements of the pokemons to the color of house: bulbasaur to slytherin, pikachu to hufflepuff etc. Otherwise: Awsome.
    141 weeks ago
    Oh my God. My son would drop a brick if he saw this. Brilliant work, really hope it makes it through! :)
    141 weeks ago
    I love this design! After reading your post about the play on the names as the reason for picking the Pokemon you did I think that was very clever and I like the idea, but my first thought when looking at it was "Where's Squirtle?" like most people it sounds like. Although I love the extra nerdy factor you were trying to add, I think having the normal starter Pokemon would work better, so Charmander too, but Charmeleon looks great as well!
    141 weeks ago
    I love it! My only suggestion was going to be concerning which Pokemon represent which houses - unlike everyone else I was thinking it might make sense to have like Arbok for Slytherin and Staraptor or something for Ravenclaw. Jigglypuff totally works for Hufflepuff though, and Pikachu works for Gryffindor because well, he's Pikachu. :) However, I like your explanation and reasoning with the name similarity so it works for me as is! Very nice design at any rate :)
    141 weeks ago
    I think Harry's scar and Pikachu's electric type should be connected visually. I agree with Surfercat, Slytherin should be represented by Arbok (I prefer ekans since he's more of an internet meme)

140 weeks ago
    This is pretty cool! But i think there needs to be more done. Because i didn't get the "harry potter" part of this until i read the comments. It just looks like a cool Pokemon emblem. Which could work if you want to take it in another direction. But If you really wanted to match the 4 Hogwarts animals you could do:
    Gryffindor Lion/Arcanine but Pikachu could work
    Slytherin Snake/Ekans or Arbok
    Ravenclaw Eagle/Pidgeot
    Hufflepuff could still be Jigglypuff based on the name, that's humorous.

I think the emblem part looks great but the pokemon drawings look...idk, it's not bad, they just look really really round? Kind of lazily cartoonized, idk, just a little bit off. In Bulbasaur's legs it's very glaring. Pokemon are already cartoons, just saying.

I think there's potential here!
    (another random suggestion, you have leaves around the boarder, maybe add more from another pokemon type)
    138 weeks ago
    I love this concept. Could be workshopped a little. Like the house selection above ^^. Though it would be cool to tie in pikachu's tail to harry's scar. Instant buy.