Back to forum
rss 144 weeks ago
Long time lurker, 2nd time poster...

I submitted a design over a month ago, and at this point would safely assume it was rejected. So I thought I would share it and hopefully get some insights on improvements before making a second attempt.

Photobucket

The concept is pretty simple, a Fringe Gang and Scooby Gang mash-up.

Question: I have quite a few ideas for shirts, just limited time to get any art produced. Would it be much to my benefit to wait and submit until I have at least 5-6 pieces to put up, or is it just as well to submit one at a time?

Any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
43Comments
    144 weeks ago
    Here's a pic showing a little more detail on the faces.
    Photobucket
    144 weeks ago
    I quite like the artwork, but i didn't get the Scooby-doo reference at all, until you mentioned it.

And as far as submitting 5-6 at time, MJ usually said that you would have a better chance on getting your stuff picked by doing just that.
    143 weeks ago
    I actually think that's amazing! Yeah, the Scooby Doo allusion isn't readily apparent, but it's so well done!

Love the phantom Observer in there!
    143 weeks ago
    I LOVE the idea! I love fringe! love scooby doo! but idk about the faces or the coloring or the ghosts. I still love this! but i'm not 100% sold on it yet
    143 weeks ago
    Thanks guys! The image is pulled from the intro to the old Scooby Doo Where Are You? cartoon (which most of you are probably too young to remember).

Scooby-gang-1969.jpg

I had trouble trying to come up with only 6 colors to both encompass the basic Scooby gang palette AND the tone of Fringe. The "happy medium" might not be extreme enough for either cause. :-/

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I might salvage this one, or should I cut my losses and chalk the whole thing up to experience at this point?
    Thanks!
    143 weeks ago
    Even though i quite like your style, i think it needs to , style wise, look more like the cartoon. If you want to make it a parody of course.

Oh, and, i don't know if it's just me, but Walter looks like a floating sheet with John Noble's head.
    143 weeks ago
    noelpenn said: Even though i quite like your style, i think it needs to , style wise, look more like the cartoon. If you want to make it a parody of course.

Oh, and, i don't know if it's just me, but Walter looks like a floating sheet with John Noble's head.

I agree. If it looked more like the cartoon it'd be solid
    143 weeks ago
    The Scooby reference was obvious to me (and I'm really not that old, do kids these days really not watch the original Scooby-Doo? that's sad :( ) but I know nothing about Fringe so that could be part of the reason. I'm kind of intrigued by the cow though :P

Very nice drawing, well done, I like the cartoony/caricature style! If only there weren't a color limit because I think it would look amazing with another color or two. Ah well.
    143 weeks ago
    I think it's a great design

and I agree that the Scooby Doo reference needs to be pushed a little harder. I guess simply changing all their hairdos & clothes to look more like the Scooby crew could do the trick.

Fred (Peter) for example needs to have his kerchief & stupid shirt collar, Velma (Astrid) should wear a turtleneck and so on

and I think that would make it a perfect design. just give it a little more Scooby

anyway: great style, love the details & colours. what does the code at the bottom say?
    143 weeks ago
    hmm ... the code appears to read J-I-N-K-I-ES

LOL ... good one
    143 weeks ago
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

When my co-designer (i.e., my lovely wife) and I were working on this, we saw it as a Fringe shirt first with Scooby overtones. We discussed how far to go with giving the characters attributes of the Scooby crew (haircuts, appropriate character clothes, etc), but the more Scooby-heavy it became, it more confusing & obscured the Fringe aspect became. It's along those lines we decided against doing them in the caricature style of guest-stars on The New Scooby Doo Movies. While people with a lot of character in their faces like Don Knotts, DonkeyKong Van Dyke, Jonathan Winters, etc, came through clear (which would work great for someone like Walter), others with less defined features like Tim Conway, Sandy Duncan, Davy Jones, etc, looked extremely generic, IMO. We were afraid that would be the case with Astrid, Peter and especially Olivia.

I just don't want to make it blatantly Scooby-Doo and then have the opposite problem of "It needs more Fringe elements". I do agree that Walter's shoulders could be tweaked though.

@kgullholmen - Yes, good deciphering. The code is JINKIES. The name of the shirt, btw, was "Zoinks, Gene!"
    143 weeks ago
    Why not make the Fringe characters wear the outfits of their Scooby Doo counterparts? You've got the faces and the code to give away that it's Fringe, but not much to give away that it's also Scooby Doo. The outfits are very recognizable too, so it might help!
    143 weeks ago
    I agree with everyone else - the artwork is stellar but it definitely needs more Scooby. The Scooby gang's outfits would really pull it together :)
    142 weeks ago
    By popular demand...

Zoinks-Gene_2.jpg

...now with 100% more Scooby garb.
    142 weeks ago
    Bazinga! Now it's an instabuy :)
    142 weeks ago
    Now that is a way better design and I believe you have a winner here! :)
    142 weeks ago
    awesome!
    142 weeks ago
    I would SO buy that shirt !!!!
    142 weeks ago
    I can't believe this shirt was turned down, but the Fringe shirt today was selected! I would totally buy this, and - even though I'm a diehard Fringe fan - I passed that one up.
    142 weeks ago
    I didn't buy the recent Fringe shirt either, but I would definitely buy this.

My one problem is Olivia's mouth. It sort of looks like she has a little moustache.
    141 weeks ago
    true for the moustache

I would buy it right away, great idea, and very well done

cant wait for tonight episode !
    141 weeks ago
    Thanks all the FB guys! Since Ms. Torv gave us fits trying to get her likeness down, we'll leave her moustachesque mouth alone (for now ;) ).

We've re-subbed it once more. Wish us luck!
    136 weeks ago
    Did you get picked up ?
    136 weeks ago
    I've been waiting for this too show up was positive it would be a insta pick.
    I pledge to buy 4 teefury..... quite a few fringe fans in the family.
    136 weeks ago
    Not a peep. I guess it's just not their thing. C'est la vie...
  • Load More Comments