Back to forum
rss 130 weeks ago
Hey there!!

Been browsing and buying from TeeFury for some time now, and have since come up with dozens of ideas I'd love to see on shirts; but making crisp and clear designs of the sort that TeeFury favours is something I've never really gone into before.

Anyway, I've finally poked and pottered my way through one idea; a very simple one, a homage to quite possibly one of the greatest, most terrible, heart-and-gut-wrenching moments in all of cartoon history.

I question myself and my work enormously though; all sorts of things go through my mind! Is this something people would actually WANT on a shirt? Is it too close to the imagery in the show for me to rightfully submit? Does the freehand nature of the 'straight' lines work, or is it offputting? Could I lay it out differently (extending/subtracting any of the background elements) to make more effective use of the space and place it better on a shirt? Should it be longer (vertically or horizontally)? Are people going to spaz out because they don't like grey?

Should I add rain?

And then of course the more technical questions plague me; what format should I submit it in, if I gather up the confidence to do so? Are the shades of grey too similar, will it WORK as a print? Aaaand so forth.

All and any feedback of any kind would be wholeheartedly appreciated! :D
12Comments
    130 weeks ago
    It's a nice illustration but that episode was more harrowing than when Slappy the Squirrel got Alzheimer's, and I swear she did, or I myself had an episode. Not quite as bad as two WWII orphans starving to death, but I'm not sure I'd want a can of fruit drops filled with someone's little sister's bones on a t-shirt either. Guess I'm just not a Goth anymore? lol

But it is a nice illustration.
    130 weeks ago
    It looks great! I'd say no rain. Seymour was sorta tan, so if you were worried about too much gray you might try to see how you like the extra color, but I like it the way it is.
    130 weeks ago
    I like the design without the rain. It focuses Seymour's sadness in his longing for Fry. Also, I think it would be nice though to add some element of Panucci's Pizza into the design. Otherwise you just have a sad wet dog out in the rain.

Let this abomination unto the Lord begin! :)
    129 weeks ago
    I agree with dexy. It's a great design but all it is is a sad wet dog in the rain. You need Panucci's pizza in there somewhere...maybe shrink the dog a bit and add in a busted up pizza box on the sidewalk next to him.
    129 weeks ago
    Very nice work! I agree with everyone else that there's no way I would have picked up the Futurama reference as he is now, though it makes perfect sense when you know it is. He makes me think of promos for adopting shelter dogs or promoting spaying and neutering pets, which is a great cause but not really related to Futurama.

That said, as much as I adore Futurama and anything related to it and how much I would love to have a Futurama shirt, I don't know if I would wear such a sad shirt. I can hardly stand to watch that episode it's so sad so I would want to cry every time I thought about my shirt haha! But I'm sure there are people who would wear it nonetheless. :)
    129 weeks ago
    Yeah, definitely needs a bit more Futurama stuff to give it away. Maybe put the four leaf clover in there if you want to get all of the saddest episodes in one t-shirt.

I'll pick it up if it gets printed though :)
    129 weeks ago
    That was personally the first episode I ever saw of Futurama, so if you managed to get this printed I would definitely pick it up! I agree with everyone else though, it needs more. Don't go over board though...
    129 weeks ago
    The Panucci's Pizza idea is cheesy and just reminds me of all the other "fictional business" shirts that have become beyond tiresome as of late.

However, it would be cool if you scattered past moments shared between Fry and Seymour faded in thoughout the image (I guess by using some kind of half tone effect?), or even just a shot of Fry on his bike smiling in one of the corners. I'm curious to see how you would apply your style to Fry or any of the other characters.

I'm sure most people would have never thought to pay tribute to Seymour in the way you did, so kudos!
    129 weeks ago
    Thanks so much for the feedback so far, everyone!!

Haha, I was anticipating some responses along the lines of Antistrophe's, but the fact that not EVERYONE feels that as their instant gut reaction gives me hope. :D (My dog is my world, and any episode of ANYTHING that gives a nod to the relationship between man and dog is basically a winner for me. Even if this episode gets me sniffly every flipping time... can't say I didn't feel buckets of relief after watching Bender's Big Score!)

You've all given me some good food for thought, and I'll have a good hard think about what I can do to make it more obviously 'Futurama'. I particularly like your ideas, Scafl, though I'm also thinking about the old pizza box (and I've gotta admit, massively tempted to throw in the clover somewhere, too).

But anyway thanks again, folks!
    129 weeks ago
    Would be an instant buy for me!
    129 weeks ago
    give him the rain, make this smelly old mutt suffer!!

sheesh, saddest thing that ever happened to television, great shirt idea, neat execution

and I agree: throw in a Panuccis "do not ever tip the delivery boy" box and you're fine
    129 weeks ago
    What episode is this? And would you recommend it to a Futurama "newb"/"newcomer" ?