Back to forum
rss 131 weeks ago
Haven't decided on what I'm doing yet. Haven't subbed this either. I figured this forum has been kind to me so I'd put it here as the first place to get eyes on my latest piece. I may or may not Tweet this until later tonight when I finish my half tone issue with the colors. Currently at 7 colors and going to make it 6. Just need to test a couple options. Feedback is always welcome.

Side note: This piece was being worked on (during a 30 car ride) as I Tweeted at Bamboota about inspiring me to be a better artist. I hope you enjoy this as a direct response to your inspiration.

Photobucket
36Comments
    131 weeks ago
    I meant 30 hour car ride...

I fixed the color issue-
    Photobucket
    131 weeks ago
    This is so much fun! I love the way you imitated the retro coloring of the 60's, plus the details are great as well (the Comic Code stamp in the corner is perfect). Good luck, I hope it gets printed!
    131 weeks ago
    that is pretty smurftastic
    131 weeks ago
    Heh, I see the color you reduced was white, I was going to say maybe have some lighter highlights on your surfer, but I think you made the right choice color wise.

Overall I think it looks great! You nailed the style and I like the color fade around the edges.

The only thing I can think of is I would center your bottom text box (an all-new book...).
    131 weeks ago
    oh oh ... and maybe try a slightly brighter green so your text reads a little better? You lost some readability when you took out the white. I honestly probably wouldn't have though much of it had I not seen your first version though...
    131 weeks ago
    Good catch on the centered banner. I upped the value of the green with a touch more red. It should pop better. However the jpg isn't a great representation of the actual color. It reads just fine when I print it out.
    Photobucket
    131 weeks ago
    I know it completes the parody, but the image might flow better as a shirt if the "AN ALL NEW...etc" banner was removed. MIght make it less of a rectangle
    131 weeks ago
    Disagree with my man Walrus.. keep the banner, it looks great.
    131 weeks ago
    The banner stays my friends. It frames the design nicely and it pays tribute to not just the first issue of Silver Surfer but many issues!
    131 weeks ago
    Great work, my friend. I applaud your effort. Overall I love it. The concept is perfect and very clever. it almost looked too busy at first but the more I look at it I really like it. Honestly, my only suggestion is to make the "smurfer" a lighter grey. Bordering towards a white... obviously not white but much lighter. I think you want him to pop more and if you used that lighter grey in the other areas it would help as well. Maybe a grey with some color in it like PMS 5315 or PMS Cool Grey 3?

Either way... props to all your hard work.
    131 weeks ago
    I'm really liking your work but I think it would make a much better poster. At least for me it's a bit busy for a shirt. Great idea & excellent execution on it!
    131 weeks ago
    I really love it, Silver Smurfer vs. Galactamel!
    131 weeks ago
    One tiny nitpick though, I misread "Smurfel Comics" as "Smureel Comics" at first because of the shared colors. Just move it up a tiny bit and you're golden!
    131 weeks ago
    Makes a great give-away poster as well shirt on Navy and Dark Grey!
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    131 weeks ago
    I like it on dark grey more, TeeFury's navy shirts just look like black to me. =/
    131 weeks ago
    Ok so I think we may have a winner with this version 2. The old version I'm keeping for stickers and posters. This version I feel is shirt ready. Thanks to all the positive feedback.

Photobucket
    131 weeks ago
    I would stay with the Marvel Comic look. You're not going to avoid the blocky nature of the design anyway might as well drive home the comic book parody.
    131 weeks ago
    I agree cruddy there is no way around the rectangle because it's how I drew it up and it was meant to emulate a comic cover on t-shirt in the first place(By the way I went to JCPenny the other day and saw a couple Comic Cover Tees all with the same feel as version 1). 2 of my favorite shirts in the Gallery are Comic covers both blocky in nature- Sesame Six and That Goonies Action Comics Spoof. I love those.

I like the second version better as a shirt though... however I can always submit 2 versions and see what they like or don't like. Anyways I'm a sleep on this design for another day or 2. Maybe after comic con and a nice relaxing weekend I will be fresh in mind and body.
    130 weeks ago
    Finally subbed this just now... I can't believe I forgot to! Wish me luck :)
    128 weeks ago
    2 new pieces for consideration.

For Boardwalk Empire fans- Boardwalk Monopoly (If image isn't fully shown just click link above it for full art)
    http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm94/sgelenter/BoardwalkEmpireTF.jpg
    Photobucket

For Final Fantasy fans- Cactuar Cooler
    Photobucket
    128 weeks ago
    I love all of them and you're a true artiste.

But by G-d, Cactus Cooler in general is such a gross soda, LOL.
    128 weeks ago
    Love the Cactaur Cooler! Takes me back to ad classics like Sunny D!

"Let's see what mom has... Soda, orange juice, purple stuff... SUNNY D!"
    128 weeks ago
    Thanks guys... funny thing is I never even tried Cactus Cooler... and now for some strange reason I must try it. NO MATTER HOW BAD IT IS!
    128 weeks ago
    Love the Boarwalk empire one !
    128 weeks ago
    The Boardwalk Empire one hardly needs consideration it's already gonna be on another site tomorrow. I won't say which one because the Teefury word changer thing will PUNCH it into something else anyways. Congrats on getting picked there though dude.
  • Load More Comments